The Arbroath Thread

Would another loan forward/striker make much difference given the way we play? They would have to be able to chase down all the long punts upfield, retain possession, create  their own chances and score regularly.  If they could do that I don't think they would be put out on loan. 
It's a big step up from League 1 and we have players capable of playing at this level, but other sides get more players upfield quickly to support their strikers on the break than we do. They also manage to get them back to defend quickly. It is difficult for part time players in this league playing against full time teams who can work all week on their technical ability, fitness and tactics without having to deal with any work related issues away from football. 
Hopefully, as the season goes on, we will become harder to beat and get a few more breaks in games. So whilst I don't expect us to win that many games this season, I think that getting enough points to avoid automatic relegation could be considered a success. Avoiding the play offs would be an even bigger success..

The players you have can change the way you play so not getting your point?

The only player we have with pace who can break up the park and make something happen is Bobby Linn. He's the only guy who can get us up the park which is pretty important when you're under pressure a lot of the time.

Upfront the guys we have upfront don't even have a good scoring record at a level below the past few years. If anything their scoring records are incredibly poor for strikers. So even if we get a chance you don't fancy us to take it. They're all decent but none of them have any real pace or any real creativity at all. Wallace in comparison..... it's annoying and it's disappointing he left, I can't believe he got so much stick

If you take Bobby out and look at the rest of the team, who scores? Who has a record of scoring (baring in mind we've been a team that's been winning leagues)? Who would you fancy to pull a moment of magic out the bag every now and then?

I think our squad of players is really good but we lack so badly in guys that can do any of the above, even anything similar to Bobby. Would've rather taken a punt on loans out wide and upfront instead of overloading in a position we were already very strong in

We are relying on being hard to beat and sneaking goals which is fine, but we could've done that without the loans we got in!! So no plan B or anything to change it at all

On the other hand we got off to a good start and have played 3 of the best teams in recent weeks so hope we can get back to getting results soon

Morton at home a great chance

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The players you have can change the way you play so not getting your point?

The only player we have with pace who can break up the park and make something happen is Bobby Linn. He's the only guy who can get us up the park which is pretty important when you're under pressure a lot of the time.

Upfront the guys we have upfront don't even have a good scoring record at a level below the past few years. If anything their scoring records are incredibly poor for strikers. So even if we get a chance you don't fancy us to take it. They're all decent but none of them have any real pace or any real creativity at all. Wallace in comparison..... it's annoying and it's disappointing he left, I can't believe he got so much stick

If you take Bobby out and look at the rest of the team, who scores? Who has a record of scoring (baring in mind we've been a team that's been winning leagues)? Who would you fancy to pull a moment of magic out the bag every now and then?

I think our squad of players is really good but we lack so badly in guys that can do any of the above, even anything similar to Bobby. Would've rather taken a punt on loans out wide and upfront instead of overloading in a position we were already very strong in

We are relying on being hard to beat and sneaking goals which is fine, but we could've done that without the loans we got in!! So no plan B or anything to change it at all

On the other hand we got off to a good start and have played 3 of the best teams in recent weeks so hope we can get back to getting results soon

Morton at home a great chance

My point is that this season we are playing with one up front, regardless of what the manager may say about playing two up front, and the only out ball we have is to give it to Bobby Linn. No striker can score goals if the team don't create any goalscoring chances. So if you bring in a striker on loan you will have to get your midfield to be a bit more creative. And if they start to be more creative maybe the forwards we have will be able to take any chances and start scoring. Bobby Linn cannot do it all, all the time. 

2 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Anybody else watching the Russia v Scotland game last night feel like they were watching Arbroath?

A wee bit harsh there SBL. you cannae be suggesting we're as bad as Scotland😁

Anybody else watching the Russia v Scotland game last night feel like they were watching Arbroath?

We’re watching an arbroath side at their highest league position in almost 20 years, scotland are as bad as I’ve seen them in 20 years so no not really

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

What an utterly bizarre comment

Totally agree, there is absolutely no comparison at all. Last three games have been tough but I’m absolutely loving this season so far. Scotland are horrific every single game at the minute 

5 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

My point is that this season we are playing with one up front, regardless of what the manager may say about playing two up front, and the only out ball we have is to give it to Bobby Linn. No striker can score goals if the team don't create any goalscoring chances. So if you bring in a striker on loan you will have to get your midfield to be a bit more creative. And if they start to be more creative maybe the forwards we have will be able to take any chances and start scoring. Bobby Linn cannot do it all, all the time. 

100% agree and also bobby hasn't been on his game the last few weeks when we rely on him so heavily, Harry Kane would find it hard scoring goals for us at the minute with the lack of creativity created in midfield 

Steven Doris 83 league goals

Steven Doris 7 Scottish cup goals

Steven Doris league cup 3 goals

93 goals is not a bad scoring return

Recent history...

13 goals in last 67 league games (3 seasons before this one), 2 of they seasons we won a league title and one of they seasons we finished in the play off, a team at the top of the league in all of that in lower leagues

I feel like you are only backing up what I am saying

Yes I agree we should've signed more players who could score goals play further forward and make things happen instead of central/holding midfielders on loan??? When we have plenty of central midfielders who can play there anyway

Quote 1320 you said that our strikers scoring records are incredibly poor for strikers as I said 93 goals not to bad

I said in the past few years

I like Doris and Spence and Donnelly has grown on me and done well but none of them have good scoring records recently in lower leagues than this one.

Which is worrying as Linn is the only real source of goals in our team, I am sure he's either assisted or scored ALL of our league goals so far and we are 8 games in! My point is this is what in my opinion really should've been addressed in the loans we got. We didn't need 3 central midfield players

Doesn't matter what Spence, Donnelly or Doris records are from ages ago