The Arbroath Thread

Agree. But I get a bit concerned when a team has 2 goalies of similar standing that both of them become unsettled. This calls for some of Dick’s famous man management.

Keepers are used to it, part of being a goalie. DJ was number 2 at Hamilton before he came to us and Gaston was number 2 for second half of season at Morton. It's the Championship now we're at a higher level and the players will know that. If anything did happen to DJ and we had a shite back up we'd be in real trouble

Gaston is a GK coach at Killie as his FT job so not totally FT training but kind of. Good guy to have at club and I'm sure big Rab and DC will keep them happy and they'll both get chance to get number 1

I look at it differently, what if Gaston happens to be better than Jamieson and it actually improves the team?

Competition is needed in every position, thank god we didn't have to play Hill in any important games last year.

Simple fact is we needed competition for DJ. He will be more on his toes now knowing that he has a far better keeper than Hill to challenge him.

Can still see DJ being number 1 for the start of the season as i dont think Dick will be wanting to break up our great defence.

But things might change if DJ starts to slip up.

Anyway, now we need a defender, a central midfielder and a striker. Maybe all on loan.

Personally think Whatley, Gold, McKenna and Swankie are sufficient for centre mid. Hopefully a defender then 3 attacking / wide midfield / striker types.

The number one jersey is up for grabs, could be decided by who performs better in the diddy cup games.

Am not sure it is, think Gaston has not come here to sit on the bench, feel for DJ

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Maybe Gaston has been told he is number 2 and is happy with that? We just don’t know

I seriously doubt that as a big reason why he left Morton was to get more first team football. I don't think that means he's received a guarantee of being first choice at Arbroath though - he'll just fancy his chances of winning his place in the team over the course of the season. 

I don’t see a downside to having another strong keeper at all, if DJ is one to go in the huff then we can always get rid, I doubt that will happen, the club needs to strengthen as we move up to have a chance and it’s nice to see us doing so. 

what a statement mexico get rid dj saved us so many times last season. all players that dont start as you say go in the huff. so then we wont have any subs next season because they go in the huff lets get rid then eh

All players that don't start go into a huff?

I'd like to think Gaston would be your first choice, however I've not seen Jamieson play. Gaston is a more than competent and experienced Championship goalkeeper. He's also pulled off some of the most ridiculous saves I've seen in the flesh. If it was the likes of Allison or Ederson making them you'd be seeing them on the telly all the time.

You need two decent keepers. Unfortunately it's the only position where game time is limited if on the bench. You don't want a situation like when Gomes got injured and we had to play Hutton. Hill is now over the Hill for this level so obvious area to strengthen. Nobody is guaranteed first team football apart from our back 5 last season as we had no replacements!

Montrose twitter saying we are playing them in an away friendly on 9th July. Very minor complaint in the grand scheme of things but will we ever get a decent away friendly on a Saturday?

Need a tour. North of England would be a beaut