The Arbroath Thread

Really sorry that Steven Doris is leaving the club. Honestly feel that if he had been given more  match time he would have improved and worked hard at getting his weight down and getting fitter.

As already said, a club legend. A player who never hid during a game, always gave 100% for the team and scored some memorable goals.  He leaves with best wishes from me, and I'm sure from all Lichtie supporters.  

He never looked quite right wearing another club's colours, but I hope that he will fit in and score regularly for his new team. All the best Stevie.

Absolutely the right time for Doris to be moving on, he’s had more than enough time to get himself fit, don’t buy the whole not getting enough game time. He needed to go away in the summer and change his diet and do so much extra work outside of the club to be in the condition to play in the championship and it looks like he couldn’t do this. 

That said, he’s one of my top 3 favourite players of all time. A true Legend and thank him for all the good moments he gave us. 

Absolutely the right time for Doris to be moving on, he’s had more than enough time to get himself fit, don’t buy the whole not getting enough game time. He needed to go away in the summer and change his diet and do so much extra work outside of the club to be in the condition to play in the championship and it looks like he couldn’t do this. 

That said, he’s one of my top 3 favourite players of all time. A true Legend and thank him for all the good moments he gave us. 

Absolutely spot on

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Going by the fact he's scored 7 so far this season and got 14 last season I'm going to say that this may be a slight exaggeration

Four in the league, two of them pens. The amount of glaring chances he's missed over the last two seasons is unreal.

Guest bernardblack

Going by the fact he's scored 7 so far this season and got 14 last season I'm going to say that this may be a slight exaggeration

Nah it’s accurate. Don’t get me wrong he will be a huge miss, but he’s best playing with another striker.

He’s work rate is unbelievable and the amount of times he recycles the ball is fantastic....but one on ones he always takes that extra touch.

13 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Will believe Hilson when I see it, still think it’s madness for Forfar to sell him or swap him whatever the deal is at this stage of the season. 

Just said on STV news match preview "new signing Hilson"  is cup tied

Hilson will score a lot when there’s defenders in front of him, that’s a given. Granted his one on ones are his downfall but he has scored a number of them.

Our best player by a country mile and will be a bigger miss than McCallum would be. Without his ball retention and work rate, we would be a lot worse off already. There’s a reason why Dick Campbell signed him so often. I’ll be gutted to see him leave us, but he has earned another chance at Championship football after his last time in the league saw him injured constantly.

Fully anticipating some of our fans to bizarrely give him abuse for leaving, the same fans that boo other ex Forfar players for ‘chasing money’ when they left to be closer to home or to play for a better manager.

7 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

Hilson will score a lot when there’s defenders in front of him, that’s a given. Granted his one on ones are his downfall but he has scored a number of them.

Not sure it's a given he will score a lot - he has two from open play this season in a terrible  league 1.

Nah it’s accurate. Don’t get me wrong he will be a huge miss, but he’s best playing with another striker.

He’s work rate is unbelievable and the amount of times he recycles the ball is fantastic....but one on ones he always takes that extra touch.

I'm no saying that he's Brazilian Ronaldo at one on ones just that the 'canna finish to save himself' is clearly an exaggeration. When he's been fit and at Forfar he's had 4/5 seasons where he's went into double figures.

It's an improvement on what we have anyway and a different kind of forward player.

Great age too. Hopefully he can kick on here