The Arbroath Thread

Gold was shit hot on Saturday and got a lot of the praise but once again Bobby Linn absolutely superb.

34 years old and looking fitter and faster as he's ever been in his time here.

Reckon he's got plenty left in the tank. A real pro now, his games come on some too since he joined, great with both feet.

A real top player for us.

Bobby, like a fine wine, getting better with age.

Have always thought having a settled side is a key ingredient to doing well, so hopefully now DC will stick with this starting XI apart from Thomson coming back in when fit. Chance for Stirling to have a run in team & have his game step up a notch.

921 on Saturday with about maybe 30 tops Alloa fans, pretty good getting 900 home fans through the gate for a standard league game. Looking at other games so far and the away supports at them I reckon that's probably been par for course.

In comparison there was 1290 at a QOTS home game against Alloa. Only a couple hundred extra for what is a FT club.

Already looking forward to the 2 home games to the Dundee teams. Reckon there'll be 3.5/4K for a home league game. Be magic if we could pull off a win in one of they games too.

Happy days

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

921 on Saturday with about maybe 30 tops Alloa fans, pretty good getting 900 home fans through the gate for a standard league game. Looking at other games so far and the away supports at them I reckon that's probably been par for course.

In comparison there was 1290 at a QOTS home game against Alloa. Only a couple hundred extra for what is a FT club.

Already looking forward to the 2 home games to the Dundee teams. Reckon there'll be 3.5/4K for a home league game. Be magic if we could pull off a win in one of they games too.

Happy days

Oh aye what a fantastic winter double header it will be 🇱🇻⚽️ Reckon they are both in for a shock at cold Gayfield lol, I work though in the Ferry with quite a mixed bag of Dundee & United fans and they are looking forward to it but really nervous at how cold it will be and how impressed they have been with the Lichties so far this season.

2 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

It was discussed on Off the Ball the other week when heading over for Morton game about extreme weather at football matches. It was mentioned on there that Gayfield is the coldest ground in Scotland.

I've been colder at both Shielfield & at Station Park.

There's always somewhere in Gayfield you can both get under cover & shelter from the wind. You can't say the same for Berwick and Forfar. In my experience, when it's windy, it blows straight down the pitch in both of them - there's nowhere to hide.

I've been colder at both Shielfield & at Station Park. There's always somewhere in Gayfield you can both get under cover & shelter from the wind. You can't say the same for Berwick and Forfar. In my experience, when it's windy, it blows straight down the pitch in both of them - there's nowhere to hide. 

If you think Gayfield is cold, you want to try Methil or Cowdenbeath in winter. Never been so cold as there. [emoji3511]  

Gayfield is chilly but people seem to over exaggerate just how cold it is. They do the same with the wind. People seem to think we play in a howling gale every week which simply isn’t true. The coldest Iv ever been at a game was in Elgin on a Tuesday night.

100 years ago to-day one of Scotland's and Arbroath goal-keepers died, yes Ned Doig. Described in yesterdays Scotsman as the the Prince of talents amongst the Team of all the Talents that won the English First Division and was one of 10 Scots in the Sunderland team in 1894-95.He later joined Liverpool at the age of 37 and was layed to rest in Anfield Cemetery..

This is a two paged article in the Scotsman and is too large to repeat here but there is no doubt that Ned was loved by the fans of all the teams he played for and this article is well worth a read and would make good reading if it is possible to reproduce in a match programme.

1 hour ago, Housecaptain said:

100 years ago to-day one of Scotland's and Arbroath goal-keepers died, yes Ned Doig. Described in yesterdays Scotsman as the the Prince of talents amongst the Team of all the Talents that won the English First Division and was one of 10 Scots in the Sunderland team in 1894-95.He later joined Liverpool at the age of 37 and was layed to rest in Anfield Cemetery..

This is a two paged article in the Scotsman and is too large to repeat here but there is no doubt that Ned was loved by the fans of all the teams he played for and this article is well worth a read and would make good reading if it is possible to reproduce in a match programme.

Fantastic idea 🇱🇻⚽👍🏻

Since 1980 we've only been in the second top tier twice, 2001/2002 (shown below) which was an amazing season for the club with a whole host of the best players I've seen play for us in the team and the season after that which I shall be completely ignoring.

Whatever happens this year will be at 'worst' our 2nd best season for 40 years, and it has potential to be the best. Glorious.

image.png.ff99d287a2360893d20ab5f25a4d5565.png