The Arbroath Thread

While I'm also happy with how we've looked in our two friendlies so far, can I please remind everyone there is an absolutely massive difference between friendlies and competitive games. No-one's expectations for a season should change based on friendly results in my opinion, except in very extreme circumstances. The main thing is getting fitness into the players, which playing full time teams certainly helps with due to the quicker pace of the game.

It's really impossible to read into anything much based on friendlies. For example, Greig Spence looked sharp and did well to hold the ball up against Hearts which was good to see, but if he couldn't hold the ball up against a young centre back in a friendly where the physicality is far, far less than a competitive match that would be very, very worrying. It also doesn't mean anything in the scale of things, as he won't play a competitive game as easy as that during the entire season you'd expect. That's not a slur on Spence at all - It's simply pointing out the huge difference between proper physical competitive football against professionals and a friendly game against a young centre half.

Out of the 5 trialists that have played, you'd expect we'd sign at absolute maximum 2, and preferrably 1. We need to bring in 1/2 proper quality players out wide/ up top for the competitive season. Again, it's all well and good a trialist looking good in a game that lacks physicality, but there are many talented players out there who when it comes to the crunch cannot deal with the physical side of the game. Friendly matches won't ever fully show that sort of weakness up in my opinion, similarly the pace of a friendly is also a yard or two off a competitive game which can see players who look good in pre-season quickly shown up in the competitive stuff.

The main thing for me is getting through the friendlies with no injury concerns and with fitness levels as high as they can be throughout the squad and evaluating trialists and hopefully picking up one who can do a job for us. If we can do that, then regardless of winning, drawing or loses games it'll have been a successful pre-season in my opinion.

While I'm also happy with how we've looked in our two friendlies so far, can I please remind everyone there is an absolutely massive difference between friendlies and competitive games. No-one's expectations for a season should change based on friendly results in my opinion, except in very extreme circumstances. The main thing is getting fitness into the players, which playing full time teams certainly helps with due to the quicker pace of the game.
It's really impossible to read into anything much based on friendlies. For example, Greig Spence looked sharp and did well to hold the ball up against Hearts which was good to see, but if he couldn't hold the ball up against a young centre back in a friendly where the physicality is far, far less than a competitive match that would be very, very worrying. It also doesn't mean anything in the scale of things, as he won't play a competitive game as easy as that during the entire season you'd expect. That's not a slur on Spence at all - It's simply pointing out the huge difference between proper physical competitive football against professionals and a friendly game against a young centre half.
 Out of the 5 trialists that have played, you'd expect we'd sign at absolute maximum 2, and preferrably 1. We need to bring in 1/2 proper quality players out wide/ up top for the competitive season. Again, it's all well and good a trialist looking good in a game that lacks physicality, but there are many talented players out there who when it comes to the crunch cannot deal with the physical side of the game. Friendly matches won't ever fully show that sort of weakness up in my opinion, similarly the pace of a friendly is also a yard or two off a competitive game which can see players who look good in pre-season quickly shown up in the competitive stuff.
The main thing for me is getting through the friendlies with no injury concerns and with fitness levels as high as they can be throughout the squad and evaluating trialists and hopefully picking up one who can do a job for us. If we can do that, then regardless of winning, drawing or loses games it'll have been a successful pre-season in my opinion.
I agree with this, good that the players are looking fit and sharp and is always a confidence booster to win games even if they are friendlies. There has been some experienced defenders playing in the two games with Berra, Hanlon etc so a good test but not the same as a competitive game.

Good for the players to get used to being pressed and having less time on the ball.
This will probably be the norm for next season. We will be doing a lot of closing down and need to make sure we don't give away cheap possession. Promising so far but friendlies are just that. Getting the guys fit for the league games must be our priority imo.

I would imagine 1-11 will be our starting 11 with maybe the exception of stewart

Depends who is signed. Like I've said hopefully 3 exciting attacking players. Wilson will probably sign and become the back up defender I think.

Thoughts on the trialists so far

Ciaran Brian-Has looked okay in his outings so far. Hasn’t really had the choice to venture forward much so not sure what he’s like going forward

Robert Wilson-Not convinced at all. Playing a good Hibs team tonight but seemed to get sold very very easily by strikers and poor on the ball.

Jamie McKenzie-Barely gotten a kick of the ball in either of his appearances.

James Murphy-Looked quite similar to Whatley, but with a better passing range. Would like to see him again.

Okay, sorry mister negative , back the team you fool

Is it mandatory in the championship for players’ names to appear on the back of shirts? I disapprove.

On a separate matter, though a season ticket holder, I seldom bother to travel for summer friendlies. 90 minutes swanning around in sunshine usually in T-shirt or similar is unsatisfactory preparation for supporters for the Gayfield season ahead and its delightful challenging weather.

Is it mandatory in the championship for players’ names to appear on the back of shirts? I disapprove.

On a separate matter, though a season ticket holder, I seldom bother to travel for summer friendlies. 90 minutes swanning around in sunshine usually in T-shirt or similar is unsatisfactory preparation for supporters for the Gayfield season ahead and its delightful challenging weather.

Yes I think so.

And why? It looks way more proffesional?