The Arbroath Thread

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Need a tour. North of England would be a beaut

Somewhere in the house I have a Wroxham v Arbroath programme from a pre-season friendly in the late 1980s. Wroxham is in Norfolk! 

Arbroath chairman must have had a good night at the bingo that year....! 

Somewhere in the house I have a Wroxham v Arbroath programme from a pre-season friendly in the late 1980s. Wroxham is in Norfolk! 

Excellent. Let’s get down there again.

Knew it was coming but still a bit gutted at Pongo going. That’s not to say I think we should have kept him, just such a technically brilliant player who has provided some fantastic moments in an arbroath shirt. Have heard he is Brechin bound where I’m sure he will do well, wish him the best of luck.

Arbroath played an away friendly against first division Ipswich town in 1968. A record away distance?

Arbroath also played Ipswich at Gayfield and beat them 1-0 the goal being scored by none other than Barrie Mitchell later sold to Aberdeen for £10k a lot of money in 1968.

The team always used to always go to. England on a pre-season tour in these days and were once beating Q.P.R. 3-0 at half- time only to lose 3-5 .Also remember they went to America. when Liz McCogans brother was our captain. 

35 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Knew it was coming but still a bit gutted at Pongo going. That’s not to say I think we should have kept him, just such a technically brilliant player who has provided some fantastic moments in an arbroath shirt. Have heard he is Brechin bound where I’m sure he will do well, wish him the best of luck.

Spot on, one of the most gifted footballers i have ever seen playing for the Red Lichties, unfortunate he does not have the fitness levels for the Championship, wish Pongo all the best and i hope it is BCFC he is away too and thanks for the memories 36-0. 

I have appealed on ex-Red Lichtie Andy Cargill's behalf before and i am appealing on his behalf again but does anybody have footage or knows where to get a copy of his goal from the halfway line when he lobbed Andy Goram at Palmerston Park in the Queen of the South v Arbroath FC game in the early 2000's? He is desperate to prove he done this to his mates who do not believe him.

22 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I have appealed on ex-Red Lichtie Andy Cargill's behalf before and i am appealing on his behalf again but does anybody have footage or knows where to get a copy of his goal from the halfway line when he lobbed Andy Goram at Palmerston Park in the Queen of the South v Arbroath FC game in the early 2000's? He is desperate to prove he done this to his mates who do not believe him.

Wasn’t the highlights programme on STV for the first division at the time? 

His best bet is contacting Queen of the South or BBC or STV.

It mentions it in this report in the Scotsman. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/goram-in-over-his-head-but-lyle-saves-the-day-1-1377352

Game was QoS 2-2 Arbroath; Saturday 28th September 2002 - 17 years ago and Swankie was playing in it!

https://www.skysports.com/football/q-of-south-vs-arbroath/28683

22 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

We will have to dream of a good cup draw in the Irn-Bru Cup to Wales or Ireland.

I just can't see those days ever happening again with part-time clubs unless you have a super rich benefactor.   Part-time players aren't going to get more days off work and the club's not going to pay for coaches and hotels for 20+ people for a match they won't make any money from.   Friendlies at Gayfield bring in more money for the club to help run it and give Dick a bigger budget.

Best chance of an away fixture is if the team ever play a friendly at the end of season in Magaluf! 

8 hours ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

We will have to dream of a good cup draw in the Irn-Bru Cup to Wales or Ireland.

I just can't see those days ever happening again with part-time clubs unless you have a super rich benefactor.   Part-time players aren't going to get more days off work and the club's not going to pay for coaches and hotels for 20+ people for a match they won't make any money from.   Friendlies at Gayfield bring in more money for the club to help run it and give Dick a bigger budget.

Best chance of an away fixture is if the team ever play a friendly at the end of season in Magaluf! 

I've always thought when we play friendlies at home to u20s/ kids teams and the crowd is 300 odd, which is mostly season ticket holders, the club would really just break even. Plenty of expenses to get the majority of our players/ management through from Fife/ Edinburgh/ Glasgow, marginal gate receipts, still have a lot of the overheads a normal game has etc.

A couple of friendlies away in Perthshire/ Fife/ Edinburgh wouldn't cost us much - infact I'd be fairly certain a friendly away to someone in Lowland League/ EoS league who are Fife/ Edinburgh based would cost us less than a friendly away to Montrose, solely due to the geography and where our players are based. It'd be nice if we could play a few different friendlies instead of the same teams most years in my opinion, but it really is a very minor 'moan' as it were.

Arbroath also played Ipswich at Gayfield and beat them 1-0 the goal being scored by none other than Barrie Mitchell later sold to Aberdeen for £10k a lot of money in 1968.
The team always used to always go to. England on a pre-season tour in these days and were once beating Q.P.R. 3-0 at half- time only to lose 3-5 .Also remember they went to America. when Liz McCogans brother was our captain. 

Ok. I guess America wins as the longest trip.

I've always thought when we play friendlies at home to u20s/ kids teams and the crowd is 300 odd, which is mostly season ticket holders, the club would really just break even. Plenty of expenses to get the majority of our players/ management through from Fife/ Edinburgh/ Glasgow, marginal gate receipts, still have a lot of the overheads a normal game has etc.
A couple of friendlies away in Perthshire/ Fife/ Edinburgh wouldn't cost us much - infact I'd be fairly certain a friendly away to someone in Lowland League/ EoS league who are Fife/ Edinburgh based would cost us less than a friendly away to Montrose, solely due to the geography and where our players are based. It'd be nice if we could play a few different friendlies instead of the same teams most years in my opinion, but it really is a very minor 'moan' as it were.

Hill of Beath was a good laugh a few years back. Ended up pretty merry as well in that working mans club beside it! Let’s go there again

Main point of the friendlies is getting players ready for the season at end of day, probably why we mainly play League clubs.

11 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

11 hours ago, Mexico said:

Wasn’t the highlights programme on STV for the first division at the time? 

11 hours ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

His best bet is contacting Queen of the South or BBC or STV.

It mentions it in this report in the Scotsman. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/goram-in-over-his-head-but-lyle-saves-the-day-1-1377352

Game was QoS 2-2 Arbroath; Saturday 28th September 2002 - 17 years ago and Swankie was playing in it!

https://www.skysports.com/football/q-of-south-vs-arbroath/28683

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/280902.htm

I'm sure the Highlights were on Scotsport at the time as Mexico says. I was at the game and saw it live but I also saw the footage on tv I think. It may well have been filmed by David Gow who used to film our matches from the terrace at the time. I'm not sure if he posts on here now but he may see this.

Not to exaggerate but he was a very long way out, something like 45 yards, but he wasn't quite on "the halfway line".  Our match report above refers to him as being in the centre circle. From memory I'd have said he was slightly nearer the goal than that but I may be wrong.