The Arbroath Thread

In defense of the top post, We'll be playing more games in the West of Scotland where it tends to be warmer and more humid.

Players can't run full pelt for 90 mins in these conditions, hence the pressing is not as severe, allowing us to focus on technically gifted ball players like McCord, Swankie and Donnelly rather than honest grafters like Kader, Whatley and Doris

Edited by HeraldSchumacher

In defense of the top post, We'll be playing more games in the West of Scotland where it tends to be warmer and more humid.

Players can't run full pelt for 90 mins in these conditions, hence the pressing is not as severe, allowing us to focus on technically gifted ball players like McCord, Swankie and Donnelly rather than honest grafters like Kader, Whatley and Doris

It’s the West of Scotland, not Doha. [emoji23]

10 minutes ago, HeraldSchumacher said:

Think you're getting mixed up with the West Indies.

Read the debates in regards players with undoubted talent but not as fit as others not playing at higher levels...............what a load of waffle.

There is no doubt McCord is not fit enough just now to play 90 minutes but he can see a pass or a chance that 75% at this level can only dream about, my argument was it was probably his last chance to play in the Championship and (unless he wanted to leave to play in a lower league and probably be in a starting XI)  to earn himself a contract I would have told him to get himself sorted out for pre-season and hopefully he would get himself fit to earn a new contract, if not he would have his pick of the other Angus clubs or East Fife if it never worked out.

Pirlo - not the most mobile player but his team mates done his running and he done the passing, Frank Worthington, Lex Richardson, Charlie Adam snr and jnr, Andy Ritchie the list goes on.

You can get yourself as fit as you want but when you are a gifted player with natural talent imo he is worth working on. 

Anyway he is away now so lets move on.

Read the debates in regards players with undoubted talent but not as fit as others not playing at higher levels...............what a load of waffle.
There is no doubt McCord is not fit enough just now to play 90 minutes but he can see a pass or a chance that 75% at this level can only dream about, my argument was it was probably his last chance to play in the Championship and (unless he wanted to leave to play in a lower league and probably be in a starting XI)  to earn himself a contract I would have told him to get himself sorted out for pre-season and hopefully he would get himself fit to earn a new contract, if not he would have his pick of the other Angus clubs or East Fife if it never worked out.
Pirlo - not the most mobile player but his team mates done his running and he done the passing, Frank Worthington, Lex Richardson, Charlie Adam snr and jnr, Andy Ritchie the list goes on.
You can get yourself as fit as you want but when you are a gifted player with natural talent imo he is worth working on. 
Anyway he is away now so lets move on.

The Pirlo not running thing is a myth. Yes he didn't sprint about like a madman but the distance he covered in games was still up there with the highest on the park. People said the same about Sheerin but the amount of running he done was incredible albeit very slowly

Fans of every club McCord has played for have said the same thing about his fitness and he's 30 year old, if he can't get a game in L1 why waste a wage on him the league above? Don't get it

But he's gone now and will be remembered fondly. Hat trick v Elgin I think basically won us the league

Pink said at one of the supporters nights that they have really worked hard with Ryan’s fitness but unfortunately he doesn’t seem Capable of shifting the weight. It was also mentioned that his wife is a teacher and they went away on a 2 week holiday bang in the middle of pre season which meant he missed the majority of the intense conditioning work. There’s only so many years you can accept this and as you go up the levels where it is more intense and physical he just wouldn’t cut it.

He’s been a brilliant player and will do a great job for a Montrose/Brechin. Good luck to him.

It kind of reminds me of the Hester situation where people think with their heart rather than their head. He’s hardly played this year and has to move on. The team needs to keep improving every year, not sure why some think we just re-sign players and spend part of the budget on them just because they seem to be a good guy (prunty) or are local (Hester) or scored a few goals in league 2 a few years ago (McCord) its just not how football works.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Pink said at one of the supporters nights that they have really worked hard with Ryan’s fitness but unfortunately he doesn’t seem Capable of shifting the weight. It was also mentioned that his wife is a teacher and they went away on a 2 week holiday bang in the middle of pre season which meant he missed the majority of the intense conditioning work. There’s only so many years you can accept this and as you go up the levels where it is more intense and physical he just wouldn’t cut it.

He’s been a brilliant player and will do a great job for a Montrose/Brechin. Good luck to him.

It kind of reminds me of the Hester situation where people think with their heart rather than their head. He’s hardly played this year and has to move on. The team needs to keep improving every year, not sure why some think we just re-sign players and spend part of the budget on them just because they seem to be a good guy (prunty) or are local (Hester) or scored a few goals in league 2 a few years ago (McCord) its just not how football works.

Couldn't agree more with this, spot on in my opinion.

Am I alone in being concerned that we are shedding talented forwards who can undo defences while apparently hanging on to some who can’t? With the Juniors supposedly throwing cash around could we be caught out in the transfer market?

27 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Am I alone in being concerned that we are shedding talented forwards who can undo defences while apparently hanging on to some who can’t? With the Juniors supposedly throwing cash around could we be caught out in the transfer market?

The realistic key to survival will be having 3 or 4 players chip in with goals rather than trying to get the unicorn that is a part-time 20 goal striker in the Championship.

I reckon in the last 20 years, we'd be able to count on one hand the number of part-time players who got to double figures in the Championship.

Kelty aren't juniors, they might get Austin but that's only 1 of our supposed targets

Forwards plural there? Only lost Wallace

DJ*

Thomson
ToB
Little
Hammy

McKenna*
Gold
Swankie
Linn
Kader*
Whatley**

Spence
Donnelly
Doris*

* supposedly signed
** guessing will sign

I just can't see both Donnelly and Spence being kept on.

So in terms of signings I think

1 Goalkeeper

1 Defender

2 attacking midfield / wide players

2 strikers

1 minute ago, Lichtielegend said:

The realistic key to survival will be having 3 or 4 players chip in with goals rather than trying to get the unicorn that is a part-time 20 goal striker in the Championship.

I reckon in the last 20 years, we'd be able to count on one hand the number of part-time players who got to double figures in the Championship.

Off the top of my head; Jim Lister, Bryan Prunty, Scott Agnew, Mitch Megginson, and Robert Thomson were the only guys to manage it for us - and none of them got close to 20. An 8-12 goal striker, a 6-8 goal midfielder and a 6-8 goal winger (Linn will probably get more than that, lets be honest) and you should be alright going forward. I'd imagine a loan forward would be your best option, and then maybe pick up someone let go by a full-time team for the midfield gap.