The Arbroath Thread

Thoughts on the trialists so far

Ciaran Brian-Has looked okay in his outings so far. Hasn’t really had the choice to venture forward much so not sure what he’s like going forward

Robert Wilson-Not convinced at all. Playing a good Hibs team tonight but seemed to get sold very very easily by strikers and poor on the ball.

Jamie McKenzie-Barely gotten a kick of the ball in either of his appearances.

James Murphy-Looked quite similar to Whatley, but with a better passing range. Would like to see him again.

Thoughts on the trialists so far

Ciaran Brian-Has looked okay in his outings so far. Hasn’t really had the choice to venture forward much so not sure what he’s like going forward

Robert Wilson-Not convinced at all. Playing a good Hibs team tonight but seemed to get sold very very easily by strikers and poor on the ball.

Jamie McKenzie-Barely gotten a kick of the ball in either of his appearances.

James Murphy-Looked quite similar to Whatley, but with a better passing range. Would like to see him again.

Harsh on Wilson. Looked solid tonight. Happy to take him as a backup

Didn’t think Wilson really did anything wrong either, would take a look at them all again on Sunday. It’s a tough one because we will want to get game time/minutes into our first team players but also these trialists need a bit longer to see if they’re up to it. There is also a chance that they are only with us to cover the friendlies so wouldn’t read too much into it. 

I hope we can get 3 quality loans. But big clubs will be wanting to keep their fringe and youth players until after their pre season camps and the League Cup to give them a chance in that.

Hopefully DC been charming Levein, Heckingbotham and Lennon or whoever is representing Celtic on Sunday.

Maybe that was the thought behind the friendlies?

Still we have a good strong core of players anyway and two games in against two good teams it's pleasing to see.

Pre season is always hard to judge though, Hester probably would've scored 5 over the 2 games if he was still here

I also thought Wilson looked good, wouldn’t mind him sticking around for a back up. 

Good to see Spence get a goal and Stevie took his goals well - great confidence boost for him also. Nice to see our goals coming from the strikers as people moaned about prior. 

Gav and Omar also looking f**ked early on

nice to get another win and looking forward to Sunday 

Edited by Plesslitchie

I thought Wilson looked fine in this game too but again, I'm not sure about his composure on the ball. Doesn't look like a player just relegated from League 2.

Murphy looks decent and worth another look.

McKenzie looks too lightweight, don't think we'll be able to accommodate him.

Brian has been fine but he's not as good as Thomson so unless he has another position, I don't think he'll be kept.

Doris great finish again tonight 3 goals in 2 games looking sharper and fitter every week happy for spence to get his goal Stewart disappointing tonight. Agree regarding Wilson didn’t do to much wrong. Galston looks good in the goal onward and upward

Dick seemed impressed by Wilson and pointed out that he was only 24 so could progress. Central defenders are at a premium and we’ve been very lucky with the fitness of ours. I suspect Wilson might be made an offer?

Another brilliant performance from the mighty red lichties again last night, the Edinburgh doubler has been completed, promising signs for a very exciting season ahead. I have been impressed with all 5 of the trialists so far and wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of them landed a deal, really liked Brian from Saturday and thought Wilson was great last night, Murphy looks decent too.