The Arbroath Thread

We are the latest to be linked with O'Brien. I take it his contract is up at the end of the season?
What's he like as a CH? No doubt he'd be an improvement on what we have but is he no nonsense or silly? No disrespect intended, but is there a reason he's still part time? Finally, do you think he'd be good enough for a title pushing team next season and potential of top flight football thereafter? (If we've still got McPake - we needn't worry about that!)
Cheers.

I believe TOB’s contract runs to the end of 20/21 season. Yes he is good enough for the step up to the full time ranks, in my personal (and biased) opinion he is the best CB in the league.

Just now, lichtie23 said:

I believe TOB’s contract runs to the end of 20/21 season. Yes he is good enough for the step up to the full time ranks, in my personal (and biased) opinion he is the best CB in the league.

How much do you reckon it'd take to tempt your board? It's more than likely just media nonsense if you can hold out for a decent fee.

How much do you reckon it'd take to tempt your board? It's more than likely just media nonsense if you can hold out for a decent fee.

Personally I’d like 6 figures but the rumours are that our board are happy for around the 70K mark

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We are the latest to be linked with O'Brien. I take it his contract is up at the end of the season?

What's he like as a CH? No doubt he'd be an improvement on what we have but is he no nonsense or silly? No disrespect intended, but is there a reason he's still part time? Finally, do you think he'd be good enough for a title pushing team next season and potential of top flight football thereafter? (If we've still got McPake - we needn't worry about that!)

Cheers.

Yeah mate he is a fantastic player and arguably like Lichtie23 said  the best CB in the league again IMO. We are very lucky to have him and as far as I know he is very happy with us and has no desire to go full time due to the fact he has a really great job that he loves and pays well and that’s the only reason he is part time but there is no doubt he can play in the premiership with ease if he wanted too, if he established himself then again like Shankland I wouldn’t honestly be suprised if he got a  Scotland call up he is that good 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

St Johnstone were rumoured to be keen on him last summer, the club have done well to tie him down on a long term deal and i agree that i wouldn't consider anything less than 6 figures so that probably rules out clubs like Dundee and St Johnstone signing him. 

The game changer would be if Thomas was keen on a move full time then i think the club would probably relent a bit on any fee. Led to believe he has a very good job outside football and will undoubtedly be one of the highest paid part time players out there so a full time club would have to come in with a very good offer to tempt him.

13 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Welder I think

Hmm. He'd be pretty daft to give up the chance of full time football to keep in at the welding (IMO). He's obviously not offshore - and even if he was it's a trade he can walk straight back into. 

Edited by Dele

Hmm. He'd be pretty daft to give up the chance of full time football to keep in at the welding (IMO). He's obviously not offshore - and even if he was it's a trade he can walk straight back into. 

Full time football has been an option for him for as long as I can remember so his salary must be good. Obviously supplemented by us giving him a cracking PT wage for the football. He's 29 this year so hopefully he's settled.

26 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Full time football has been an option for him for as long as I can remember so his salary must be good. Obviously supplemented by us giving him a cracking PT wage for the football. He's 29 this year so hopefully he's settled.

Fair points and I understand that but I just think if he doesn't give it a crack now he'd be forever wondering whether he could have 'made' it. 

Maybe it's self doubt that's kept him PT?

Fair points and I understand that but I just think if he doesn't give it a crack now he'd be forever wondering whether he could have 'made' it. 
Maybe it's self doubt that's kept him PT?

I'm not sure. Probably just gets the best of both worlds at the moment.

I mean Dundees average salary last year was something like 62k per annum and they're the 6th/7th biggest club in the country.

Sure the bottom half of the Prem as it stands ranges from 35-50k average a year. A good job outside part time football can easily match that.

I don’t want to see him go but Hearts now need a decent CB. That should be at least the level he could play at.

I'm not so sure. He's a cracking player, but Hearts should be aiming to be the 3rd best team in the country. Not that good. Comfortably good enough for any lower half Prem team (I realise this is where Hearts are currently)

The top half of the Prem (Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen) in terms of wages is vastly superior to the figures I quoted above. Average wage at these teams is between 110k-140k a year. If he was at that level he'd have been playing there a long time ago.

That's a completely different opportunity in comparison to the kind of teams that have looked at him in the past and a total no brainer

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cheers.

To be honest think it would be a step backwards for O'Brien going to Dundee. 

If he does leave Arbroath he should be leaving for Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or the big 2 in Glasgow not another Championship club. 

To be honest think it would be a step backwards for O'Brien going to Dundee. 
If he does leave Arbroath he should be leaving for Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or the big 2 in Glasgow not another Championship club. 
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]