The Arbroath Thread

21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Really wanting a few new faces in. Hopefully as soon as League cup fixtures are out of the way

I think at this point how are season pans out is very much dependent on the 2/3 signings we've still to make and how they turn out. 2/3 good additions in the right areas and it gives us a good chance of fighting it out to stay up, but if we're unable to add the required quality we could end up really struggling.

I certainly wouldn't have a go at Dick for not making the required signings yet (not that you are!) as we're at a stage where it's very difficult to add to the squad. As everyone knows loans won't come through until August or so (remember when people demanded we didn't make any loan signings :lol: ) and in terms of permenent signings we're looking to add the best part time players available. Unfortunately Alloa have a load of them signed up already, as do we, and there are very few available, quality players in the positions we need to strengthen and Dick can't produce players out of thin air, or sign bang average players just for the sake of it. I'm happier having a small squad with signings needed at this stage than a squad of 18+ but the signings are all run of the mill average part time players.

I think at this point how are season pans out is very much dependent on the 2/3 signings we've still to make and how they turn out. 2/3 good additions in the right areas and it gives us a good chance of fighting it out to stay up, but if we're unable to add the required quality we could end up really struggling.
I certainly wouldn't have a go at Dick for not making the required signings yet (not that you are!) as we're at a stage where it's very difficult to add to the squad. As everyone knows loans won't come through until August or so (remember when people demanded we didn't make any loan signings :lol: ) and in terms of permenent signings we're looking to add the best part time players available. Unfortunately Alloa have a load of them signed up already, as do we, and there are very few available, quality players in the positions we need to strengthen and Dick can't produce players out of thin air, or sign bang average players just for the sake of it. I'm happier having a small squad with signings needed at this stage than a squad of 18+ but the signings are all run of the mill average part time players.

Yeah what I feel.

The 3 new guys could take us to another level.

Really needing them, lost one of our best attacking players and haven't replaced him. Even if we were still in L1 I'd say we were currently weaker overall than last season purely because of that

Hoping DC can produce something to give us best chance possible

Stewart has certainly improved us, far better suited to the championship than Denholm and McCord who he has effectively replaced. Gaston is certainly an improvement on Hill.

2 Loans should really help us out but just hoping we get the right ones and they are in positions that we need.

Stewart has certainly improved us, far better suited to the championship than Denholm and McCord who he has effectively replaced. Gaston is certainly an improvement on Hill.
2 Loans should really help us out but just hoping we get the right ones and they are in positions that we need.

Stewart definitely a big improvement on Denholm (last seasons Denholm anyway) I would agree but Wallace was so important to us going forward. Only 1 keeper will actually play so although that position is stronger don't think the starting 11 is

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Unfortunately Alloa have a load of them signed up already, as do we, and there are very few available, quality players in the positions we need to strengthen and Dick can't produce players out of thin air, or sign bang average players just for the sake of it. I'm happier having a small squad with signings needed at this stage than a squad of 18+ but the signings are all run of the mill average part time players.

So basically, you don't want me signed up then. :lol:

We signed Stewart as a winger played really good in centre mid against hearts. Against hibs played in the position we signed him and was poor. Spence and Doris looking sharper every week onwards and upwards lads

Agree with that. Stewart looked better centrally so far, but we can’t start Omar so hopefully gets a run on the wing during the league cup.

McKenna is perfect upfront next to a creative striker who can hold it in and put him in behind.

Pressed the opposition right from the front, takes pressure off the whole team by closing down and his work rate takes the team up the park too. We will really need that this year

I'd personally currently have him staring upfront over any of the other options we have

I wouldn't mind another central midfielder too similar to Scott Martin. Not sure id have Swankie starting in centre mid in some of our harder away games

I think potentially a central midfield player, a winger and a striker are still required

Yes Stewart was signed to play on the wing but you've got to have other options too. If him or Linn are out injured Omar is playing every week and he's been great for us but this is definitely a step too far for him