The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Wow. He's only 37 now, hard paper round

Still the Samuel that turned up to us was a fair bit overweight and not at it. Still had that burst of speed and bit of quality though which made him useful. There was a midweek game against Forfar at Gayfield where he looked like Usain Bolt for one of his goals

Gomis a very fit player, tidy on ball, only recently let go by United. Would be interesting anyway. I wonder if Fyvie is possibly an option there was rumours of him going to Cove..

I  mind the goal you are referring to mate, My brother and me always laugh about that goal as we didn’t think he had it in him anymore and all of a sudden he was off and fast as hell, it was like somebody had dangled a KFC bucket in front of him and he was off lmfao.

I have appealed on ex-Red Lichtie Andy Cargill's behalf before and i am appealing on his behalf again but does anybody have footage or knows where to get a copy of his goal from the halfway line when he lobbed Andy Goram at Palmerston Park in the Queen of the South v Arbroath FC game in the early 2000's? He is desperate to prove he done this to his mates who do not believe him.

The former chairman JC has it on DVD. He is very happy to pass it on to Andy. Contact me or JC direct.

Gomis was a great servant for United during his first spell with the club, but he really struggled last season and was very slow - he has good ball control and distribution but now lacks speed.

Could maybe be a decent squad player - but would need to up his game to get into Arbroath's starting 11.

2 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Gomis was a great servant for United during his first spell with the club, but he really struggled last season and was very slow - he has good ball control and distribution but now lacks speed.

Could maybe be a decent squad player - but would need to up his game to get into Arbroath's starting 11.

Gomis keeps himself really fit. Doesn't drink and takes his exercise very seriously (which is a sad state that it's a redeeming feature for a professional but I'm sure you see what I'm getting at). He's trying to get in with the coaching side of things at Hearts right now and tbf to him, I think he's been really unlucky the last year or two. He's tried to maximise his earning and ended up getting shafted and having to chase clubs up for money etc, United gave him a wee deal to add a bit of squad depth but he was coming in from the cold and with their situation, they couldn't really afford to give him a run of games to get his match sharpness up.

It's always hard to tell with players like him who have relied on their pace in their youth but I don't think he'd be a disaster of a signing for you guys.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Surely Gomes could still do a job? Doubt would could match his wage demands though.

Yeah I think definitely for his presence and experience it would be a great boost even if it was only for a season, What about Fyfie too? Perhaps a double swoop?

Yeah I think definitely for his presence and experience it would be a great boost even if it was only for a season, What about Fyfie too? Perhaps a double swoop?

Fyfie is not that old, but he looks done, Gomis, really not sure about, Davidson, he can do one, not for me