The Arbroath Thread

Why would he want to go to airdrie better staying in the championship he is far to good for league 1 he rommed it with east fife a few seasons agao ehich got his big move away. Silly to head back to them leagues.

Wants to be closer to home

I can understand maybe looking to move away, in that second half of the season (January's onward) did he fall out of favour a bit for Spence and Donnelly?
Apologies if I've misinterpreted, but with Arbroath moving up a league and probably looking to bring in attackers better than Donnelly and Spence, he might not feature in dicks plans for next year and has been told he can maybe look for another club, which he might wish to be closer to home.
As I said I have absolutely no idea though.

I can understand maybe looking to move away, in that second half of the season (January's onward) did he fall out of favour a bit for Spence and Donnelly?
Apologies if I've misinterpreted, but with Arbroath moving up a league and probably looking to bring in attackers better than Donnelly and Spence, he might not feature in dicks plans for next year and has been told he can maybe look for another club, which he might wish to be closer to home.
As I said I have absolutely no idea though.

I think he is talking about Nathan Austin mate. From Caley

On 4/30/2019 at 08:29, 36-0 Maroon said:

Hey guys what a season we have had, roll on Saturday to celebrate with all you loyal Maroons, Mon the Super Red Lichties, I know everyone is entitled to there opinion and fair play but Danny is a brilliant player who has been brilliant for us and we shouldn’t forget that, like I said and he even admits in his blogs and podcasts he is disappointed in himself this season and has put that down to lack of confidence, he has also stated the effects of negative criticism from own fans doesn’t help either in his blogs, We as fans should be fully supportive of all our players and direct all the negatives towards the opposition instead , I don’t like when our own fans are calling out or slagging off our own players, In DC we should all trust, look what it’s giving us so far, I trust him again with next seasons squad. 36-0

Spot on, we have had a GREAT season so lets celebrate with the players and staff on Saturday and see what next season brings, as i said previous i would probably keep 90% of our squad including Doris (get him fit he has the experience to do well in the Championship) and also Pongo (the boys ability is superb, was watching some of his goals 2 seasons ago for us, again lets get him fit) and i would also keep DD (we saw what he done for us in his first season he just needs his confidence back).

I like what Stewart Petrie said in yesterdays paper that regardless what league he is in next season he is keeping the vast majority of his squad as splitting it up you can lose the squad spirit which plays a major part in a winning side.

Yes bring in 2 or 3 higher class players but i think we can live with that as we have a small squad anyway, so in my view 1 or 2 players out and bring in 2 or 3 new players. 

Spot on, we have had a GREAT season so lets celebrate with the players and staff on Saturday and see what next season brings, as i said previous i would probably keep 90% of our squad including Doris (get him fit he has the experience to do well in the Championship) and also Pongo (the boys ability is superb, was watching some of his goals 2 seasons ago for us, again lets get him fit) and i would also keep DD (we saw what he done for us in his first season he just needs his confidence back).
I like what Stewart Petrie said in yesterdays paper that regardless what league he is in next season he is keeping the vast majority of his squad as splitting it up you can lose the squad spirit which plays a major part in a winning side.
Yes bring in 2 or 3 higher class players but i think we can live with that as we have a small squad anyway, so in my view 1 or 2 players out and bring in 2 or 3 new players. 

But if that comes at the detriment of the team then what's the point?

McCord could barely get a game this season when we were the best team so not sure how he's going to get fit and play in the league above when we will be one of the weakest teams. Especially the kind of player he is.

And that's fine Petrie saying that, if that happens though they'd probably do a Brechin because that squad is nowhere near good enough for the championship regardless of what team spirit they have.

I know we will be big favourites for the drop anyway but I'd rather give it a good go than get pumped every week.

Think we do have a good squad and that won't happen but you can't just keep boys on because of sentiment reasons. Not that I'm wanting McCord or anyone else to leave but the harsh reality is that when any club wins any league and go to the next level that happens, players understand that and DC will too.

