The Arbroath Thread

We have two of the best centre-backs in the league, so if we're going to be signing another one then it's going to be a young promising talent, not a gamble on a 28 year-old who hasn't played full-time before. That's not a slight on him - I haven't seen him play much since his Cowdenbeath days, but us giving him a miss is hardly "snobbery".

That’s fair enough about being unproven in full time.

Two of the best centre halves in that league is bold though.

I genuinely think ToB is probably one of the most talented players I've ever seen play for us in the 20 years supporting the club, but some of the stuff regarding where he could play etc. is verging on farcical. ToB is an outstanding player for us, he's an excellent League One player and in the Championship this year I feel he's been one of the best defenders in the division so far. Is he better than Lee Ascroft; who is 3 years younger and has 200 games in the top two divisions under his belt? Mark Reynolds; who at the age of 32 is playing at the lowest level he ever has now after 300 odd games in Scotland's top tier and England? Even Andy Graham at Alloa; who has proven himself with both Dumbarton and Alloa in several hundred games at a level consistently above ToB in the same period? Jordan Forster, younger, fitter, bigger, far more experienced at a higher level? I could go on.....

ToB is our best player, and he has been fucking outstanding over the past few years. If we were in League One and at the top end of it like we were this time last year, by all means ToB is one of the best players in the division and could easily play at a higher level, but we're now at the bottomish end of the Championship. Every team has a best player, and the majority of teams in this division have multiple players better than what we have. Also, in footballing terms quite clearly ToB would be better placed at any full time club in the top division, and the majority of those in our own division. That's in footballing terms; in financial/ life terms it's very much a different case IMO, which is exactly why part time clubs like ourselves and Alloa are able to sign individual players who are better than the smaller full time clubs at this level can.

I agree with the previous post regarding criticism of players - 100% agree there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and being a bit of a dick about it...... however I was then completely lost with the comparison between Greig Spence and Ryan Wallace. Ryan Wallace is part of the reason we are currently where we are and was one of our best players in the first half of last season before he was benched. Greig Spence came in with Luke Donnelly and we proceeded to be fairly shite for 4 months and there was a noticable downturn in form. This season, everyone agrees we've struggled up top.  We've struggled since the day we stopped playing Wallace, which is rather coincidentally the day we signed Spence.

In terms of unnecessary criticism and abuse, I couldn't agree more that none of our players should be abused while wearing the shirt, however Ryan Wallace is a huge part of why we're at this level while Greig Spence is a huge part of why we've been piss poor upfront for 12 months, comparing the two of them is like telling folk to relax about Bobby potentially getting injured because we can always call wee Lari back and it'll all be fine.

I should add I wish Spency all the best; obviously a good player in there who has proven himself previously at League One/ Two level no bother, and he still shapes like and does all the right things a good striker would. He's lacked any sort of form with us and obviously is drained of confidence, and I think at League Two level he will should do a job and get some confidence back into him.

None of the above changes the fact he was, sadly, absolutely rotten for us.

4 hours ago, Mexico said:

Clubs like Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren & St Johnstone etc should be looking at him and it’s pure snobbery if they aren’t.

I'm fairly sure we've "watched" him fairly regularly for the past 18 months...

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

not a gamble on a 28 year-old who hasn't played full-time before.

.. but this. To move to us he'd be expecting a first team wage, and frankly he's not going to walk into our strongest side. Our first choice pairing is Liam Gordon and Jason Kerr, one is 22, the other 23, and in their 5 games together since Gordon returned from injury, they've conceded one goal.

If we're signing a 3rd choice CB it'll likely be someone nearing the end of their career with top flight experience, or a younger player looking to build that experience. Most clubs probably feel the same.

I think O'Brien falls right between those, so will be passed over for experience/potential most of the time. The difference in quality of attack between the top flight and second tier is vast when you're facing it every single week.

