The Arbroath Thread

I would like to see another two signings in sooner rather than later, I think we need a defender, midfielder and forward. I would imagine that loans will come in but clubs seem reluctant to release loans until August which may leave us short in the cup games. 

Dick might sign boys to 6 month deals, like he done with Finn Graham last season. Less said about him the better tho

I would like to see another two signings in sooner rather than later, I think we need a defender, midfielder and forward. I would imagine that loans will come in but clubs seem reluctant to release loans until August which may leave us short in the cup games. 

Says that's what we're wanting in the paper. No fussed about what the defender is like cause it'll be hard to get a good one that's happy not to be first choice. Think the other 2 signings are important though they need to be really good. Very worried about us upfront and Stewart seems like a good signing on paper but feel like we need another attacking midfield player too.

We need a good back up defender but more importantly, a first choice striker. A young, loan player may be the answer because he would get plenty of games which is what a parent club demands. A Lee Erwin type situation would be ideal.

Lee Erwin is a free agent after his wee jaunt to Iran was unsurprisingly cut short. Ridiculously optimistic but chuck him a deal and let him put himself in the shop window perhaps?

Lee Erwin is a free agent after his wee jaunt to Iran was unsurprisingly cut short. Ridiculously optimistic but chuck him a deal and let him put himself in the shop window perhaps?
Hell even just a deal until the end of August would be ideal. He could get some game time and have the option to go anywhere after it.

Kenny miller gayfield bound?[emoji102]
Signed for Partick. Let's face it guys. Players from full time clubs won't come to us unless there is a chance of a coaching/manager job or they want to wind down their football career and use the time to go to college, uni or a job they can fit in with part time football. If we can get a Lee Erwin type loan then great, but let's give Spence and Doris a chance as well. It is going to be a hard watch this season at times but that goes with the territory of being a part time team in a predominantly full time league. Main thing is the fans get behind DC and the team and support the club. C'mon lichties

Signed for Partick. Let's face it guys. Players from full time clubs won't come to us unless there is a chance of a coaching/manager job or they want to wind down their football career and use the time to go to college, uni or a job they can fit in with part time football. If we can get a Lee Erwin type loan then great, but let's give Spence and Doris a chance as well. It is going to be a hard watch this season at times but that goes with the territory of being a part time team in a predominantly full time league. Main thing is the fans get behind DC and the team and support the club. C'mon lichties

The Miller comment was also a pisstake.. [emoji23]

58 minutes ago, relichtie said:
On 23/06/2019 at 21:03, ASC1878 said:
Kenny miller gayfield bound?emoji102.png

I'm intrigued as to what you'd define as a 'chance'. Spence played 21 games last year (13 starts, 11 sub appearances) in the league and Doris got 9 starts and 11 sub appearances. I love Stevie D and think his all round game offers a lot to the team, and considering he was coming back from a long term injury mid season without doing a pre season obviously has to be taken into considering. However, facts are facts and 2 goals in 20 appearances in the league below the one we're going into is worrying, lets be honest.

Greig Spence didn't score a single goal in the league last season, despite playing 21 games overall (13 for us). He struggled at Championship level (as he has done throughout his career) and was punted by Alloa (a team we have to be looking to be better than this year) due to not being up to it for them. He then dropped down to us and in those 13 games was, frankly, abject at absolute best.

Those goalscoring records are what you expect at a team at the bottom of the division, not the top of it. Considering the amount of chances we created at times last season, it's very alarmingly to me that two strikers managed two goals in 41 appearances overall. Let's also remember our other 'main' attacking option is Luke Donnelly....... surely he deserves as much as a chance as Spence/ Doris?

How much of a chance should any player be given on top of what they got last year? Another 10/15 games at Championship level!?

We need a player who can play left back and left mid who will put pressure on Hammy and Linn to get the best out of them. Hammy can be a back up for centre defence so this player could slot into left back if Hammy was needed to move position.

Also need a Striker. Not sure who is available but need a really good goal poacher / target man with pace and an eye for goal.

A Centre midfielder is needed who can command the centre of the park.

I can see McKenna being used as a Striker again until we sign another striker. Even though I think he is a fantastic player he doesn't score enough. Its simple as that, we need more goals. McGuigan could be a good shout. Aside from that, I am not sure who there is but it will probably be a loan deal. As long as it is not a failing like the wee guy we got from Dumbarton a couple seasons ago. Know of any players who would be a good shout to get on loan?

Edited by superlichtie87

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup

Holy suffering f**k!

I don't like this competition, well that was until today, superb

I'm intrigued as to what you'd define as a 'chance'. Spence played 21 games last year (13 starts, 11 sub appearances) in the league and Doris got 9 starts and 11 sub appearances. I love Stevie D and think his all round game offers a lot to the team, and considering he was coming back from a long term injury mid season without doing a pre season obviously has to be taken into considering. However, facts are facts and 2 goals in 20 appearances in the league below the one we're going into is worrying, lets be honest.
Greig Spence didn't score a single goal in the league last season, despite playing 21 games overall (13 for us). He struggled at Championship level (as he has done throughout his career) and was punted by Alloa (a team we have to be looking to be better than this year) due to not being up to it for them. He then dropped down to us and in those 13 games was, frankly, abject at absolute best.
Those goalscoring records are what you expect at a team at the bottom of the division, not the top of it. Considering the amount of chances we created at times last season, it's very alarmingly to me that two strikers managed two goals in 41 appearances overall. Let's also remember our other 'main' attacking option is Luke Donnelly....... surely he deserves as much as a chance as Spence/ Doris?
How much of a chance should any player be given on top of what they got last year? Another 10/15 games at Championship level!?
With a pre season under him Spence and Doris and Donnelly might be better prepared. DC at the AGM was very positive about our squad for this season but no doubt he will add to it if needed. He has produced the goods so far and we need to support him or at least give him the benefit of the doubt to begin with.