The Arbroath Thread

Jamieson 

Thomson TOB Little Hamilton

Stewart Gold Murphy Whatley Linn

Mckenna

Thats the team I would play next week, Miko swanks and either one of Doris Spence or Donnelly waiting in the wings, in my opinion 4-5-1 is the way to go with a tight defence and a packed engergised midfield, every player in that starting lineup gives 110% and plenty of energy, it’s McKenna’s turn now as he doesn’t work as a winger and after all it was his goals with Wallace last year that won us the league.

Jamieson 
Thomson TOB Little Hamilton
Stewart Gold Murphy Whatley Linn
Mckenna

Thats the team I would play next week, Miko swanks and either one of Doris Spence or Donnelly waiting in the wings, in my opinion 4-5-1 is the way to go with a tight defence and a packed engergised midfield, every player in that starting lineup gives 110% and plenty of energy, it’s McKenna’s turn now as he doesn’t work as a winger and after all it was his goals with Wallace last year that won us the league.

Are there players you don’t think give “110%”?

7 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Are there players you don’t think give “110%”?

Hey mate I would hate to think anybody wouldn’t give 110% it’s maybe that some are not championship level or good enough to play in this team going forward that are definitely going places.

Is it not also about creating chances for the strikers. Are we getting enough numbers in and around the box. Whatever they are working on in training isn't quite paying off yet, come the all important match day.

If McKenna was next in line for a go up top (personally think this a bad idea) who would be the main player who'd likely be just behind. Strikers who aren't scoring have less confidence, constant tinkering could lead to less confidence in their ability, come that vital chance.

Would say that in this league we certainly need to be more clinical at taking what chances are being presented as they are few and far between compared to seasons gone by.

With our lack of goals and poor results of late, I feel this game against Morton has become a crucial game that we need to take something from and propel us forward in to the second quarter of the season.

We, as fans, need to stay positive, have faith that all will come good and believe we can finish eighth or higher at the finish.

I am a Clyde supporter & was up to see the game yesterday. I was interested to read all the comments re lack of goals from your strikers. I know you’re on a bad run after a great start to the season but based on yesterday’s game I don’t see what the strikers are meant to do when every ball up to them is a high aimless ball from the goalie or captain no. 5 . There was no build up play or chances created for them. This must be the manager’s preferred style of play but it must be hard being a striker when that’s the service they get. 

I am a Clyde supporter & was up to see the game yesterday. I was interested to read all the comments re lack of goals from your strikers. I know you’re on a bad run after a great start to the season but based on yesterday’s game I don’t see what the strikers are meant to do when every ball up to them is a high aimless ball from the goalie or captain no. 5 . There was no build up play or chances created for them. This must be the manager’s preferred style of play but it must be hard being a striker when that’s the service they get. 

Quite true but it’s definitely not our manager’s preferred style of play. We’re always a much better team when we get the ball down & play but we’re lacking in any sort of creativity just now and resorting to hoofball which never works for us and is thoroughly depressing.

Attacking wise from last season we have lost mccord, denholm and wallace without replacing them and swankie has been out with injury. As i mentioned in a previous post its no surprise we’re creating very few chances & when we do not taking them.

1 hour ago, Neilymckirdy said:

Although I wasn't at the game I can only imagine. I'm glad someone else is seeing it Yet it's always our strikers who seem to get the brunt 

Although I wasn't at the game I can only imagine. I'm glad someone else is seeing it Yet it's always our strikers who seem to get the brunt 

Literally blew teams away last season at the top of the league and our strikers (that are still at the club) hardly scored

Yes also people are not only complaining about strikers

Wingers, strikers and creative players in general

We literally only have Bobby Linn

People are also moaning because instead of addressing this we used our loans and signed 3 central midfielders, despite already being loaded in that position

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Literally blew teams away last season at the top of the league and our strikers (that are still at the club) hardly scored

And did I dispute that? We are a level up now, times have changed and time you accepted that. Our midfield can't get away with what they did last season.

Yes our strikers have a poor record at the moment but could that be due to Campbell not knowing his starting xl and constant chopping and changing no ones settling. Strikers need a run at it regardless who it is non of our three have really had that. 

And did I dispute that? We are a level up now, times have changed and time you accepted that. Our midfield can't get away with what they did last season.

Yes our strikers have a poor record at the moment but could that be due to Campbell not knowing his starting xl and constant chopping and changing no ones settling. Strikers need a run at it regardless who it is non of our three have really had that. 

Accepted what?????

Second paragraph I agree

Fwiw I would fancy us to barely score in League 1 either by the way with what we have available attacking wise

Accept that we are a level up now and we are NOT going to be blowing teams away, we are little fish in a big pond and will be scrapping 1-0 wins when possible And happy with it and that's the reality. 

Yes well I clearly have accepted that so no idea what we're on about

Doris, Spence and Donnelly have struggled scoring in League 1 too by the way

We are weaker than last season as a first 11 after losing Wallace, he didn't only score but created so many chances

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yes well I clearly have accepted that so no idea what we're on about

Doris, Spence and Donnelly have struggled scoring in League 1 too by the way

We are weaker than last season as a first 11 after losing Wallace, he didn't only score but created so many chances

I'm clearly stating looking at the past doesn't help the present. 

I didn't mention anything about our strikers having good records so don't know why your preaching that to me. 

I simply stated I agreed out midfield lacked creativity 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm clearly stating looking at the past doesn't help the present. 

I didn't mention anything about our strikers having good records so don't know why your preaching that to me. 

I simply stated I agreed out midfield lacked creativity 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well it's good to agree then. But it's not only the midfielders job to create chances I don't see any of the front 3 being up to doing it

Getting to the point where I would put McKenna upfront, atleast he would run about relentlessly for 90 minutes, put pressure on the defenders and take us up the park a bit more with Gold out on the right

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Well it's good to agree then. But it's not only the midfielders job to create chances I don't see any of the front 3 being up to doing it

Getting to the point where I would put McKenna upfront, atleast he would run about relentlessly for 90 minutes, put pressure on the defenders and take us up the park a bit more with Gold out on the right

As was stated above it's hard for strikers to create chances if the balls just getting lumped up. Old school tactics like in my day you play it from the back on the ground which to get to the strikers needs to go through the motions first. 

I'd give McKenna a punt, not much to lose, he's definitely not a winger or even play him in a role just behind a striker 

As was stated above it's hard for strikers to create chances if the balls just getting lumped up. Old school tactics like in my day you play it from the back on the ground which to get to the strikers needs to go through the motions first. 

I'd give McKenna a punt, not much to lose, he's definitely not a winger or even play him in a role just behind a striker 

Yes agree

Also just to reiterate I'm not moaning it sounds bad reading back. Was very happy right up until the Ayr game. Still am and do think we have a good squad of players..... it's just frustrating knowing we are still relying on Bobby so much when we were in the most attractive position we've been in in years for attracting players to the club.

We have taken him for granted way too much he's needing a hand and so do the rest of the guys

53 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’d be tempted to play Gold and Linn on the wings

Yeah with the team I suggested that would work with Stewart Murphy and Whatley in the middle, then you have the likes of Miko Stirling Campbell and swanks putting pressure on these middle guys, Wilson and Gaston are great back ups to have in defense with Donnelly Spence and Doris battling it out to replace McKenna or support him at least if we are chasing the game or looking for a winner, the only guy I haven’t mentioned is Kader as our only other attacking winger option which is worrying, I think the biggest weakness is this position so would like to see a couple of attacking wingers in January.