We could've just kept guys like Hodge / Prunty / Jimmy Scott after we got promoted from League 2 to League 1 because they were a big part of the team spirit but we probably wouldn't have finished in the playoffs last season and we definitely wouldn't have won the league this season

1 hour ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

In my opinion that's why we've been so succesful this season-Petrie has kept together the core of the squad that was bottom of League 2 and with them he has won that league and finished in the playoffs in League 1. i agree with 1320Lichtie though, that the Championship is probably a step too far for most of the players, but if SP believes that we are where we are because of these players and they deserve the chance of playing in the Championship, then fair enough. He will need to enhance the squad with a bit more quality if we do go up, which is probably unlikely (again, only my opinion and would be happy to be proved wrong).

I think people need to bear in mind a few things here.....

1 - Budgets. Very simply, our management are given a budget for the season. We cannot keep players out of sentiment taking up a portion of that budget when we could be using it to try and compete in the division we will be in next season. We cannot afford financially to be carrying players through the season - a player who hasn't made a single league start this season could only be with the club next season if he was being paid £0 a week. It would be slightly absurd to piss a portion of our budget away on a player who will never play games for us.

2 - Squad size/ happiness. We are not going to carry a squad of over 20 players next season. Obviously budget wise we couldn't afford to do so, but also in terms of happiness this simply won't happen. You can't keep that many players happy week in week out without rotating the team and making 4/5 changes every week, which of course would be an absolute nonsense.

3 - Level of competition. The Championship will predominately be full time clubs next year. The level of fitness required, but also more importantly for me the physicality required, is a big, big jump. Players need to have multiple positive attributes to their game, rather than being mediocre at everything but very good at one thing which gets them by at part time level. A players flaws will show through so much more next year, and I have worries about 3/4 of our current strongest first 11 in making that jump, let alone our bench/ reserve players.

4 - History. Have a look at the part time teams who has successfully stayed up in the Championship after promotion from League One in the last 20 years. All of them added at least half a dozen players to their squads. What makes us think we're the exception to this rule and we only need to add a couple and we'll be totally fine?

If we let sentiment get in the way and just keep all the players we like and hope it works, we're going to get fucked next year in my opinion. We need to be realistic about what we need to do in order to be competitive, and players who have struggled in League One or not got game time at this level are going to be passengers in the Championship in my opinion.

Somehow I don’t think Dick Campbell is the type of manager to care about sentiment. I think 4 or 5 will move on and they will be replaced by players the manager thinks are of better quality. I don’t think we will be going up to make up the numbers like Brechin did, that said most would absolutely bite your hand off with finishing 9th if it was offered right now.

The other advantage we’ve had ahead of a Forfar or Montrose is that we have pretty much known since January that we would be playing in the championship giving ourselves a head start in sorting our squad out. Other teams will still have to wait another 3 weeks before knowing what league they will be in.

The one thing I fear slightly next year is the negativity from the terraces and on here, we’ve just had one of our best seasons in our history and there’s still been a lot of moaning and groaning, I dread to think what next year will be like where we will prob lose more than 50% of our games.

Bring it on, I can’t wait to go up and see us compete with the Dundee’s, Uniteds and Dunfermline etc.

I remember the DC saying after the Stirling game when we won league 2, that he wasn't looking to make up the numbers in league 1 but to get promotion. The board backed him & a number of players were brought in to strengthen the squad & we finished in the play offs followed by being top of the tree this season.

Going by the type of guy Campbell is, I'm sure he'll be doing what he can in the transfer market, with the funds available to improve the squad further(more defensive cover, please) to try to finish 8th or above & avoid any possible threat of relegation.

Hello all,

Just popping in to say congratulations on the promotion and I am looking forward to two trips to Gayfield next season.

I took in a derby vs Brechin a few years back with my old man and thoroughly enjoyed it (unfortunately the Smokies were on the wrong side of a 2-0 defeat). Have already promised my better half a day out on the cliffs and an Arbroath smokie.

Hope the heads are suitably sore.

Thank You.

Thomson, Little, TOB, Swankie and Linn in team of the year and Bobby player of the year. Well deserved.

5 in the team of the year, seems about right