The Arbroath Thread

We need a defensive backup who can play left back. We have no cover there. Not another right back. We also need some more star quality in midfield and up front - loans I imagine. But if we’re only going to have a squad of 20 we can’t afford many maybes.

I think we’re fine in midfield. Stewart, Gold, Whatley and Swankie are all quality players. Attack is still a worry for me. Not convinced by Donnelly and sceptical about Spence once the serious football starts again. Could be wrong and happy to be proven wrong. A loan striker would be pleasing.

Don’t think left back is a problem really, Gold has done well there before and as has been said many times there’s not many better p/t left backs than Hamilton so can’t just bring someone in to be back up, I just don’t think that works at all, any player coming in needs to be able to force their way into the team.

I would imagine there will be plenty budget left and would make the forward areas  more of a priority.

We were very lucky with injuries last season. Defensive cover is essential. Maybe Wilson. I haven’t seen him. Gold is good and versatile but not a good enough left back.

This has been said for 3 years now

Personally as a part time team I don't think you can have 7 defenders in your squad of 20. Waste of money and takes away options in midfield and upfront

We have 4 solid defenders who are versatile and can all play very well at centre half if required. And 2 midfield players that can cover both full back spots if need be

Full back is the easiest position on the park, midfield players can play there, just have to be decent defensively, bit of pace and comfortable on the ball. Happens at every level. Top two in England play Milner and Delph there a lot

Would rather we focused on the forward areas, we can be solid against any team. Got hard workers, experience, physicality and good technical players at the back and in midfield. Along with 2 good keepers

Attacking wise and creativity wise we have a bit more pace in the team going forward now with Stewart but I'd like to see another option like Linn and Stewart because Omar just ain't gonna cut it as an attacking threat. Maybe even 2 players like that.

Upfront Doris has looked sharp and will surely only get sharper, Donnelly I'm unconvinced and he is also now maybe injured for a while, Spence is doing well too but I feel like he should've been good for a team at the top like we were last season. Not sure how he will do as a player to try take pressure off us and work off little this season. Obviously have McKenna who is great at running the channels and taking pressure off us by holding it up but think another option upfront with a lot of pace would be ideal.

I'd say Wilson as extra cover

Then 3 attacking loans that can give us some pace and creativity going forward

Equals a squad of 20

7 defenders? We’ve got 4. Whatever. I’ll trust Dick to get the balance right.

Maybe misread you earlier, apologies. Thought you said we needed another left back and right back option too. If Wilson signs and any of the centre halves get injured or suspended Hammy will not need to move like last season, same with Thomson.

Think full back is an easy position though. Wouldn't have either Gold or Whatley there a full season but would be comfortable with any of them filling in. Stewart will be able to play right back too.

22 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

I thought he was brilliant against Hearts last weekend and he came on and scored against Hibs on Wednesday, He has looked sharp and really confident so hopefully the Pre season has done him the world of good, Early signs are promising anyway 

He scored again today against Celtic 

The reason why Wilson is probably a pointless signing is that if any centre backs gets injured, hamy or Thomson would move to the middle and gold would play full back ahead of playing Wilson. 

Why would that happen when you could literally just keep them both where they are and put Wilson in? Haha

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

The reason why Wilson is probably a pointless signing is that if any centre backs gets injured, hamy or Thomson would move to the middle and gold would play full back ahead of playing Wilson. 

Signing Wilson would prevent us playing our best midfielder at full back in such a situation, so not pointless at all. 

Yeah its not a pointless signing if he is a straight back up and is deemed good enough to play if Obrien or Little are unavailable. I am not sure he is.

Well if he signed, Dick Campbell would be of the opinion he was??

Sometimes think things are maybe over thought a bit, as a back up centre half it's nothing fancy, if he's able to come in keep it simple and head it and kick it then that would do. He was at Berwick but it's a team game, McKenna was in their poor teams too as was Gold. A lot easier to play in a better team.

This is if he even signs of course

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well if he signed, Dick Campbell would be of the opinion he was??

Sometimes think things are maybe over thought a bit, as a back up centre half it's nothing fancy, if he's able to come in keep it simple and head it and kick it then that would do. He was at Berwick but it's a team game, McKenna was in their poor teams too as was Gold. A lot easier to play in a better team.

This is if he even signs of course

Absolutely, will be interesting to get a look at him again tomorrow night. I am not convinced but we will see.

Last 3 games we kept a clean sheet for most of the time he was on the pitch. Most defenders would have struggled against some of these youngsters. A big 24 year old with plenty to offer at set pieces should be worth a punt.