The Arbroath Thread

21 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'm intrigued as to what you'd define as a 'chance'. Spence played 21 games last year (13 starts, 11 sub appearances) in the league and Doris got 9 starts and 11 sub appearances. I love Stevie D and think his all round game offers a lot to the team, and considering he was coming back from a long term injury mid season without doing a pre season obviously has to be taken into considering. However, facts are facts and 2 goals in 20 appearances in the league below the one we're going into is worrying, lets be honest.

Greig Spence didn't score a single goal in the league last season, despite playing 21 games overall (13 for us). He struggled at Championship level (as he has done throughout his career) and was punted by Alloa (a team we have to be looking to be better than this year) due to not being up to it for them. He then dropped down to us and in those 13 games was, frankly, abject at absolute best.

Those goalscoring records are what you expect at a team at the bottom of the division, not the top of it. Considering the amount of chances we created at times last season, it's very alarmingly to me that two strikers managed two goals in 41 appearances overall. Let's also remember our other 'main' attacking option is Luke Donnelly....... surely he deserves as much as a chance as Spence/ Doris?

How much of a chance should any player be given on top of what they got last year? Another 10/15 games at Championship level!?

Agree with all of this, I would be very concerned going into the championship with Doris, Donnelly and Spence. 99% convinced there will be two forwards coming in whether that be on loan or not. 

We'll likely be playing one upfront with one just off (likely McKenna) so I think their may only be one coming in, provided none of those 3 leave.

A fit Doris might do a job, I still think there might be more to come from Donnelly while Spence would be my preference to get shot of. Need some mugs in the Lowland League to throw money at him.

Might not manage to get loans in for a few weeks yet. Young guys will be away on pre season training camps with their clubs.

Some good suggestions so far. Daniel Armstrong from Ross County would be good to get too if it was possible.

On 25/06/2019 at 12:56, RedLichtie86 said:
On 25/06/2019 at 12:41, Lichtie78 said:

Lee Erwin is a free agent after his wee jaunt to Iran was unsurprisingly cut short. Ridiculously optimistic but chuck him a deal and let him put himself in the shop window perhaps?

Hell even just a deal until the end of August would be ideal. He could get some game time and have the option to go anywhere after it.

That's not actually allowed under current rules. Minimum contract length is to the opening of the next window so anyone signed today has to be contracted to 1st January minimum.

Plus, given the 2 clubs in one season limit now, no player in their right mind would write off one of them before the League season even starts. If it then doesn't work at a new club then he's stuck there for the rest of the season anyway.

I must say I’m getting concerned at the lack of any signing news. One real benefit we derived last season was having the entire squad in place early, hence the great start which we continued. Like others on here, strengthening the squad in several key areas seems essential to try and be competitive. Yet we’ve not replaced our most effective forward from last season (Bobby Linn being much more than that). We have every reason to have faith in the management team (and the Board) so these gaps may yet/must be filled ... but time is passing.

I’m normally very patient and realistic but the start of the season can often set the tone for the remainder and it looks to be even more challenging

42 minutes ago, Hello Sailor said:

Top man mate cheers

I'm right up for going to a shitehole. 99p drinks? 

If you’re lucky enough to get served by the ignorant bar staff, it isn’t a cheap shitehole unfortunately. 

Megatech Projects Ltd Extends Sponsorship / New Kit Launch

Arbroath FC are very happy to announced that former player George Rowe has extended his relationship with the club as his company, Megatech Projects Ltd will continue to be our main shirt sponsor for the next two seasons.

George Rowe joined the club at the start of 2000 and was part of a formidable defence alongside Jim Thomson as Arbroath were promoted to the first division coming runners up behind Partick Thistle.

In his second season at Gayfield George led Arbroath into the First Division in an incredible season where Arbroath finished in 7th place above St Mirren, Falkirk and Raith Rovers.

Megatech Projects Ltd Managing Director George Rowe said;

“MegaTech Projects are delighted to extend our 5 year sponsorship with Arbroath FC for another 2 years continuing our long standing association.

I’ve known Chairman Mike Card for about 20 years and Manager Dick Campbell was the last manager to sign me for Partick thistle so it’s great to help them and the club succeed and build for the Championship.”

Arbroath Chairman Mike Caird added;

“George Rowe and his father, Jim are great friends and have been sponsors of the club for many years. George was a vital player in our last foray into the old First Division and we are delighted and grateful that George will be with us again as we enter the Championship as our main shirt sponsor in what will be an exciting season for everyone."

We are also delighted to launch our brand new Championship kits from Pendle.

Our home kit keeps our traditional maroon colour but with slight darker maroon stripes running vertically on the shirt and white trim on the sleeves and shoulder. We will revert back to wearing white shorts and our socks will once again be maroon.

The away kit is a new colour scheme as we take a step away from the black kit of the past few seasons and revert back to our navy design. We will have all white top with a navy design at the top, with navy shorts and socks.

For the very first time the Arbroath playing kits will feature squad numbers and names on the back of their shirts as we enter the Ladbrokes Championship. Squad Numbers will be released before the start of the League Campaign.

Unfortunately due to circumstances out of our control the players, will not be wearing the new strips for our friendly against Heart of Midlothian on Saturday due to the official SPFL Championship sleeve badge being rebranded at the the last minute.

We have a very limited amount of replica shirts arriving tomorrow and we will be opening up from 6pm to 8pm on Friday 28th June. Please note we will not be selling any replica kits before 6pm.

We understand there is a large demand for new strips and more kits are already ordered and we will be receiving that stock in the next few coming days.

Season Ticket Holders are entitled to 10% off a replica shirt or 10% of the full replica kit (please note the 10% discount does not cover anything else in the club shop)

Replica shirts are £40 for Children and £45 for Adults
Replica kits (shirts, socks and shorts) are £55 for Children and £60 for Adults
and come in these sizes;

XS (Ages 4 to 5) - Chest size 22/24” - Waist size 18/20”
S - (Ages 6 to 7) - Chest size 26/28” - Waist size 21/23”
SY (Ages 8 to 10) - Chest size 30/32” - Waist size 24/26”
Y - (Ages 11-13) - Chest size 34/36” - Waist size 27/29”
S-M (Ages 14+) - Chest size 38/40” - Waist size 30/32”
L - Chest size 42/44” - Waist size 33/35”
XL - Chest size 46/48” - Waist size 37/39”

Thank you!

C’mon the Lichties!