The Arbroath Thread

are you being serious 1320 surely we have to get defensive cover in

Yes If Wallace leaves which looks likely we really need to strengthen upfront and add another couple players that are similar players to Bobby, like Alloa have. Denholm is away, Kader isn't good enough to have an impact like that and we are left with zero wide pacey creative players.

Defensive cover will happen but people have said that for 3 years now and we've won 2 leagues and finished in the play offs the other year

Wouldn't want to be relying on the strikers we've got and only Omar as our other wide player going into next year

Stated before we have to be realistic this season and obviously the aim is to try and stay up, we have an excellent part-time squad albeit on the small side but we were really lucky this season with injuries and suspensions, i reckon this season coming up we will have to increase our squad size by at least 2 players, so with DD away (i think he could have been a decent squad player this season but probably not a starter) and rumors that Ryan Wallace wants to leave (a player i would like to keep)  we should sign 4 players, i would go for Dumbarton's out of contract defender Craig Barr, also a good wide player, and a couple of strikers (i have always rated Alan Trouten but cannot see that happening) so try and get Kris Doolan now he is away from Partick Thistle and McGuigan from Stenny.

We have a decent goalie, not sure what we do with a back up, keep Hilly who is happy as number 2 or go for another good keeper who would be on a decent wage?

Will state again get Doris fit and he will do a job for us, sometimes playing up a league the more "silky" player gets more time on the ball so if we can get Pongo fitter he again would be a decent squad player, even in the last game against Dumbarton he dictated play in midfield, always looking to receive the ball, pinging passes, his shot was going in for our penalty and the Sons keeper had another 2 good saves from his shots, also he is excellent at set-pieces.

We have to be realistic also we cannot have a pool of 18 players who would all demand 1st team starts every week on "higher" wages.

Last season you would say the keeper and back 4 were "certs" them maybe Swanks and Bobby and to a certain extent McKenna but after that everybody else was a squad player.   

Interesting weeks ahead.

Alloa seem to have done well with a load of loan players. Opinions?
Ideally you want to build a solid squad of players you can keep or sell long term but I've no issue with loan players if there going to improve the team.

Some of the loans we had under Moore/Lumsden were very poor but Scott Martin was excellent. Now we're in the championship there will be a decent chance of securing a couple of very decent players on loan and I'd be all for it.

I don’t want to see Wallace leave either but if he is being non-committal about wanting to play here next season I can see why we’ve emptied him in order to give ourselves the best chance of getting a good replacement.

It's a bit of an open secret that Wallace doesn't want to and has no interest in playing in the Championship, think he feels that his previous injuries prevent him from attaining the fitness levels required for that Division. I think he feels that League One is his level where he can perform well and stand out, big fish in a wee pool and all that!!!
But the only proof of this is IF we get our act together and go up next season and then he leaves!!!

It's a bit of an open secret that Wallace doesn't want to and has no interest in playing in the Championship, think he feels that his previous injuries prevent him from attaining the fitness levels required for that Division. I think he feels that League One is his level where he can perform well and stand out, big fish in a wee pool and all that!!!
But the only proof of this is IF we get our act together and go up next season and then he leaves!!!

That fits in with what I’ve heard as well. Good player, but not irreplaceable and at least we will have his wage and transfer fee to invest in a new striker.

Alloa seem to have done well with a load of loan players. Opinions?
Loan players are an absolute must in the Championship, especially for part-time clubs.

Some of our best players in our time in the Championship were loanees. Off the top of my head we were lucky enough to have Chris Kane, Danny Rodgers, Jamie Lindsay, Joe Thomson, Paul McGinn, Daniel Harvey, Sam Wardrope and Stuart Findlay who were all excellent for us. There are probably a few more I've missed out.

Don't get me wrong we had a fair few shiters as well but most of the above played a massive part in us staying up for so long.

3 hours ago, Lichtielegend said:

I think Donnelly will be tremendous in the Championship. He'll get more time on the ball.

Donnelly has already played at Championship level and was abysmal. And the idea that it somehow gets easier to play as a forward when taking the biggest step-up in level in all the Scottish leagues is just flat-out wrong.