The Arbroath Thread

We need to remember where we are now and where we could have been if not for the Shire a few seasons back. The Championship was always going to be a hard shift for part timers and so it's proving. We should enjoy this season but expect to suffer a lot of reverses. With our support we might, just might manage to survive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I don't think anyone is complaining about our start to this season, we've started very well and our game plan has worked to pick up points so far. However, if you only have one game plan and one goalscoring option you're putting all your eggs in one basket, and over the course of a full season that'll run into problems regardless of what level you're playing at. In terms of scoring goals, a wee look at our 3 strikers below:

Greig Spence - since his last league goal he has played 44 games. His last goal was on the 13th of January 2018. 25 of those 44 games have been at League 1 level. Those games have been in a Raith team who were up the top end of the division, an Alloa team struggling in the Championship, and an Arbroath team miles ahead at the top of League 1 and scoring for fun in the months up to his arrival. This season he has shown more than he did last season in terms of overall play and contribution, but..... no goals in 44 league games.

Steven Doris - since his last league goal he has played 22 games. His last goal was on the 10th of November 2018. 16 of those 22 games have been at League 1 level; in a team miles ahead at the top of the division and creating plenty of chances. He was obviously coming back from a bad injury last season and a large part of his game is holding the ball up and bringing others into play.... but he has not scoring a league goal in 22 games. Despite the lack of goals I think Stevie D is our best option and should be given a run upfront in the next 3/4 games to see how he goes. He hasn't had a proper run in the team since Donnelly/ Spence signed.

Luke Donnelly - he has scored recently! Twice! Since he signed for us, he has 3 goals in 18 league games, 13 of which were at League 1 level and in the same team Stevie D and Greig Spence were playing in, miles ahead at the top of the league and creating chances. He has certainly improved this season and he's our only 'striker' who has scored this calendar year (we are in the 10th month of the year now...). He isn't really a striker and hasn't played upfront consistently for any other team he's played for. While he has contributed 3 goals, his overall play isn't as good as Spence or Doris.

I'm not slating any of these players, and I've tried to keep opinion out of the above and stick solely to the facts.

My opinion is that having 3 striking options in the Championship, who putting the above records together have 3 goals (all Luke Donnelly) in their last 84 league games, 54 of which were at the level below this and in teams that were up the top end of the division and in no way struggling, and expecting them to have any sort of goal return whatsoever at Championship level is crazy. It's a complete disservice to our team last year to say that they didn't create chances for the strikers, and we played 2 up top last year pretty much every week. Neither of these things helped/ made a difference to the 3 strikers mentioned and their ability to put the ball in the back of the net for us.

Since the start of February, we have averaged a goal a game at the top end of League 1, and 5 goals in 8 games at Championship level. With the options detailed above, we're at the point where I feel anyone confident of us starting to get goals from our striking position is probably the sort of person who struggles with daily life due to the constant fear of spontaneously combusting, as at this stage the odds of either of those things happening must be at about the same level.

As I've said previously, if we can keep picking up points here and there and keep off the bottom spot until January I'd be absolutely delighted, and I firmly believe despite our massive deficiency upfront we can keep picking up points. However, as soon as we get to January we absolutely must sort out our striking options and get a Championship level player, or someone close to Championship level, to give us a good chance of staying in the division.

People can argue with opinion, and I'm sure they will and that's what forums like this are for, but you cannot argue with the facts and the facts are detailed above for all to see.

9 minutes ago, gone fishing said:

Simon our of curiosity how many of these 22 games has Doris started 🤷‍♂️

11 out of the 22 have been starts, with 8 of those in League 1 and 3 in the Championship. It's a very poor record, there's no denying it.

However, Spence/ Donnelly have been given runs in the team starting 3/4+ games in a row where as Stevie D hasn't.

I know where this is going of course - 'give Stevie D a run and he'd have scored goals'. Fair argument, and one it's impossible to prove/ disprove. What we can do is look at the facts, which is what I've done, and the facts don't look very good for us right now in terms of any of our strikers giving any sort of goalscoring return. As I said before, I'd give Stevie D a run as I  think while none of them are going to give us the goals we need, he has more to his all round game in my opinion and hasn't been given the chances Spence/ Donnelly have.

Regardless of how weak we are upfront, this is what we have until January. We need to work out our best option/ options and go with it in my opinion, and at the moment I'd say our best option is giving Doris a run up there and seeing what happens.

