The Arbroath Thread

THANK. FECK. SPENCE. IS. GONE.

When he started a game we were left with 10 men, when he was subbed on we were left with 10 men.

He was horrific for us. Hopefully he doesnt perform as bad for Stenny as he did for us.

And is that Chalmers now signed?

Aye that's confirmed

Never been his biggest fan, but Omar has made some good contributions this season. Would definitely keep him until the summer at least.

Agree. Had a few excellent games I thought. Auchinleck and Dundee. Although it will never not be frustrating seeing him come on for Bobby when we are really needing a goal [emoji23]

Great at coming on when we're up however

Think it was more of a response to the linking him with the OF, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen mate..

You’re listing them like they are all at a similar level though, he’d easily get a game for Hearts just now, possibly Hibs too.

No wonder Arbroath FC a reputation of having some of the worst fans slating their OWN players!!

Some of the comments on here in regards our own players is shocking imo, this season it is Spence/Doris (a Red Lichtie legend who has won 3 League titles for us/Swankie another Red Lichtie legend and home grown player who has scored loads of goals for us and made the club money/Kader who has scored many am important goal for us/earlier on it was Luke and even Hammy, each season some "fans" take a dislike to certain players (Wallace last season) and SLAUGHTER them regardless how they play, do you wonder why some players lose confidence as they either read crap on pages like this or hear it from the terraces from their OWN fans!!

There is a MASSIVE difference in constructive criticism "Spence was poor today" than just total abuse of our own players "Spence your fecking shite"..............i just do not get it?

There have been loads of AFC players i have never rated or did not like but i always supported them and never shouted abuse at them, yes i would state they were poor or unfit or missed a sitter but i would not openly in public (at a game) or on forms abuse them calling them "shite" or "feck off out the club".

Over the years loads of ex-AFC players especially the local ones have always said we have the worst fans for abusing their own players.

Anyway in regards TOB, without doubt one of the best players for the Red Lichties in my lifetime and reminds me a bit of George Rowe, without doubt he could play at a higher level, i would say bottom to mid SPL no problem, but as has been said he has a decent job will be one of the best paid part-time players in Scotland and he is coming up to be 29 years old so the only teams in Scotland who would pay a wage to make it worth his while are the O/F, the Edinburgh teams and Aberdeen which is not going to happen, would it be worth his time going to St Johnstone or the Dundee teams i doubt it.

Anyway all the best to Spence at Stenny and i really do hope you start scoring goals again as you obviously have the talent but like loads of other prolific strikers in the past who came to Gayfield for whatever reason it never worked out, but at least you leave with a League Title medal.  

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

You’re listing them like they are all at a similar level though, he’d easily get a game for Hearts just now, possibly Hibs too.

He can play in the Premiership no bother (in my opinion) but that's really over rating him. All of they clubs could easily have signed or could sign him if they wanted and none will even be looking or considering it

He can play in the Premiership no bother (in my opinion) but that's really over rating him. All of they clubs could easily have signed or could sign him if they wanted and none will even be looking or considering it

Clubs like Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren & St Johnstone etc should be looking at him and it’s pure snobbery if they aren’t.

Ross County are looking to sign Coll Donaldson ffs, TOB is head and shoulders better than him.

12 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

No wonder Arbroath FC a reputation of having some of the worst fans slating their OWN players!!

Some of the comments on here in regards our own players is shocking imo, this season it is Spence/Doris (a Red Lichtie legend who has won 3 League titles for us/Swankie another Red Lichtie legend and home grown player who has scored loads of goals for us and made the club money/Kader who has scored many am important goal for us/earlier on it was Luke and even Hammy, each season some "fans" take a dislike to certain players (Wallace last season) and SLAUGHTER them regardless how they play, do you wonder why some players lose confidence as they either read crap on pages like this or hear it from the terraces from their OWN fans!!

There is a MASSIVE difference in constructive criticism "Spence was poor today" than just total abuse of our own players "Spence your fecking shite"..............i just do not get it?

There have been loads of AFC players i have never rated or did not like but i always supported them and never shouted abuse at them, yes i would state they were poor or unfit or missed a sitter but i would not openly in public (at a game) or on forms abuse them calling them "shite" or "feck off out the club".

Over the years loads of ex-AFC players especially the local ones have always said we have the worst fans for abusing their own players.

Anyway in regards TOB, without doubt one of the best players for the Red Lichties in my lifetime and reminds me a bit of George Rowe, without doubt he could play at a higher level, i would say bottom to mid SPL no problem, but as has been said he has a decent job will be one of the best paid part-time players in Scotland and he is coming up to be 29 years old so the only teams in Scotland who would pay a wage to make it worth his while are the O/F, the Edinburgh teams and Aberdeen which is not going to happen, would it be worth his time going to St Johnstone or the Dundee teams i doubt it.

Anyway all the best to Spence at Stenny and i really do hope you start scoring goals again as you obviously have the talent but like loads of other prolific strikers in the past who came to Gayfield for whatever reason it never worked out, but at least you leave with a League Title medal.  

Well said mate, it’s an absolute sin that and even worse when your own fans turn against you as I have discovered on a few occasions just for being really supportive or passionate about the club 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻 Welcome Logan and all the best to Spenny & Bob 👍🏻

As much as Hearts are shite, I doubt they'd swap Craig Halkett or John Souttar for O'Brien.

Maybe he will stick by you, that's rare and nice to see in football these days and there are special circumstances which allow that to be feasible, but I suspect if we or United or St Johnstone truly wanted him, he'd be playing for the respective team very shortly.

Other than the fact that he's a welder, there's nothing to suggest he'd refuse the step-up.

You saying Spence “obviously has talent” this can’t be based on what you’ve watched when he’s played for us?

I think fans are absolutely right to critique that, he’s been an abomination for us, there’s really no getting away from that.

The signs were there before he signed for us.

Fair point on Wallace, if he was still here he would easily be our best striker.

Clubs like Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren & St Johnstone etc should be looking at him and it’s pure snobbery if they aren’t.

Ross County are looking to sign Coll Donaldson ffs, TOB is head and shoulders better than him.

That's Ross County though.

Souttar and Halkett are better players and Hearts should still be looking for better than they 2.

Don't disagree with St Johnstone, St Mirren or Kilmarnock. They have much less of a budget.

ToB is magic but being overrated big time. Can't believe Rangers and Celtic were even mentioned.

As much as Hearts are shite, I doubt they'd swap Craig Halkett or John Souttar for O'Brien.

Maybe he will stick by you, that's rare and nice to see in football these days and there are special circumstances which allow that to be feasible, but I suspect if we or United or St Johnstone truly wanted him, he'd be playing for the respective team very shortly.
Other than the fact that he's a welder, there's nothing to suggest he'd refuse the step-up.

Welder and a welding inspector are totally different. You could make 40/50/60k a year as an inspector, about the same or more as he'd get at the clubs you've mentioned.

Wow

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Welder and a welding inspector are totally different. You could make 40/50/60k a year as an inspector, about the same or more as he'd get at the clubs you've mentioned.

If Dundee United wanted him, truly wanted him to be their first choice CH in the top flight, is it out of the realms of possibilty that they couldn't offer in the region of £2k per week? (£104,000 salary)

Considering our average was around £1200 last season (And that figure incorporated some of our youth players), I'm sure we were paying some duds close to that figure and that's before you take into account bonuses etc.

Edited by Ludo*1