The Arbroath Thread

Who's biased? I just want my team to continue doing well and believe that's the route going forward. 
Maybe he wasn't feeling 100% after that knock a few weeks ago but assumed he was as nothing had been mentioned. 

Just that there's a lot of Litchies about here that seem to dislike anybody but Stevie playing upfront mate [emoji4]

Donnelly came on and got the winner, he would be my 3rd choice aswel, but that's why I stand on the terrace every week and Dick gets paid to be a football manager, we also have no knowledge of how they train, have they picked up knocks/strains, how their attitude is around the club.

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Donnelly came on and got the winner, he would be my 3rd choice aswel, but that's why I stand on the terrace every week and Dick gets paid to be a football manager, we also have no knowledge of how they train, have they picked up knocks/strains, how their attitude is around the club.

Well said, I am delighted with the squad, keeper defense and midfield look excellent and despite the doubts from what I’ve seen in pre season, the cup and 4 league games I honestly believe Doris Donnelly & Spence can do the business in this division. If however they get injured or have a major slump in confidence or form we always have Bobby MM and Gav when he returns to play up top, January is never too far away and we will have a great idea then where we are at to achieving our status and can strengthen and add to the squad then  if required. It’s a really tight league as you can see with the results so far, each game could go either way, I am delighted though we are getting those crucial points and wins on board early doors as I know how massive that can be.

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

Really doubt anyone has any attitude problems to be fair and knocks/strains are always reported on. Swanks/Stewart

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just that there's a lot of Litchies about here that seem to dislike anybody but Stevie playing upfront mate emoji4.png

Forgot we weren't allowed opinions 🙄 also clearly stated I'd start Spence just not Donnelly based on what I've seen but that's biased in regards to Stevie right enough 🤭

Forgot we weren't allowed opinions [emoji849] also clearly stated I'd start Spence just not Donnelly based on what I've seen but that's biased in regards to Stevie right enough 🤭

Apologies then

'I'd be putting my energy into Stevie and giving Spence a shot before Donnelly'

Not overly clear to be fair

Still possibilities of free agents signing but I feel we have a decent squad. Really need to keep the back four fit as clean sheets will be crucial.

That’s our squad until January then. The defence is strong as ever, with a bit more cover. Midfield looks promising. Up front we need Doris and Spence to Nick a couple of league goals each to build confidence. And pray Bobby stays fit. [emoji120]

Still possibilities of free agents signing but I feel we have a decent squad. Really need to keep the back four fit as clean sheets will be crucial.

Dick in the herald today saying we have a “full squad”, so imagine that’ll be us until January barring anything special.

12 minutes ago, Mexico said:

Not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that Doris should’ve come on before Donnelly given that he came on and scored the winner. 

Im not really a Donnelly fan but this logic is really daft. 

DC clearly got the change right. 

But would suggest most fans will always want Doris to come on before Donnelly when both are on the bench.

3 hours ago, philpy said:

How's mckenna doing?? I'm a raith fan, but keep an eye on the arbroath results. Mikey is a relative of the wife's cousin

Superb player, brilliant attitude and always gives 110% and plays for the badge, I would go as far and say he has been one of our best ever signings this past decade anyway for sure. Quality find from DC.

Just to add a bit of realism to stuff here - McKenna is loved by the vast vast majority because he has a superb workrate, great attitude, a real team player and he is a thoroughly nice guy into the mix also. He's also a realist - at one point last season or the season before (I can't remember which) he asked to drop out for a few games because he knew himself he was struggling for form a bit and while his technical ability is not at Championship level he makes up for this with the other positive attributes he brings to the team. However, when discussing a football player and everyone goes on about attitude, workrate, drive, determination but no mention of skill, technical ability, positioning, passing, finishing etc. it speaks volumes for me. If Mikey hadn't taken time out of football between the age of 16-19 or so I think he'd potentially be a top level player, as it's obvious he missed out on so much during this time and it's very noticeable in how he plays the game. I think he'd be a top 3 favourite player for the vast majority of our fans, including myself, it's impossible not to like a guy like Mikey McKenna who despite his obvious limitations puts so much in every time he steps onto the pitch in an Arbroath shirt.

In terms of being one of our best signings of the past decade - I wouldn't even say he was one of the best half a dozen signings in our current team to be honest :lol: He's a fans favourite and people are very blind to his faults in my opinion - that's not a slur on Mikey, every single player in our squad has faults, it's just some of them are hounded for their faults every week while Mikey's are ignored/ forgotten a lot of the time just because of how likable he is. He is also handsome as f**k and I'm fairly certain the smell of his hair still keeps one of our younger fans up at night. 😍

Have to say, Dick's management so far this season in terms of his starting 11s, his subs and his all round game management have been absolutely outstanding. It's an area I felt he struggled in when we were looking to dominate and win games in previous years, but now we're in a completely different tactical situation he seems to be nailing it every single week. One of my worries this season was that we'd leave ourselves open too much and commit too much forward and with the huge lack of goals in our team that'd just result in us getting done 2/3/4-0 most weeks. However, the defence/ midfield have looked superb in terms of structure/ organisation/ discipline so far this season and despite not having a striker who can regularly score goals we've kept picking up points by playing to our strengths. If we can keep picking up points over the next few months before teams fully work us out and we have to change our system then we'll give ourselves a brilliant chance to stay up.

I still think we'll end up losing a lot of quite tight games 1-0 due to our real struggle to get the ball in the back of the net, and I still struggle to see where goals are coming from outside of Bobby Linn but this is the squad we have and if we keep playing to our strengths every week and stay as disciplined as we have been we'll give ourselves a great chance.

Just to add a bit of realism to stuff here - McKenna is loved by the vast vast majority because he has a superb workrate, great attitude, a real team player and he is a thoroughly nice guy into the mix also. He's also a realist - at one point last season or the season before (I can't remember which) he asked to drop out for a few games because he knew himself he was struggling for form a bit and while his technical ability is not at Championship level he makes up for this with the other positive attributes he brings to the team. However, when discussing a football player and everyone goes on about attitude, workrate, drive, determination but no mention of skill, technical ability, positioning, passing, finishing etc. it speaks volumes for me. If Mikey hadn't taken time out of football between the age of 16-19 or so I think he'd potentially be a top level player, as it's obvious he missed out on so much during this time and it's very noticeable in how he plays the game. I think he'd be a top 3 favourite player for the vast majority of our fans, including myself, it's impossible not to like a guy like Mikey McKenna who despite his obvious limitations puts so much in every time he steps onto the pitch in an Arbroath shirt.

In terms of being one of our best signings of the past decade - I wouldn't even say he was one of the best half a dozen signings in our current team to be honest default_laugh.png He's a fans favourite and people are very blind to his faults in my opinion - that's not a slur on Mikey, every single player in our squad has faults, it's just some of them are hounded for their faults every week while Mikey's are ignored/ forgotten a lot of the time just because of how likable he is. He is also handsome as f**k and I'm fairly certain the smell of his hair still keeps one of our younger fans up at night. [emoji7]

Not sure I agree

He's a good player all round and I'd say the fact he is 100 mile an hour and works so hard that side of his game maybe isn't appreciated as much

I'd say one of our best signings too over that period considering where he came from and how much he's added to the team

I'd have few of current players in that also. ToB/Linn and Little, possibly even Gold. We won League 1 with the guys playing big parts afterall and in the last 10 year easily our best achievement

McKenna got off to a sluggish start and was poor up in Inverness but he'd missed two weeks of pre season didn't he?

Outstanding against Alloa then great against Dunfermline too. Fact he can play anywhere across midfield and upfront well shows how good his ability is IMO