The Arbroath Thread

It’s a team game and a tad pretentious, aping the big clubs but it’s a trivial preference. And of course maybe not the most efficient use of resources since some players will move on etc. Since we’re on tv this year, maybe they’re also necessary in that regard

I remember our school team decades ago received some well worn used strips from AFC. A bit too big for us.... but no names on the back, let alone sponsor branding.

It’s a team game and a tad pretentious, aping the big clubs but it’s a trivial preference. And of course maybe not the most efficient use of resources since some players will move on etc. Since we’re on tv this year, maybe they’re also necessary in that regard

I remember our school team decades ago received some well worn used strips from AFC. A bit too big for us.... but no names on the back, let alone sponsor branding.

I’m a traditionalist and am not a fan of squad numbers/names on the shirt. Im sure it’s a requirement for the championship tho. If we ever go back down to league 1 I hope we would resort to the 1-11

Haha the most efficient use of resources? Surely will be an extremely minimal cost at the very most?

Seeing the number 11 with Linns name on it and Swankie's name on the number 10 brought me a strange sense of satisfaction. Finally their jerseys after they've turned out in them god knows how many times

Not sure why it isn't a requirement throughout all the leagues, imagine it will be in the future

From a marketing perspective, squad numbers make more sense. It’s a shame the club don’t have a provision at Gayfield to print as I’m sure longer term that could make more money. But it is what it is, the outlay for a machine will probably be a decent cost. 

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m a traditionalist and am not a fan of squad numbers/names on the shirt. Im sure it’s a requirement for the championship tho. If we ever go back down to league 1 I hope we would resort to the 1-11

Neither am i, but this season is going to be a rollercoaster, so I will suffer squad numbers

1 hour ago, weetoonlad said:

How is Spence doing

I thought he was brilliant against Hearts last weekend and he came on and scored against Hibs on Wednesday, He has looked sharp and really confident so hopefully the Pre season has done him the world of good, Early signs are promising anyway 

7 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought the same when Ayr got promoted then relegated again 2 years ago.  But we kept the squad numbers with names and i've been totally converted.  Bet u will too.  Although you'll probably stay up anyway. 

Decent enough showing today. Gav impressed in the middle of the park and Spence looked sharp up top. Hopefully Donnelly has only taken a knock and we come through the Montrose friendly unscathed. Then it’s on to the real stuff next Saturday!

I thought the boy Wilson did well again. Not an easy game against those quick youngsters. I would hope that Dick might sign him as a back up cb.

Think he will it makes sense. Seems to be good pals with Gold and McKenna. He likes to sign guys like that to keep the dressing room solid. Similar reasons as to why we were wanting Andy Munro back last season.

We need a defensive backup who can play left back. We have no cover there. Not another right back. We also need some more star quality in midfield and up front - loans I imagine. But if we’re only going to have a squad of 20 we can’t afford many maybes.