The Arbroath Thread

I'm wondering if any of you lads/lassies could help me with an article for the up and coming Scottish Cup tie at Auchinleck. I want to do a piece on Hugh Robertson who was an Auchinleck lad who played for the Lichties between 1971-73. He played 40 games but retired due to ill health. He took up the post as trainer at Gayfield before moving to manage in Denmark. He won a Scottish cap, The old Division 1 League with Dundee and a Scottish Cup medal with Dunfermline. We are particuarly proud of Hugh who died in 2010, but it would be nice to highlight his time at Arbroath.
Did he play for Ayr Utd as well?

On 25/10/2019 at 18:24, 36-0 Maroon said:

Added this absolute beauty to my collection last week 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻⚽❤️ Brings back loads of great memories as it was my first red lichtie game with my Dad and grandad back in the 1989/1990 season 🙌🙌🙌 we beat Albion Rovers 2-1 and I am sure Alan McKenna and Stuart Sorbie got the goals.

A3218BC9-19E4-406F-A1D0-C5C14C43503D.jpeg

36-0 Maroon.

Sent you a PM re this strip. Cheers!

Question is, how come a London / south of England based company sponsored Arbroath.? There’s a current racing syndicate called Surrey Racing, but there doesn’t seem to be any connection.

Iv a feeling it was an independent bookie in the town

Total change of a subject if we were to look to bring in a loan player and 99% fans have said from day 1 the area we should look to add is in the striking department what about trying to bring in an ex-player who was on loan to us in the past in Lee Erwin?

He is signed for Ross County but does not get a game, he is still young, big at 6 foot 2" plus he had a bit of pace and sure he scored 6 or 8 goals in in something like 11 games for us in 2013.

I am a massive Doris fan but i think he needs to be playing every week like McCord  did to keep match fit and the weight off, big Donnelly is doing well but is not a striker and Spence who i had high hopes for is off form and struggling to get a game, you can play McKenna up there but he is a number 10 for me.

Worth a shout imo.

C'Mon the Red Lichties 36-0.

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

He couldn't play for Ross County for several weeks due to some red tape from having played in Iran, then I am sure he picked up a serious injury on return.

I think he is just coming back to full fitness and scored for their development side midweek.  

4 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Total change of a subject if we were to look to bring in a loan player and 99% fans have said from day 1 the area we should look to add is in the striking department what about trying to bring in an ex-player who was on loan to us in the past in Lee Irwin?

He is signed for Ross County but does not get a game, he is still young, big at 6 foot 2" plus he had a bit of pace and sure he scored 6 or 8 goals in in something like 11 games for us in 2013.

I am a massive Doris fan but i think he needs to be playing every week like McCord  did to keep match fit and the weight off, big Donnelly is doing well but is not a striker and Spence who i had high hopes for is off form and struggling to get a game, you can play McKenna up there but he is a number 10 for me.

Worth a shout imo.

6 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Sure Surrey Racing was across the road from the Webster Theatre, i had both the maroon home and white away kits, and a bunch of us wore them at a Scotland game in Berne in 1991.

Aye, it was on the ground floor at 83 High Street. I stayed in the flat above it for a while.

21 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Total change of a subject if we were to look to bring in a loan player and 99% fans have said from day 1 the area we should look to add is in the striking department what about trying to bring in an ex-player who was on loan to us in the past in Lee Irwin?

Worth a shout imo.

Great shout 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻 Lee Erwin was fantastic for us, I mind his glorious double against Brechin in that season, what a player, go get him DC

19 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Sure Surrey Racing was across the road from the Webster Theatre, i had both the maroon home and white away kits, and a bunch of us wore them at a Scotland game in Berne in 1991.

With Sye Webster by any chance 🇱🇻⚽👍🏻

Worth a shout imo.

Think in January I’d send Campbell back to Hibs and have McKenna competing with Gold for the more advanced midfield position, and then look to bring another winger in on loan so McKenna doesn’t have to play there so much.

One striker is an absolute minimum, with the possibility of two if there are suitable options and we can offload one of Spence and Doris.

Think in January I’d send Campbell back to Hibs and have McKenna competing with Gold for the more advanced midfield position, and then look to bring another winger in on loan so McKenna doesn’t have to play there so much.

One striker is an absolute minimum, with the possibility of two if there are suitable options and we can offload one of Spence and Doris.

Agree with this

In regards to Donnelly since his early days at Celtic being sent on loan he was described as a forward by Celtic and he's played there everywhere he's been.

He's definitely a striker, there's no way he could play in the middle of the park or out wide, definitely has something about him. I'm personally 100 percent on his side now

Someone in the Bobby Linn mould, obviously won't be as good and doubt anyone expects that but just a pacey player who looks to take players on

I really hate to say this but looking at Stevie on Tuesday night, I think his time is up, he would score a barrowload in league 2 and get goals in league 1 also, he is simply not fit and sharp enough to play at this level, similar to McCord. Its a shame he got that horrific knee injury as he was on fire at the time. Spence seems a good character and has shown flashes of improvement this season but we cant ignore his record, he just doesn't score goals. I would offload both and spend the money saved on the two wages on a good striker/frontman whether that be loan or buy. Wouldn't worry about cover as Donnelly has shown a big improvement and Swankie or McKenna could up front also.

One thing i would not be surprised with might be putting Stevie D out on loan to get regular game time and bring in a striker on loan (Lee Erwin)?

I do not think Stevie D is finished at this level it is just his fitness, a match fit Stevie D could still do a job at Championship level.

The problem is when Stevie does not play for a while like McCord he piles on the weight it is not being lazy some folk this just happens too.

In regards Donnelly being compared to Templeman i could see what folk are meaning as both are tall and skinny (like Peter Crouch) have good control and not that fast but Donnelly is still young and has to get a bit stronger and better in the air, Templeman is one of them players i always wanted the Red Lichties to sign, he was a great player who had a good goal-scoring record against us just like Trouten another player i always wished we would sign and another with a great goal-scoring record against us which hopefully stops this Saturday.