The Arbroath Thread

Was whispers as early as last January that if we went up Wallace wouldn’t be staying.

Speaking of January...what are everyone’s thoughts on our squad, where we should be looking to add and lose players?

Doubt if we will see Bob Wilson back at the club, would leave us with a superb 100% clean sheet record in the championship but L2 is probably his level. Finding a CB who’ll be happy (or who’s parent club will be happy) for them to only play in case of injury or suspension won’t be easy though, so maybe Wilson could be convinced to stay until the end of the season. Think he is good mates with the other Edinburgh boys so possibly not out of the question.

Would keep Ben Stirling. Done okay at RB and CM, good back up to have. Josh Campbell has me neither up nor down to be honest, decent player to come on and put pressure on when we are winning but I wouldn’t back him to make much of a difference if he came on whilst we are going for a goal. Said before I’d send him back to Hibs, have McKenna play more often through the middle, and replace Campbell’s loan with a winger. Would still be keen for that.

Up front I’d be hoping to see some comings and goings. Greig Spence seems like a nice bloke (despite watching WWE) and tries hard but unfortunately is really bad at football. No league goals in his last 50 odd and probably on a decent wage, hopefully we can get rid. He’d maybe be best dropping to league 2 and scoring some goals to put himself in the shop window. As for Doris...Don’t think there’s anyone at the club the fans want to do well as much as him, but he’s out of shape, and like Spence never really looks like scoring. If I had to keep one of the two I’d probably lean towards Doris as he is better in the air/holding it up, but I’d probably want two replacements. Again, not easy in January but I’m sure DC + co will have a few players shortlisted and the board have been very good with their backing.

Just my thoughts, keen to hear what others think [emoji4]

Well young man I would agree with most of that.

I would return Josh Campbell to sender I think he's a good player but from a loan player I think we need more. He's nailed on to have a career in the lower leagues. Stirling I would keep he has potential and has been excellent centre mid and at RB imo. Miko is the man and glad we have him for the season.

In terms of who I'd like to see us try and secure, Bruce Anderson from Aberdeen might be a shout and Declan Glass from United, who will be returning to them in January from Cove.

2 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Good enough player i would have kept but a huffy little b*****d. Not sure if it was him that wanted to leave or management that didn’t want him.

Tbh, might have been better if we had kept Wallace, instead of Spence or Stevie Doris, and I can't believe I just wrote that

I think we all hoped doris would get fit over the summer, have a good pre season & get back to his old self but its just not happened. As for spence he is just no where near good enough for this level.

Not having a striker to come off the bench to threaten has really hampered us, especially against morton.

Time to say bye to them both & get someone else in

I also agree with majority of comments, I'd keep Stirling as back up replace Campbell with a pacey winger. I'd release Spence and get another striker in. I think it Stevie can get fit, game time under the belt and shed a few pounds we would be in a good position as he did have a good ore season scoring goals/ man of match etc and went pear shaped from a knock at ICT 

Agree with most comments

Out: spence Doris and Campbell

Spence just for what everyone has said already. Doris just isn’t fit enough he could always keep himself fit doesn’t need minutes to lose weight. Campbell decent player but I’d rather replace him with an out and out winger.

In : big strong pacey striker and a winger

McKenna used wide and centrally

Wallace left because he was totally pissed of playing second fiddle to spence and Donnelly that’s a fact.also how do you expect a guy to get fit when he doesn’t get game time. Also Doris had a great pre season scoring etc is dc doing a Wallace on Doris

Mate there's plenty of players not getting game time that manage to keep on top of their fitness. It's McCord all over again. Totally different player from the one he was when he was flying at the top of League 1, pre injury in fairness but he come back from that about a year ago now.

It's totally infuriating especially when it's someone the fans all love.

Wallace left because he was totally pissed of playing second fiddle to spence and Donnelly that’s a fact.also how do you expect a guy to get fit when he doesn’t get game time. Also Doris had a great pre season scoring etc is dc doing a Wallace on Doris

Let be honest, Wallace left because he was a mainly little w****r, and we have done well without him.

Doris’ condition is an absolute disgrace.

Agree, Don't know his circumstances but maybe a bit of commitment off the park would do Doris wonders.
ps hate a non football Saturday, they sheets from the race course were clearly a farce 🤬

Commitment aye? How’s your commitment to us? Are you there every week at games? Do you turn up at training twice a week after a day at work? Does Dick Campbell rate you as a player?

7 hours ago, Plesslitchie said:

ps hate a non football Saturday, they sheets from the race course were clearly a farce

The referee was the farce unfortunately, everyone connected with the club during the inspection were confident of game going ahead , ref spouted H&S concerns about a couple of small frozen parts on pitch that he thought would not defrost in time , club had different opinion of his , that’s junior refs for you 

The Doris situation is simple. Ever since Donnelly and Spence joined in January, Doris has been overlooked regardless of how poor they 2 have played.

Donnelly has improved this season.

Spence has been shite since his first game for us. Shite the next. And so on and so on. Yet he keeps getting afforded game time regardless of how shite he plays.

Doris cant even get on the park. Yet we are complaining he is unfit. Yes he looks a tad overweigh but his body shape is quite decieving as he looks the same before the injury as he does now. He may train hard enough, eat the right things, go to the gym etc. But DC does not rate him. He loves Spence and will give him every chance available.

This is the sort of reason why we need to invest in a youth/reserve team.

It would have been an ideal place for Doris to play and get fit and i doubt we would be questioning if he was fit if he was playing every week in the reserves.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Commitment aye? How’s your commitment to us? Are you there every week at games? Do you turn up at training twice a week after a day at work? Does Dick Campbell rate you as a player?

Mate... your the first to slag Doris at every given opportunity 😂 I still think a fit Doris could do a better job than Spence and Donnelly. But since you asked I'm there most weeks(missed two games this season due to holiday/ work) I walk the dog twice a week after work and I'm sure DC would rate that. 

5 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

The Doris situation is simple. Ever since Donnelly and Spence joined in January, Doris has been overlooked regardless of how poor they 2 have played.

Donnelly has improved this season.

Spence has been shite since his first game for us. Shite the next. And so on and so on. Yet he keeps getting afforded game time regardless of how shite he plays.

Doris cant even get on the park. Yet we are complaining he is unfit. Yes he looks a tad overweigh but his body shape is quite decieving as he looks the same before the injury as he does now. He may train hard enough, eat the right things, go to the gym etc. But DC does not rate him. He loves Spence and will give him every chance available.

This is the sort of reason why we need to invest in a youth/reserve team.

It would have been an ideal place for Doris to play and get fit and i doubt we would be questioning if he was fit if he was playing every week in the reserves.

Agree with the majority of that. In my opinion that situation may of hindered Doris rehab with confidence etc reflecting in a slight weight gain, he's never been "skinny" So I'm not overly concerned about that. Dc was trying to justify his spends with he brought LD and Spence in and can we blame him for that? LD has done well but it's dried up now and we need new blood comeJan