The Arbroath Thread

Your team captain is such an important thing to the players .whatley was good on the park great with fans the players had total respect for him. And what iam hearing the way he was told was a disgrace.players really not happy about it
What you hear?? Or is it just rumours

Also for 1320 to say it’s not a big deal really mate of course it is.the guy lifted 2 league titles trophies for us and to be treated in such a manner hang your your head mate and take Campbell with you

Take Campbell where?

It's a bit of material, grow up

He's not been lynched ffs

Going to be a long few months until January with our current options, I fear. Spence has been a total flop, and probably an expensive one at that. Donnelly I think is a class finisher but his all round game is pretty poor. Doris is our best bet up top for the time being IMO, time to give him a run of games up top. On the wings obviously we have Bobby, but he’s just going to get doubled up on every week and can’t do it all on his own. McKenna is not a winger in a million years imo, and Kader has been a good servant but out his depth at this level. Scott Stewart was warming up today so hopefully he can get up to speed and help us out.

As for the captaincy situation, will let Dick explain the reasons behind it if he has changed captains, and then shape opinion from there.

Hard to take any positives from the game today. I had hoped for a good attacking performance, but no such luck. The wind did spoil the game to an extent, the ref was awful and we just didn't look like the team from the higher division. Clyde looked compact in defence and were able to break quickly and put the defence under some pressure. They were worth their two goals although they got a lucky break for the first. We just never made any chances, just a few long range efforts that were either straight at the keeper or high and wide. 

We really need a big improvement for the upcoming league games. Not long ago I was thinking that we should be able to take some points off Morton next week, but now worried that we will struggle against them. Now thinking a 0-0 draw would feel like a win.

Whats the rules regarding emergency loans?? Or is there a list of players who are still without clubs worth taking a punt on short term deals

Championship teams don't get them

And no not really. Daniel Armstrong and Andy Stirling were recently free agents but both snapped up by Stranraer and Raith

Championship teams don't get them

And no not really. Daniel Armstrong and Andy Stirling were recently free agents but both snapped up by Stranraer and Raith
Found a list dont no how up to date it is, got likes of Greg Wylde and Arron taylor sinclair on it who are good at this level,

Also all the players we have on loan are 6 foot and quite well built, did we only enquire in players who were physically bigger and less likely to get bullied

Found a list dont no how up to date it is, got likes of Greg Wylde and Arron taylor sinclair on it who are good at this level,

Also all the players we have on loan are 6 foot and quite well built, did we only enquire in players who were physically bigger and less likely to get bullied

Dunno

The loan guys all look good, just the position they all play.

Everyone said we were strong and loaded in the centre of the park and needed attacking creative players before we had any loans...then again after the 1st 2 loan signings Campbell/Stirling..... then again after we signed Miko 🤦🏻‍♂️

ATS is a left back and Gregg Wylde is absolutely never not a chance signing for us

Dunno

The loan guys all look good, just the position they all play.

Everyone said we were strong and loaded in the centre of the park and needed attacking creative players before we had any loans...then again after the 1st 2 loan signings Campbell/Stirling..... then again after we signed Miko [emoji2359]

ATS is a left back and Gregg Wylde is absolutely never not a chance signing for us
Why not?? Better get a wage in and putting yourself in shop window on short term deal

I'd be very surprised if we signed anyone else - with only free agents being possible - between now and January. We've got 11 more games with the squad we've got and we need to utilise them as best as we can to pick up points until then.  I'm not 100% sure on the up to date rules regarding loans and last time I got it wrong so can't be fully sure of this but I believe a club is allowed 5 loans within a season, with a maximum of 4 at one time. We've signed Ben Stirling, Josh Campbell and Miko Virtanen on loan so far, so have 2 further loans available in January and one of our current 3 would have to leave to use both of them if I'm correct.... All 3 current loans are only until January I believe but can be extended of course if both clubs/ managers are happy.

In terms of the captaincy situation, this is absolutely bizarre and very worrying in my opinion. You need to have a very good reason to change your club & team captain 8 games into a season and would be very interested to hear what Dick has to say on this. Mark Whatley has been a tremendous servant to the club and a great captain on and off the pitch from all feedback I've had over the years. To dump him as captain at this point and to appoint ToB is very odd. You've got to wonder how Ricky Little feels about this considering he's been vice captain for the last few years and has been completely overlooked here. It's a fair assumption both Whatley and Ricky Little will be rather pissed off, and considering they've been absolute mainstays in our team for a number of years and will be good mates/ well thought of by pretty much everyone in the dressing room it doesn't look good from the outside.....

Weve tried several permatations up front,hows about Michael Mckenna,through middle like old fashioned no 9,because most games ive watched him ,he is a yard faster than anyone he comes up against,and Linn and Spence, as pacey wingers .Spence and Doris have no link up play that ive seen,both playing like individuals imop.Mixing up Doris and Donnely around  like inside forwards.?

21 minutes ago, Douglas Peel said:

Weve tried several permatations up front,hows about Michael Mckenna,through middle like old fashioned no 9,because most games ive watched him ,he is a yard faster than anyone he comes up against,and Linn and Spence, as pacey wingers .Spence and Doris have no link up play that ive seen,both playing like individuals imop.Mixing up Doris and Donnely around  like inside forwards.?

Would agree that Doris Spence as a 2 doesn't work. 

In general Spence hasn't worked out for us since he signed as a striker. 

Never thought I would say this but we are missing Swankie in a big way. 

Would also suggest now is thr time to have a look at any striker or attacking players who are currently without a club to help us till Jan.

At the start of the season I thought if we could gain 10 points per quarter this would be enough to keep us out of the relegation zone and we are on track for reaching this - if we beat Morton next week we will have picked up 11 points for the first quarter ( which would be very impressive ).

The prize money for reaching the quarter finals of the biscuit cup was over 8K, so some income has been made .

The problem is we should be winning at home to a team sitting mid table in the league below - a great chance to earn more income and reach a cup final has been lost.

The management have done a great job getting us promoted and having such an outstanding start to the new season - in the last few games the wheels have come off, but these were games against the top 3 teams in the league.

A win next week will get us back on track.

On the whole Arbroath are sitting in a great position with a distinguished manager and a solid squad of players .

The management will know the areas in the squad that need to be improved and will be working on this.

A win next week against Morton and we could be sitting mid table and 5th in the league - which would be very impressive.

Spence as a pacey winger??? Just no,
Doris and Mckenna uptop and Gold and Linn on wings,