The Arbroath Thread

58 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

That would leave linn up front which I can’t see happening

Bobby could play a little narrower, in a 3-4-2-1, which would become a 5-4-1, when defending

Thing is we will most likely play a 4-4-2 with one of the top 2 slightly deeper. Makes these signings all the more baffling

Think we've got this summer so wrong. Will make a load of money with United and Dundee in the league and personally don't think we've given ourselves a proper chance. First time at this level in 16 year too it's so frustrating.

Stewart/Murphy so far look like the only decent signings IMO. Gaston is a good keeper but don't think we needed another keeper as good as him when we had DJ. Murphy looks a cracking player but we were already strong in there. Stewart looks like a better version of Kader when he plays out wide so not sure what role Kader will actually play. Wilson was needed as cover and these 2 loans do sound like promising players but they have both said their best position is central midfield when we have 5 players that play in there.

Felt we could've been more harsh in trimming the squad too... couple players come to mind and I imagine if DD had actually decided to accept the offer we gave him that would've been another wage on someone who wouldn't have made much of an impact in this league.

We don't have very much pace or creativity going forward at all and we will be a team who will be sitting in a lot and trying to counter. We looked solid and strong at the back and in the middle of the park before the season started.

Surely we should've signed a back up keeper who was better than Hill but not demanding a first team wage like Gaston. Signed somebody like Wilson. Released Kader and signed Stewart before targeting two other wide players. And tried to sign 2 strikers while trying to maybe offload 1?

I think we have a lot of very good players but I think our squad is so unbalanced it's ridiculous. Will be relying on a lot of hardworking performances, team spirit and moments of magic from Bobby Linn. Still think that could be enough however I think we could be in a much better position.

Game tomorrow could be either a massive boost or downer. Hopefully able to get the 3 points.

12 hours ago, gone fishing said:

Surely your not asking bobby to track back and defend never has and never will

A slight change in formation, he would not have to

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thing is we will most likely play a 4-4-2 with one of the top 2 slightly deeper. Makes these signings all the more baffling

Think we've got this summer so wrong. Will make a load of money with United and Dundee in the league and personally don't think we've given ourselves a proper chance. First time at this level in 16 year too it's so frustrating.

Stewart/Murphy so far look like the only decent signings IMO. Gaston is a good keeper but don't think we needed another keeper as good as him when we had DJ. Murphy looks a cracking player but we were already strong in there. Stewart looks like a better version of Kader when he plays out wide so not sure what role Kader will actually play. Wilson was needed as cover and these 2 loans do sound like promising players but they have both said their best position is central midfield when we have 5 players that play in there.

Felt we could've been more harsh in trimming the squad too... couple players come to mind and I imagine if DD had actually decided to accept the offer we gave him that would've been another wage on someone who wouldn't have made much of an impact in this league.

We don't have very much pace or creativity going forward at all and we will be a team who will be sitting in a lot and trying to counter. We looked solid and strong at the back and in the middle of the park before the season started.

Surely we should've signed a back up keeper who was better than Hill but not demanding a first team wage like Gaston. Signed somebody like Wilson. Released Kader and signed Stewart before targeting two other wide players. And tried to sign 2 strikers while trying to maybe offload 1?

I think we have a lot of very good players but I think our squad is so unbalanced it's ridiculous. Will be relying on a lot of hardworking performances, team spirit and moments of magic from Bobby Linn. Still think that could be enough however I think we could be in a much better position.

Game tomorrow could be either a massive boost or downer. Hopefully able to get the 3 points.

We are not going to get many chances in some games, so getting enough players forward is going to be crucial, so 4-4-2, with 2 deep lying centre mids, may not do this, but you are right about the summer recruitment, that's far to much agreement with you, away for a lie down

35 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Er, sorry to break it to you but, no, it isnt.

You play with the big boys now. Loan window closes next week, same as the main windiw.

Is the development loan window only open until end of September for League One/ Two teams?

The window being fully closed in a weeks time with our current attacking options....... fucking hell :lol: 

Is the development loan window only open until end of September for League One/ Two teams?
The window being fully closed in a weeks time with our current attacking options....... fucking hell [emoji38] 
I thought the development loans were scrapped last season for all SPFL teams.

1 minute ago, RedLichtie86 said:
3 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:
The window being fully closed in a weeks time with our current attacking options....... fucking hell emoji38.png 

I thought the development loans were scrapped last season for all SPFL teams.

I'm sure all loans for players under a certain age are now, technically despite the name change, "development loans".

9 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

The window being fully closed in a weeks time with our current attacking options....... fucking hell :lol: 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure all loans for players under a certain age are now, technically despite the name change, "development loans".

They are. And yes, the month extension only applies below the Championship. Which is how Dumbarton managed to get Dom Thomas last season. He would have easily got a Championship side if the window had still been open at that level when he became available.

What a win! How was Campbell when he came on? Only seen the scoreline -had a busy Saturday- hope to see the highlights later tonight, but take it Stirling didn't play?

Cannae wait til for the Jags game on the 13th when I'm next at Gayfield.  We can certainly win that. 

From what I've seen of the first few games, I think it'll be United winning the league (or LS FC as they should be known ; allegedly 4k a week wage is justifying itself) and Dundee pushing them for second. Having seen Morton, Thistle, QOTS, Caley - seems the league is wide open for the playoffs. 

Arbroath (only 3 games in) have certainly held their own in the first matches. I think staying up is very doable, worry about the size of the squad and goals but the signs are good for staying up as hack and cliche as it is : so far, so good. 

Same old comments on here regarding the strikers. It was a striker who made the pass yesterday for bobby to score.nothing about the total lack of creativity from midfield apart from Murphy shot that hit the post . Nothing said about hammys distribution yesterday which at times was woeful 4 times yesterday spence made great runs when hammy was in possession what did hammy do either gave the ball away to Alloa or hit a shit ball but nothing said on here .

Same old comments on here regarding the strikers. It was a striker who made the pass yesterday for bobby to score.nothing about the total lack of creativity from midfield apart from Murphy shot that hit the post . Nothing said about hammys distribution yesterday which at times was woeful 4 times yesterday spence made great runs when hammy was in possession what did hammy do either gave the ball away to Alloa or hit a shit ball but nothing said on here .
Hammy done fine yesterday, are you ever gonna post something positive on here cause it ain't gonna get much better for us.

And if you thought hammy done fine you were at a different game from me.as for me posting thing positive for fucks sake mate we get quotes we are doomed etc with the strikers we have etc they will pull out stats etc to rubbish the strikers yet to see a stat forward passes made tackles won in Possession then losing possession strange eh give me a break

So you never said we are doomed then

I did but has naff all to do with yesterday's game

Also said hardworking performances and magic from Bobby Linn could be enough for us to win games (which happened right after I said it [emoji23]) but feel we should be in a better position in regards to our attacking options uptop and out wide