The Arbroath Thread

Well, we are running short on midfielders!

Might be another one to add to that list

Sound like a promising/promising signings but not a clue why we are going for players in that position

Squad of about 20 and one guy who can take guys on and 3 strikers who have played well but on current form will be lucky to get 8 goals between them

He sounds like a proper defensive midfielder, a position I think we’re lacking. I think a change of shape is coming. Let’s see what final pieces of the jigsaw Dick comes up with. A striker and a goal scoring winger would set us up to play 433.

Herald says him and Stirling have been signed because Swankie and Stewart are out for 4 weeks.... So two of our more attack minded creative players are missing for 4 weeks so we've signed 2 defensive/midfield players for 6 months? [emoji23]

We now also have just 2 wingers for the next month until Stewart comes back into the squad

Honestly have no idea what's going on and hopefully get proven wrong but what do we do if Bobby is unfit? Where do the goals or our attacking threat come from?

We have a solid centre of midfield and defence already. Going forward and scoring goals was going to be such a tough task this season but don't think we have helped ourselves with the guys we've brought in and the positions they play

Imagine there'll only be potentially one more signing to come too which I'm guessing will be a striker. So plenty of Gold/McKenna on the wing I think. Not that I think they can't play there but really don't think that's their best positions

Both Stirling and Campbell have said their best position is centre midfield

So who plays out of

Swankie
McKenna
Gold
Whatley
Murphy
Stirling
Campbell

When they're all fit? When you have such a small squad it seems mad to have so many players in the one position

I remember back in March when we all (myself included) thought Dick would have been lining things up and we would be months ahead of the game. :(

Obviously we'll have to wait and see what both players are like/ how they fit in etc. and no slur on them whatsoever but ultimately we've all known where our issue would lie this season from the second Wallace was sold, and here we are 3 months later with the the same issue and no real sign of it being solved. I still remain utterly convinced we must be signing another striker in the next week or two as it'd be absolutely jaw dropping if we didn't. With the size of our squad now/ our budget you've got to be thinking we only have enough left to bring 1 more in at most and that means we're going to be lacking big time out wide or up top at least. In my opinion while in League One our players could cover in positions they weren't used to/ comfortable in but now we're up a level we can't keep doing that - also quite frankly with a squad of 20 players we shouldn't need to do that either.

Regardless, we should all bear in mind the loan window is open until the end of September and of course we can change things up in January also. However, I can't see these signings being met with anything but apathy by the vast majority of the fans considering our glaring deficiencies in other areas.

Josh campbell sounds similar to david gold, i’ll be pretty seething if he gets a game ahead of him. Other than adding depth to the squad these r strange signings. So light out wide and not much in the way of quality up top

Unless we play 4-6-0

With all of the 6 playing in the middle of the pitch this will sadly be the case

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Unless we play 4-6-0

With all of the 6 playing in the middle of the pitch this will sadly be the case

Is the gaffer looking to play three at the back with, Hammy and Jason a wee bit further forward