The Arbroath Thread

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

But he never got red carded and he scored 2, good night for any striker

Spot on, Spence is a penalty box striker and if you give him service he will score goals, was working last night so only seen the highlights but his first goal was a typical poachers goal but great run to beat the offside trap and his second goal was great footwork and a calm finish, he also looks a lot fitter this season, Spence and Doris are totally different strikers with Doris being a superb lone striker but if we play 2 up top then Spence is you penalty box striker, both great at what they do.

Well done on your 2 goals Spence, after the crap he took on this board last season give the boy a bit of credit as he is OUR player ffs.

C'Mon the Red Lichties.

Leodhas, what a Lichtie legend you are already, well done and very nicely produced!

Look at Boabskin after Spencey's second, and the joy. Great for Greig and hopefully a few more.

Also, with Murphy signing surely he should get a US flag above his name/number? 😁

Going from that though, Stirling look hard done by to lose 6-1. Still, a decent start to the season! Need 2 more players, IMO. Surely a couple of Premiership loans?

11 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Spot on, Spence is a penalty box striker and if you give him service he will score goals

Seems like you are suggesting he didn't get any service last season, despite being part of a squad that won the league at a canter.

You might be right though, at least our creative players will have more space and time on the ball because we're playing in a higher division.

Edited by HeraldSchumacher

Don't think he was near his best when he came last season. Had sat on the bench the first 6 month of the season at Alloa. Noticeable difference in just the way he's getting himself about the park so far for me. Looks fitter and sharper

Kejan think and hope you're spot on. Couple of quality attacking premiership loans would be perfect to complete the squad

20 minutes ago, HeraldSchumacher said:

Spot on, Spence is a penalty box striker and if you give him service he will score goals

Outrageously harsh on our Championship winning team! If that was the case, you might be very worried that we've not added at least a couple of good creative players to push out players like Linn who haven't created chances for 6 months? :unsure: 

7 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Spence & Donnelly are the likely candidates for taking most of the criticism this season

Well yes, very understandably at this stage. No club has a situation where the fans blindly support every player and happy clap every single thing they do. Quite clearly based on last season fans are going to be very apprehensive about Donnelly and Spence stepping up to Championship level. It would be complete and utter blind faith to not be apprehensive about it! Considering our fans berated our best striker by some distance last season, it's absolutely no surprise whatsoever that they would be frustrated by two strikers who came in and scored 3 goals in 26 games for the club between them.

Any Arbroath fan who doesn't want our players to do well is an idiot. I'm sure every single fan wants Donnelly, Spence and the rest of our squad to have good seasons this year. Even those like myself who don't think either of them are up to the level we need for the Championship will be delighted Spence got a couple on Tuesday. He is our player, and regardless of our opinions on him we want him to prove us wrong and contribute to the team/ get on the scoresheet this season.

At this point in time, the facts and performances so far would 'back up' someone of the opinion Spence will struggle this season every day of the week. To then be having a go at people for basing their opinions on what we've all seen over the past 6 months when someone says something that doesn't look like an entry to a competition to fit the most positive adjective's into one sentence seems very odd to me.

Saying 'Greig Spence is fucking shite and we need rid of him' - poor comment, really just abusive towards Spence and not constructive whatsoever. I've not really seen any of this yet? Saying 'Greig Spence has been poor for us throughout his time at the club and has shown nothing that makes me think he is a Championship level player' - a fair analysis of someone who has watched every game he has played for us. I don't see anything wrong with someone being of that opinion and putting it across like that?

I also recall a few games last season during our poor run of form where Linn and Swankie were well below par, almost non existent and even Tam made a few errors and dropped his usual high standards but as soon as you come on here after a game it was all about how "pish" Spence and Donnelly had been. Fans love a scapegoat when things aren't going well.

Spence and Doris look like different players and I am looking forward to seeing how many goals/assists they get in the first half dozen - 10 games against far stronger opposition. Pretty sure we will see a loan striker / front player coming in before the end of August so one of them may not get the opportunities.

Hi all, just joined.
Any injury updates ahead of the Hibs game? Why did Thomson have to go off against Stirling? Is Stewart match fit? When is Donnelly expected back?