No wonder Arbroath FC a reputation of having some of the worst fans slating their OWN players!!
Some of the comments on here in regards our own players is shocking imo, this season it is Spence/Doris (a Red Lichtie legend who has won 3 League titles for us/Swankie another Red Lichtie legend and home grown player who has scored loads of goals for us and made the club money/Kader who has scored many am important goal for us/earlier on it was Luke and even Hammy, each season some "fans" take a dislike to certain players (Wallace last season) and SLAUGHTER them regardless how they play, do you wonder why some players lose confidence as they either read crap on pages like this or hear it from the terraces from their OWN fans!!
There is a MASSIVE difference in constructive criticism "Spence was poor today" than just total abuse of our own players "Spence your fecking shite"..............i just do not get it?
There have been loads of AFC players i have never rated or did not like but i always supported them and never shouted abuse at them, yes i would state they were poor or unfit or missed a sitter but i would not openly in public (at a game) or on forms abuse them calling them "shite" or "feck off out the club".
Over the years loads of ex-AFC players especially the local ones have always said we have the worst fans for abusing their own players.
Anyway in regards TOB, without doubt one of the best players for the Red Lichties in my lifetime and reminds me a bit of George Rowe, without doubt he could play at a higher level, i would say bottom to mid SPL no problem, but as has been said he has a decent job will be one of the best paid part-time players in Scotland and he is coming up to be 29 years old so the only teams in Scotland who would pay a wage to make it worth his while are the O/F, the Edinburgh teams and Aberdeen which is not going to happen, would it be worth his time going to St Johnstone or the Dundee teams i doubt it.
Anyway all the best to Spence at Stenny and i really do hope you start scoring goals again as you obviously have the talent but like loads of other prolific strikers in the past who came to Gayfield for whatever reason it never worked out, but at least you leave with a League Title medal.  
Well said. We should get behind every player who pulls on the jersey and try to give them encouragement instead of continual sniping.

Arbroath Football Club do not have a reputation of having the worst fans. This is utter fucking nonsense

Agree.

If you go to football matches anywhere in the world you will know that every club has its clowns and critics. Arbroath is no different. You just learn to filter it out and not let it spoil your enjoyment of supporting a great club.

Agree.

If you go to football matches anywhere in the world you will know that every club has its clowns and critics. Arbroath is no different. You just learn to filter it out and not let it spoil your enjoyment of supporting a great club.

It was a fucking ridiculous statement. At the last Q&A Pink spoke very highly of our support and thanked us for the encouragement shown towards the players. If folk aren’t happy with hearing deserved criticism from the terraces then they should do something else with their Saturday afternoons.

Yes i agree,19 years old,hell ,ive got cheese in the fridge older than that.

Obviously won’t be as rounded a player as Luke or Doris yet due to his age. Can only hope he is as successful as Erwin was a few years back. At least we know he can’t be any worse than what Spence was

It was a fucking ridiculous statement. At the last Q&A Pink spoke very highly of our support and thanked us for the encouragement shown towards the players. If folk aren’t happy with hearing deserved criticism from the terraces then they should do something else with their Saturday afternoons.

A lot of our fans, including a lot on here seem to think if something or a player is problematic is isn’t up for discussion just because we are doing well.

Loads of people immediately reply “aye but look where we were when Dick took over” as a default response to anything.

Same when people have rightfully criticised Doris (for example) for his performances and weight this season. It’s easy to acknowledge that Doris has been a good servant overall but this season has been completely unacceptable.

A lot of our fans, including a lot on here seem to think if something or a player is problematic is isn’t up for discussion just because we are doing well.

Loads of people immediately reply “aye but look where we were when Dick took over” as a default response to anything.

Same when people have rightfully criticised Doris (for example) for his performances and weight this season. It’s easy to acknowledge that Doris has been a good servant overall but this season has been completely unacceptable.

Agree, and agree that everything should be under scrutiny because things can't improve if they aren't.

On the day and at the actual games though whilst the match is being played, shouting abuse at players is the thing I have a problem with and do not like. Won't help or improve anything and will probably make it worse on that day and from that day on too.

Confidence in football is huge, difference in Donnelly is night and day and he's done very well to be able to overcome the abuse he was getting (at games) and to keep going. Not all players are capable of that.

I don't think Arbroath fans are any better or worse than fans of any other club in the country in regards to anything