The Arbroath Thread

Lochee United!!!
Right boys, Danny Denholm, let's hear it!!!

As said he could be a good player for u but a guy thats been very low on confidence for well over a year now, wouldn’t have minded him as a squad player but wish him all the best

Best for both the club and player that he moved on in my opinion - a good player but needed a fresh start to try and get out the rut he's currently in. If he can get back on form he'll be an asset for East Fife. I'm not worried about the impact his loss will have on our team.

What I am worried about is where our goals are going to come from this year..... Looking at Alloa last season, they've had Dario Zanatta, Connor Shields, Jack Aitchison and Alan Trouten as attacking threats, with Jordan Kirkpatrick and Kevin Cawley options as well. As things stand, I think our best striking options (assuming Wallace goes) would probably be 4th/ 5th choice at Alloa, which shows the the real lack of quality we have upfront currently. Infact one of our 'best' strikers was 4th choice at Alloa and punted to us in January due to not being good enough for them/ the Championship!

Last season, in League One, Spence got 0 goals, Donnelly got 1, Doris got 2.  That's three of our main strikers right there...... I think next year a huge amount will depend on if we can add the required quality upfront - I'm sure Dick will be trying to sign multiple strikers and I'm sure he'll manage to do so - but they absolutely have to be 2/3 levels above the two he signed in January to give us a chance of staying in the division.

Best for both the club and player that he moved on in my opinion - a good player but needed a fresh start to try and get out the rut he's currently in. If he can get back on form he'll be an asset for East Fife. I'm not worried about the impact his loss will have on our team.
What I am worried about is where our goals are going to come from this year..... Looking at Alloa last season, they've had Dario Zanatta, Connor Shields, Jack Aitchison and Alan Trouten as attacking threats, with Jordan Kirkpatrick and Kevin Cawley options as well. As things stand, I think our best striking options (assuming Wallace goes) would probably be 4th/ 5th choice at Alloa, which shows the the real lack of quality we have upfront currently. Infact one of our 'best' strikers was 4th choice at Alloa and punted to us in January due to not being good enough for them/ the Championship!
Last season, in League One, Spence got 0 goals, Donnelly got 1, Doris got 2.  That's three of our main strikers right there...... I think next year a huge amount will depend on if we can add the required quality upfront - I'm sure Dick will be trying to sign multiple strikers and I'm sure he'll manage to do so - but they absolutely have to be 2/3 levels above the two he signed in January to give us a chance of staying in the division.

Need to remember a lot of what anstriker does isn’t the goals. If Spence Donnelly and Doris pull defenders away from linn to take a shot then surely it’s a job well done? Let linn have space and he will score

5 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Need to remember a lot of what anstriker does isn’t the goals. If Spence Donnelly and Doris pull defenders away from linn to take a shot then surely it’s a job well done? Let linn have space and he will score

Completely agree - I don't think Stevie Doris will get a lot of goals if he's with us next year, but I think he'll contribute a lot in other ways and will be an asset up top. However, if we're going to be playing a 4-4-2 we can't have no strikers who score goals and just rely on Bobby Linn, who if he's with us next year will be double marked most weeks I'd expect. If Bobby contributed 10 goals next year for us next year that'd be a superb return, but we still need another 30 odd goals for a chance to stay up from other players and at the moment we're definitely short with the players we've got IMO. If we get sign a good winger and two strikers who can contribute goals wise we'll be in business as we have the spine of a good enough team in place already, it's just missing enough players to deliver the end product at the moment. Even if Wallace is at the club next year we'd still be quite short in the attacking areas and still need another good quality striker and a winger at least.

Yes but scoring does help [emoji23]

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Completely agree - I don't think Stevie Doris will get a lot of goals if he's with us next year, but I think he'll contribute a lot in other ways and will be an asset up top. However, if we're going to be playing a 4-4-2 we can't have no strikers who score goals and just rely on Bobby Linn, who if he's with us next year will be double marked most weeks I'd expect. If Bobby contributed 10 goals next year for us next year that'd be a superb return, but we still need another 30 odd goals for a chance to stay up from other players and at the moment we're definitely short with the players we've got IMO. If we get sign a good winger and two strikers who can contribute goals wise we'll be in business as we have the spine of a good enough team in place already, it's just missing enough players to deliver the end product at the moment. Even if Wallace is at the club next year we'd still be quite short in the attacking areas and still need another good quality striker and a winger at least.

The season finished a week ago so I certainly wouldn’t be panicking. Also don’t think we will be playing 4-4-2 in the championship 

41 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

The season finished a week ago so I certainly wouldn’t be panicking. Also don’t think we will be playing 4-4-2 in the championship 

As mentioned above - I'm only going on a 4-4-2 based on what Dick's said. Agree with you absolutely no need to panic, no-where close to it, I'd expect at least one of the guys we need to be on loan and therefore wouldn't happen until August anyway. Also agree I think we should be looking at 4-5-1 in at least some of our away games; in that situation if we have another winger whose contributing goals and some coming from the centre of the park a player like Doris would be a good option as a lone striker to link things up.

We didn't really play 4-4-2 this season, it was always really a 4-4-1-1