Don’t know
Don’t know
And don’t know

Donnelly was doing the pre match warm up tho on Wednesday

10 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Outrageously harsh on our Championship winning team! If that was the case, you might be very worried that we've not added at least a couple of good creative players to push out players like Linn who haven't created chances for 6 months? :unsure: 

Well yes, very understandably at this stage. No club has a situation where the fans blindly support every player and happy clap every single thing they do. Quite clearly based on last season fans are going to be very apprehensive about Donnelly and Spence stepping up to Championship level. It would be complete and utter blind faith to not be apprehensive about it! Considering our fans berated our best striker by some distance last season, it's absolutely no surprise whatsoever that they would be frustrated by two strikers who came in and scored 3 goals in 26 games for the club between them.

Any Arbroath fan who doesn't want our players to do well is an idiot. I'm sure every single fan wants Donnelly, Spence and the rest of our squad to have good seasons this year. Even those like myself who don't think either of them are up to the level we need for the Championship will be delighted Spence got a couple on Tuesday. He is our player, and regardless of our opinions on him we want him to prove us wrong and contribute to the team/ get on the scoresheet this season.

At this point in time, the facts and performances so far would 'back up' someone of the opinion Spence will struggle this season every day of the week. To then be having a go at people for basing their opinions on what we've all seen over the past 6 months when someone says something that doesn't look like an entry to a competition to fit the most positive adjective's into one sentence seems very odd to me.

Saying 'Greig Spence is fucking shite and we need rid of him' - poor comment, really just abusive towards Spence and not constructive whatsoever. I've not really seen any of this yet? Saying 'Greig Spence has been poor for us throughout his time at the club and has shown nothing that makes me think he is a Championship level player' - a fair analysis of someone who has watched every game he has played for us. I don't see anything wrong with someone being of that opinion and putting it across like that?

?????? Simon were you on the Buckie when you wrote this? at no point was there a slant on last season's superb Championship winning team who supplied great service to our forwards, the fact is as has been stated above was Spence was not match fit when he arrived at the Red Lichties and after not scoring in his first few games you could see his frustration, he has had a good pre-season and is looking fitter and sharper and is scoring goals and long may that continue, your statement can only be described as "codswallop".

Well spence was bad against hearts bad against hibs. So we start the bet Fred cup and shocking against Elgin. Came on at half time against a Stirling side who when he scored were breathing out of there arses. Totally agree regarding simons conclusions he might of been on the Buckie but f**k knows what your on

Well spence was bad against hearts bad against hibs. So we start the bet Fred cup and shocking against Elgin. Came on at half time against a Stirling side who when he scored were breathing out of there arses. Totally agree regarding simons conclusions he might of been on the Buckie but f**k knows what your on

Jeez. Support our players.

You criticise everyone except Doris that plays upfront to be fair

On 18/07/2019 at 19:38, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

3 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

at no point was there a slant on last season's superb Championship winning team who supplied great service to our forwards

This is very confusing.

To clarify, Spence is a penalty box striker who if given service will score goals and while playing in our team last year was supplied with great service but when I look at the scoring charts last year I see an entry of '0' in the goals scored column? :unsure:;) 

As I say, going forward I'm sure everyone wants Greig Spence and every other player in our squad to do well this season. However, there's nothing wrong with football fans being a tad pessimistic about a penalty box striker who failed to score a goal last year, despite being supplied with great service, stepping up a level and doing the business for us in the division above. If Greig Spence plays regularly this year and has a return of 10+ goals I'd be absolutely delighted and if he proves me wrong then I'll be as happy as the next Arbroath fan. He's having a good pre season, and while non competitive games and games against League Two opposition are hardly a test of what's to come this year he has scored goals which will hopefully boost his confidence. We really need at least two of our signed strikers to contribute this year alongside another loan and so far Spence has shown there is a chance he can do so.

I think we should all support our players during the 90 minutes and get right behind them as long as they're giving their all, but why the f**k are any of us posting on a football forum if it isn't to discuss football and give our differing opinions? If the only thing that's 'allowed' is saying everything and everyone connected with Arbroath FC is absolutely fantastic and wonderful then what's the point? Lucky the vast majority of things connected to Arbroath FC right now are fantastic and wonderful :D If this pre season Dick had signed 6 amateur players and nothing else, would the mentality still be that of unquestioning support of the players, any questioning/ worrying about their ability being unacceptable? At what point is worrying/ questioning things acceptable?