The Arbroath Thread

13 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

The Doris situation is simple. Ever since Donnelly and Spence joined in January, Doris has been overlooked regardless of how poor they 2 have played.

Donnelly has improved this season.

Spence has been shite since his first game for us. Shite the next. And so on and so on. Yet he keeps getting afforded game time regardless of how shite he plays.

Doris cant even get on the park. Yet we are complaining he is unfit. Yes he looks a tad overweigh but his body shape is quite decieving as he looks the same before the injury as he does now. He may train hard enough, eat the right things, go to the gym etc. But DC does not rate him. He loves Spence and will give him every chance available.

This is the sort of reason why we need to invest in a youth/reserve team.

It would have been an ideal place for Doris to play and get fit and i doubt we would be questioning if he was fit if he was playing every week in the reserves.

Tend to agree with most of this . Of course Donnelly has improved given the game time he has had, but I still think there's something lacking there. Sometimes feels like we're playing with ten and a half men instead of eleven with Donnelly up front. I think Doris would also have improved had he been given as much game time as Donnelly. 

Spence hasn't shown anything so far to justify the 18 month contract he was signed on but is still ahead of Doris in the pecking order. I would rather see Spence move on rather than Doris.

On a different tack, seems to me that a team with Premier league aspirations don't have covers to prevent a frozen pitch from postponing a game is a bit of a joke.

Tend to agree with most of this . Of course Donnelly has improved given the game time he has had, but I still think there's something lacking there. Sometimes feels like we're playing with ten and a half men instead of eleven with Donnelly up front. I think Doris would also have improved had he been given as much game time as Donnelly. 
Spence hasn't shown anything so far to justify the 18 month contract he was signed on but is still ahead of Doris in the pecking order. I would rather see Spence move on rather than Doris.
On a different tack, seems to me that a team with Premier league aspirations don't have covers to prevent a frozen pitch from postponing a game is a bit of a joke.

But we do have covers :)

The Doris situation is simple.

Doris cant even get on the park. Yet we are complaining he is unfit. Yes he looks a tad overweigh but his body shape is quite decieving as he looks the same before the injury as he does now. He may train hard enough, eat the right things, go to the gym etc. But DC does not rate him. He loves Spence and will give him every chance available.

This is the sort of reason why we need to invest in a youth/reserve team.

Just seen this bit, you can't justify a youth or reserve team to keep players fit? That's mad. How does everyone else manage except Doris? The bit about him before and after the injury is just not true.

IMG_3049.jpg

Doris at his best. Superb at the end of League 2 going into League 1

IMG_3050.jpg

Doris returning from injury, still in good shape considering he'd missed so much time out

IMG_3051.jpg

Doris now, sure he'd look like he was in decent shape among the general population but he looks completely out of place on a football park

Look at all the extra stuff Bobby does, now that's probably the extreme but when we've got a team as fit as we do other guys must put in a lot of extra time and hours. After all they are paid semi pro's it is their job to

There's no excuse for it and if it was someone other than a club legend nobody would be saying otherwise. You can't justify a youth team or reserve team to keep one player fit

I agree with that, in an ideal world reserves would be good for players returning from injury/ not getting game time but isnt reality. His hearts maybe just not in it anymore or maybe pissed off not getting game time - who knows. We will probably never know. Just being optimistic for a turn around when his hammys sorted 

36 minutes ago, Plesslitchie said:

Apparently they did use them? God nos how they managed to muck it up so much - yesterday felt like a Sunday 🤬

Covers should be compulsory, at this level

1 hour ago, Plesslitchie said:

Apparently they did use them? God nos how they managed to muck it up so much - yesterday felt like a Sunday 🤬

Covers down since Wednesday , the game should have been on , everyone at club said park was playable, unfortunately a local referee had other ideas and played the H&S card saying temperatures were going to drop and when covers removed he felt pitch would start to freeze , game should never have been called off 

Actually agree with Mexico, i think Doris's condition is bordering on laughable. This is the championship he is attempting to play in not some diddy league. Whether he is playing or not he should be concentrating on his diet and fitness work away from training nights and this just doesn't seem to be happening as he is getting heavier and heavier, really poor from him.

He is and always will be one of my favourite ever players.

Would agree with the rest I would move out Spence and Wilson and send Campbell back, should free up room to get another striker and a wide player in.

On 30/11/2019 at 13:24, scillybirder said:

Isn't there a 'no midweek reschedule games in December/Jan' rule for postponed games or is that pure pish?

Nope. Not in the Championship. There used to be a "No midweek rescehdules between the last Saturday before Xmas and the first Saturday in February" rule but even that hasn't existed for a few years now. Unless there's a good reason otherwise, it's usually required to be the second midweek following the postponement.