The Arbroath Thread

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Swankie, Wallace and McKenna all been good. Swankie was always coming here but we signed McKenna and Wallace in January... if there contracts had run out at the end of the season then in the summer we'd have had a whole lot more competition for the 2 of them. Hardly bonkers

Also think 2 year deals are becoming way more common now

You could've signed them all on pre-contracts and had the same result without being thousands out of pocket.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

If you've money to burn then fair enough but it wouldn't be for me.  Players at this level can be brilliant at one side and hopeless at another. Given that the vast majority are on 1 year deals and available for f**k all every summer too, it's bonkers to me.

Why would it be bonkers, it happens at every level of football, if you think a player is good enough to improve your team and you meet the valuation then I don’t see the problem.

Probably based on  Stranraer releasing him a couple of seasons ago for not scoring enough in League 1,but to be fair he had an in and out season due to injuries etc.His 4 performances against the blues this season have resulted in zero goals,he scored quite a lot before the new year but hasn't been that clever recently,would take Ryan Wallace any day of the week and have watched both in a Stranraer jersey,but obviously imo

Well things change and players get better. Been a standout in the league this season and Stenny are lucky to have him.

You could've signed them all on pre-contracts and had the same result without being thousands out of pocket.

Well no because we got them in January and got 5 month worth of football out of them

I'd actually argue getting them in at that point in time is why we were so successful at the start of the season.... the team was settled and consistent. Only really added Thomson and Jamieson

This will be our biggest ever trophy win, but is it our best ever team?

Would they beat Bert Henderson’s heroes of 1971-75? Yes, I know, of course they would because they’re in their 70s. I reckon our current back 5 are up there. TOB = Tom Cargill if he can keep it up for a few hundred more matches. But in midfield there’s no one near Cant, Penman or Walker (or even Sheerin, Falkingham, Kerr) and up front only Bobby makes the grade.

Thinking of next season we need a good left sided defender, a couple of stronger midfielders, another great winger and two strikers unless Doris can get back to his pre-injury best and Spence turns into the player we thought we’d signed.

McCord has to have a good look at himself and either get really fit this summer or settle for being a big star in League 2. I think we know what he’ll do.

Most of the other lads who have been fantastic for us this season will be decent squad players in the Championship.

The team of 67/68 is surely the benchmark. Jack and Bruce in attack scoring 65 goals between them in that season. The ammo provided by Cant, Sellars and Wilkie. Kennedy in midfield and Stirling and Cargill in defence were all superb. A different style of team and no individual who I would say was technically better than Bobby Linn. The fact that the same 11 took to the field every week makes it hard to compare to our ever changing line up of late.

Seen through the eyes of a 16 year old, the team of 68 will never be bettered. That won’t diminish my admiration for the current team if we triumph on Saturday.

The team of 67/68 is surely the benchmark. Jack and Bruce in attack scoring 65 goals between them in that season. The ammo provided by Cant, Sellars and Wilkie. Kennedy in midfield and Stirling and Cargill in defence were all superb. A different style of team and no individual who I would say was technically better than Bobby Linn. The fact that the same 11 took to the field every week makes it hard to compare to our ever changing line up of late.
Seen through the eyes of a 16 year old, the team of 68 will never be bettered. That won’t diminish my admiration for the current team if we triumph on Saturday.

They were my heroes too.

Agreed .. but that team finished only runners up and was relegated after a season in the old First Division. In terms of benchmarks, maybe there’s a case for the teams of the early/mid 70s - still a few of the old guard there (Cargill, Sellars, Cant) but the likes of Payne,Pirie, Rylance(hat trick against Celtic from leftback!, Milne, Fletcher plus seasoned warriors like Marshall, Waddell, Winchester then a year or two later adding class acts like Bone, Penman, Carson. They competed at the top level for several seasons and achieved some great results.

Agreed .. but that team finished only runners up and was relegated after a season in the old First Division. In terms of benchmarks, maybe there’s a case for the teams of the early/mid 70s - still a few of the old guard there (Cargill, Sellars, Cant) but the likes of Payne,Pirie, Rylance(hat trick against Celtic from leftback!, Milne, Fletcher plus seasoned warriors like Marshall, Waddell, Winchester then a year or two later adding class acts like Bone, Penman, Carson. They competed at the top level for several seasons and achieved some great results.

My heart is with the Jack & Bruce warriors and I even enjoyed seeing them get beat every week in Division 1, but the 71-75 teams were the peak of our success (so far). Oh for a 2 leagues of 20 system so we can occasionally have a go at all the big teams.

To be honest this team have some way to go to eclipsing my memory of a great season in Division One, that’s probably due to a number of factors including my age at the time. 

Greats such as George Rowe, Jim Thompson, Craig Hinchcliffe, Jordan Tait, Colin McKinnon, Jim “Mexico” Mercer and Kevin Heenen

Greats such as George Rowe, Jim Thompson, Craig Hinchcliffe, Jordan Tait, Colin McKinnon, Jim “Mexico” Mercer and Kevin Heenen
Kevin Heenan that's a blast from the past!!!Went on holiday with him through another pal (another smokie at the time)He had just come back from his trial at Liverpool good lad so he was.