The Arbroath Thread

The sad b*****d in me (which is really just me in my entirety) is very intrigued to hear a top 5 best signings in the last decade list from various posters....... Be quite interested to see peoples differing opinions/ reasoning...

Can’t beat a top 5 list.
1. Bobby Linn
2. Tom O’Brien
3. Simon Murray
4. Josh Falkingham
5. Ricky Little

Who could leave out the ginger ninja?

3 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Can’t beat a top 5 list.
1. Bobby Linn
2. Tom O’Brien
3. Simon Murray
4. Josh Falkingham
5. Ricky Little

Who could leave out the ginger ninja?

Surprised to see there's not more love for Jason Thomson, the Ginger Cafu. A massive addition to the team last year, in what had been a bit of a problem position for a while. Allowed Ricky to play regularly in the middle, without having someone like Gold trying to cover at right back.

Great bit of signing work from Dick to get him in. Listened to that podcast JT did with Danny Denholm, and apparently JT was speaking to Ross Campbell about signing for Montrose after he'd decided to go part-time, when Dick came in and gazumped him at the last minute! 

Simon asked posters on here for their top 5 players in the last decade what would of been an interesting topic but yet again let’s talk about our worst signings start your on thread if you want but if you can’t think of any top 5 players f**k of [emoji106]
How about you go wind your neck in?

Bobby Linn, Ricky Little (these 2 especially) Steven Doris, Gavin Swankie, Whatley and Gold all deserve shouts for what they've done here and the time they've been at the club

Guys like ToB/Falky for how good they are/were

Guys like McKenna/Thomson/DJ for the impact they had on us winning league 1

I am not wound up this thread that Simon started was a good thread for discussion opinions etc but as usual you get the dafties on here just you get away to your bed you have school in the morning let the adults discuss this topic

Dunno about school but you definitely have a hangover this morning

On 08/09/2019 at 12:05, SimonLichtie said:

The sad b*****d in me (which is really just me in my entirety) is very intrigued to hear a top 5 best signings in the last decade list from various posters....... Be quite interested to see peoples differing opinions/ reasoning...

1. Bobby Linn 

2. Josh Falkingham

3. Ricky Little

4. Mark Whatley

5. Michael McKenna

6. David Gold

7. Tom O’Brien 

8. Steven Doris 

9. Gavin Swankie

10. Jason Thomson

I had to do a top 10 lol and it’s all pretty much down to the attributes that you mentioned and what us fans love to see from a player, every player on that list has giving it all to the badge and have helped us achieve the great success over a decade that’s resulted in 3 championships which is an incredible achievement.

1. Bobby Linn 
2. Josh Falkingham
3. Ricky Little
4. Mark Whatley
5. Michael McKenna
6. David Gold
7. Tom O’Brien 
8. Steven Doris 
9. Gavin Swankie
10. Jason Thomson
I had to do a top 10 lol and it’s all pretty much down to the attributes that you mentioned and what us fans love to see from a player, every player on that list has giving it all to the badge and have helped us achieve the great success over a decade that’s resulted in 3 championships which is an incredible achievement.

Hamilton instead of Thomson and ToB in before Whatley and mine would be similar

In last 10 year these guys all chalked up some amount of appearances for us and although there's been a turnover always had a core here

DC bringing back Swankie/Doris and Hamilton very clever in hindsight

Surprised to see there's not more love for Jason Thomson, the Ginger Cafu. A massive addition to the team last year, in what had been a bit of a problem position for a while. Allowed Ricky to play regularly in the middle, without having someone like Gold trying to cover at right back.

Fully agree - his signing was the missing piece of the jigsaw. We had a strong defence but filling the right back position with such a skilful and solid player meant a) we now had a full defensive unit, not relying on playing some out of position, b) the defensive platform was critical in our title season and will be even more central in trying to compete in the Championship; and c) Thomson, like Hammy, is so good in building the attack and also getting up there to provide extra threat.

On the other list, and another fullback I thought Brian Hodge was also an astute signing; plus we cannot leave Pongo out. A class player without whose goals we wouldn’t have won the League Two title.