The Arbroath Thread

14 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Supporters bus sold out so hopefully a big following to back the boys this evening

I'm on the phone (don't know how to delete the quote, so apologies for including you Lichtie23).

How was tonight? I'm quietly optimistic about next season especially since Alloa in all their wisdom decided to appoint Peter Grant! WTF!

I'm on the phone (don't know how to delete the quote, so apologies for including you Lichtie23).
How was tonight? I'm quietly optimistic about next season especially since Alloa in all their wisdom decided to appoint Peter Grant! WTF!

Hibs had the vast majority of the ball as expected. Lost a disappointing opening goal and Hibs second was never a penalty. I think we had 1 shot on target which was very early on. More a fitness test for us with all the running we done. Loan signings will be important in the future but I do believe we have a squad capable of staying up

We won’t play a team with the quality hibs had on show tonight again this season. Being hyper critical maybe pj could of positioned himself better for the first goal. The penalty well haven’t a clue why that was awarded 3rd goal I just put down to our players tiredness we were chasing shadows at times tonight. But a win on saturday think should be enough to get through 🤞

15 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Qualification will be tight.
IMG_8849.jpg

That's a pretty meaningless table at this stage to be fair when clubs have played different numbers of games. Falkirk sit top and are effectively already out! Fundamentally though, 9 pts and a GD of at least +4 will get you through. 8 pts from a draw and penalty shoot out win and a GD of +3 might well do.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That's a pretty meaningless table at this stage to be fair when clubs have played different numbers of games. Falkirk sit top and are effectively already out! Fundamentally though, 9 pts and a GD of at least +4 will get you through. 8 pts from a draw and penalty shoot out win and a GD of +3 might well do.

It's a bit clearer now - we have a specific "worst case scenario.

Best possible second place finishes

Group A - Hearts or East Fife with 8 points

Group B - Forfar with 9 points (Forfar goal difference at least +5)

Group D - ICT or Dundee with 8 points 

Group E - Motherwell or Morton with 9 points (Morton at least +7, Motherwell would have to lose by around 5 goals to Annan)

Group F - Hamilton with 9 points (Hamilton goal difference at least +3)

Group G - Ayr with 9 points (Ayr goal difference at least +8)

Group H - East Kilbride with 8 points 

So effectively, if the worst possible set of results happens, winning by the same margin as Hamilton guarantees us a spot in the last 16

1 hour ago, ToatieScone said:

Campbells interview up on Facebook. Some haver he is

Out of all Dick's classic post match interviews, I think the one from Tuesday night is one of the more ridiculous ones :D  Claiming your keeper never had a save to make in a match with 9 shots on the goal from the opposition is almost as bold as claiming Inverness were well in the running for the League One promotion play offs,  as he did a couple of years ago :lol:

Was at the game, Hibs clearly deserved the win but 3-0 was possibly a wee bit harsh. 

In terms of the new boys, Wilson was pretty tentative in the first half and struggled to deal with Kamberi. Haven't watched the goal replays yet, but that early goal came straight through Wilson's channel, probably wasn't DJ's finest moment either, Kamberi shot from a pretty wide angle (perhaps that's harsh on DJ!). Thomson kept getting drawn infield to cover for Wilson which left space out wide for Hibs. To be fair to Wilson, I thought he did grow into the match in the second half and looked much more settled, although maybe Hibs took their foot off the gas by then.

I thought the lad Murphy worked hard and was generally tidy in possession, occasionally did want too long on the ball and was caught by Hibs' pressing. Can see him slotting in alongside Whatley for away games if we want a more solid/defensive midfield.

Bobby took quite a whack from Mallan in the first half (who got booked for his troubles) and was slow to get up. Didn't reappear for the second half but presumably just a precaution ahead of Alloa? Between the "penalty" just before half time and then Bobby going off, the second half was a bit of a training exercise but we competed well and Stewart had a couple of positive moments.

Bobby didn't have much of a chance to make an attacking impact in the first half anyway, he was tracking back to help Hammy double up on Boyle quite a few times, presumably remembering Boyle's performance in the 6-1 game. Boyle was pretty quiet (apart from the "penalty"), Horgan looked more dangerous when he came on near the end.

Also, Dick seemed to have a long chat with Scott Allan on the pitch after the final whistle, wonder what that was all about?

Can see why Madden gave the penalty pretty clearly tbf, Hammy wiped out Boyle (I think) just before Kamberi overhead kick? Overhead kick attempt is hardly an advantage either

Thomson, Wilson and ToB all sleeping at first. Wilson poor giving the ball away but him and Tob too high up the park and Thomson slow getting back in line. Made it an easy ball through with all that space in behind

3-0 isn't too bad Alloa will be interesting

Hopefully get a couple of loans in after the betfred groups are over

Explain please so madden let play go on Boyle got his cross in so the advantage was giving to Boyle .kamberi got his shot away could argue it was high feet from him so the advantage has come and gone madden is a total joke

Let play go on? It was a couple of seconds, and it doesn't matter, that can't be classed as an advantage over getting a penalty

Definitely a penalty

I could see why it would be hard to see in real time at the game focussing on the ball but the highlights show it clear as day

So if kamberi scored would he let the goal stand if so he has played advantage. He also gave Boyle the advantage to get his cross in once that cross goes in surely all advantage has been given therefore no penalty

Obviously he would've let it stand [emoji23][emoji23]

You'd be lucky if there was 3 seconds between the ball leaving Boyles foot (just before he got taken out by Hamilton) and the ball being over the bar ffs it would've been impossible to whistle before the overhead kick anyway [emoji23]

Could understand it being really hard to see at the time but if you watch it back it's as clear as day

Highlights are on Hibs TV freeview. You only get the goals