9 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I don't think anyone is complaining about our start to this season, we've started very well and our game plan has worked to pick up points so far. However, if you only have one game plan and one goalscoring option you're putting all your eggs in one basket, and over the course of a full season that'll run into problems regardless of what level you're playing at. In terms of scoring goals, a wee look at our 3 strikers below:

Greig Spence - since his last league goal he has played 44 games. His last goal was on the 13th of January 2018. 25 of those 44 games have been at League 1 level. Those games have been in a Raith team who were up the top end of the division, an Alloa team struggling in the Championship, and an Arbroath team miles ahead at the top of League 1 and scoring for fun in the months up to his arrival. This season he has shown more than he did last season in terms of overall play and contribution, but..... no goals in 44 league games.

Steven Doris - since his last league goal he has played 22 games. His last goal was on the 10th of November 2018. 16 of those 22 games have been at League 1 level; in a team miles ahead at the top of the division and creating plenty of chances. He was obviously coming back from a bad injury last season and a large part of his game is holding the ball up and bringing others into play.... but he has not scoring a league goal in 22 games. Despite the lack of goals I think Stevie D is our best option and should be given a run upfront in the next 3/4 games to see how he goes. He hasn't had a proper run in the team since Donnelly/ Spence signed.

Luke Donnelly - he has scored recently! Twice! Since he signed for us, he has 3 goals in 18 league games, 13 of which were at League 1 level and in the same team Stevie D and Greig Spence were playing in, miles ahead at the top of the league and creating chances. He has certainly improved this season and he's our only 'striker' who has scored this calendar year (we are in the 10th month of the year now...). He isn't really a striker and hasn't played upfront consistently for any other team he's played for. While he has contributed 3 goals, his overall play isn't as good as Spence or Doris.

I'm not slating any of these players, and I've tried to keep opinion out of the above and stick solely to the facts.

My opinion is that having 3 striking options in the Championship, who putting the above records together have 3 goals (all Luke Donnelly) in their last 84 league games, 54 of which were at the level below this and in teams that were up the top end of the division and in no way struggling, and expecting them to have any sort of goal return whatsoever at Championship level is crazy. It's a complete disservice to our team last year to say that they didn't create chances for the strikers, and we played 2 up top last year pretty much every week. Neither of these things helped/ made a difference to the 3 strikers mentioned and their ability to put the ball in the back of the net for us.

Since the start of February, we have averaged a goal a game at the top end of League 1, and 5 goals in 8 games at Championship level. With the options detailed above, we're at the point where I feel anyone confident of us starting to get goals from our striking position is probably the sort of person who struggles with daily life due to the constant fear of spontaneously combusting, as at this stage the odds of either of those things happening must be at about the same level.

As I've said previously, if we can keep picking up points here and there and keep off the bottom spot until January I'd be absolutely delighted, and I firmly believe despite our massive deficiency upfront we can keep picking up points. However, as soon as we get to January we absolutely must sort out our striking options and get a Championship level player, or someone close to Championship level, to give us a good chance of staying in the division.

People can argue with opinion, and I'm sure they will and that's what forums like this are for, but you cannot argue with the facts and the facts are detailed above for all to see.

Wow thank god for Bobby Linn then, It’s scary to think where we would be without him and our fantastic defence.

37 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

The most pathetic performance I’ve seen from us in a long while. Midfield was non existent and lacked any fight.

Wasn’t at the game as down in Glasgow with the family but it sounds like I didn’t miss much, I know Dick isn’t a fan of this cup and see’s it as a hindrance and unfortunately  it seems that’s transpired into the players today, Very disappointing and embarrassing as this was an excellent opportunity for the fringe players to step up and it looks like they have blown it, I seen Arbroath going all the way in this aswell so very disappointing.

Wondered why Whatley wasnt captain, More surprised ToB was captain, Normally Little is next in line to captain, Cant be good behind the scenes when your long serving captain is stripped, ToB had one of his worse games and his first as captain, Turned so many times by Goodwillie and hia passing was awful,

Doris was only one that scrapped pass marks, hard to work off of long balls all day, C

Clyde were a decent well orgainised team but they didnt even have to be good today, What has been mentioned for weeks we have no threat or creativity, its slow side and back word passing then long balls, McKenna isnt a winger and offers more upfront, again i dont beleive there wasnt potential loans and signings in the wing and forward positions,

We started the season on a high off the back of last season but our bubble has now burst, up to the players & manager to turn things around.

Our squad has the same issues we knew of at the start of the season, no quality up front, a lack of wingers and lack of creativity so its no real surprise we cant create chances and the few that we do we cant finish them