The Arbroath Thread

Our formation looks as if it’s going to be 4-5-1 this season which puts lots of pressure on the lone striker unless he gets back up from the midfield. A good example of that was yesterday when Doris held the ball up McKenna bursting a gut to get there Doris slips him in and we should of had a penalty resulting from the challenge.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Just to add a bit of realism to stuff here - McKenna is loved by the vast vast majority because he has a superb workrate, great attitude, a real team player and he is a thoroughly nice guy into the mix also. He's also a realist - at one point last season or the season before (I can't remember which) he asked to drop out for a few games because he knew himself he was struggling for form a bit and while his technical ability is not at Championship level he makes up for this with the other positive attributes he brings to the team. However, when discussing a football player and everyone goes on about attitude, workrate, drive, determination but no mention of skill, technical ability, positioning, passing, finishing etc. it speaks volumes for me. If Mikey hadn't taken time out of football between the age of 16-19 or so I think he'd potentially be a top level player, as it's obvious he missed out on so much during this time and it's very noticeable in how he plays the game. I think he'd be a top 3 favourite player for the vast majority of our fans, including myself, it's impossible not to like a guy like Mikey McKenna who despite his obvious limitations puts so much in every time he steps onto the pitch in an Arbroath shirt.

In terms of being one of our best signings of the past decade - I wouldn't even say he was one of the best half a dozen signings in our current team to be honest :lol: He's a fans favourite and people are very blind to his faults in my opinion - that's not a slur on Mikey, every single player in our squad has faults, it's just some of them are hounded for their faults every week while Mikey's are ignored/ forgotten a lot of the time just because of how likable he is. He is also handsome as f**k and I'm fairly certain the smell of his hair still keeps one of our younger fans up at night. 😍

I agree with most of what Simon says, particularly regarding McKenna's faults being overlooked because of his work rate, excellent attitude and commitment to the club. I'm sure he would play in any position asked, maybe even in goal. No, not really in goal but anywhere else on the pitch. But his finishing is poor, I feel if he could improve that side of his game he could chip in with a few more goals from midfield. Maybe just needs to be more confident when a goal scoring opportunity falls to him. Having said that I am a fan of his and would have him in the team every week without question.

Bobby Linn of course, Josh Falkingham, Ricky Little would fall into my top signings of the past few years, Mike McKenna as well for reasons already mentioned. James Murphy could prove to be another although I would not expect him to be at the club for longer than a season or two, he will probably move to a full time club either here or in England sooner or later.

I agree with most of what Simon says, particularly regarding McKenna's faults being overlooked because of his work rate, excellent attitude and commitment to the club. I'm sure he would play in any position asked, maybe even in goal. No, not really in goal but anywhere else on the pitch. But his finishing is poor, I feel if he could improve that side of his game he could chip in with a few more goals from midfield. Maybe just needs to be more confident when a goal scoring opportunity falls to him. Having said that I am a fan of his and would have him in the team every week without question.
Bobby Linn of course, Josh Falkingham, Ricky Little would fall into my top signings of the past few years, Mike McKenna as well for reasons already mentioned. James Murphy could prove to be another although I would not expect him to be at the club for longer than a season or two, he will probably move to a full time club either here or in England sooner or later.

... and Tom O’Brien. A top signing. For me also DeeJay.

The sad b*****d in me (which is really just me in my entirety) is very intrigued to hear a top 5 best signings in the last decade list from various posters....... Be quite interested to see peoples differing opinions/ reasoning...
1. Bobby Linn - Top Quality
2. Ricky Little - Excellent centre half and insparation on the pitch.
3. TOB - rock solid at the back and a good player.
4. Mark Whatley - Consistent performer and captain. Helps the team tick.
5. Steven Doris - 3 league titles.

There are many contenders and I might change my mind the more I think of it.

1. Joe Prince Wright - Zidane/Messi blended together to make the best midfielder ever

2. Lari Yao. - strongest player ever

3. Lewis Coult - Easily the best striker we have ever had. What a guy

4. Patrick Deane - how can we forget him. So much skill.

5. Todd Lumsden - The man. The Legend. He came so close to realising our ultimate dream of getting us to the top of Scottish football. A statue to this man should be built outside the ground.

I like what I've started here.... :D

Simon Murray would definitely be in a top 5 if it was about where they came from in terms of being 'found' and what they've achieved after us but in terms of what he did at the club/ his influence/ time spent here he almost definitely wouldn't even get near a top 10. Also, in terms of just being an all round legend and cult hero figure Pongo would get close but on pretty much every other level wouldn't get near it.

I think, very roughly, I'd go with....

1 - Bobby Linn

2 - ToB

3 - Josh Falkingham

4 - Steven Doris

5 - Ricky Little

With Doris being in there and technically being signing more than 10 years ago, could argue Swankie would also get close... and also Hammy and Mark Whatley have been here and played pretty much every week in two title winning seasons, Whatley being captain and also being signed from the juniors similar to Si Murray.

If Paul Sheerin was counted just as a player as opposed to also managing us I would have scraped the whole 5 and just posted about how fucking good he was, and how he's easily the best technical player I've ever seen play for us. Outrageously talented for the 3rd/ 4th tier of Scottish football.