The Arbroath Thread

This will be our biggest ever trophy win, but is it our best ever team?

Would they beat Bert Henderson’s heroes of 1971-75? Yes, I know, of course they would because they’re in their 70s. I reckon our current back 5 are up there. TOB = Tom Cargill if he can keep it up for a few hundred more matches. But in midfield there’s no one near Cant, Penman or Walker (or even Sheerin, Falkingham, Kerr) and up front only Bobby makes the grade.

Thinking of next season we need a good left sided defender, a couple of stronger midfielders, another great winger and two strikers unless Doris can get back to his pre-injury best and Spence turns into the player we thought we’d signed.

McCord has to have a good look at himself and either get really fit this summer or settle for being a big star in League 2. I think we know what he’ll do.

Most of the other lads who have been fantastic for us this season will be decent squad players in the Championship.

This may cause a bit of a row, as good as Bobby has been for us, pretty much at times carrying the team on his back, Eric Sellers and Tommy Yule were excellent players and both were probably better than Sir Robert, right where is that tin hat

How many of your current squad are already signed up? I remember being quite impressed that guys like O’Brien were on 2 year deals so they must be quite settled at the club.

How much of the squad will need replacing if you want to make a real go of it next season?

TOB, Little, Hamilton, Linn, Spence, Swankie and Donnelly are all definitely signed into next season. I also believe Wallace has another year left on his deal. Not sure if McKenna is on a deal into next season, if not then he needs signed pronto. Hopefully we keep Jamieson, Thompson, Gold and Whately. I expect Kadar to be off and hopefully Denholm as well. Hill would be an ok backup GK and I’m sure he would stay if given the opportunity. Doris will be off as I would imagine McCord will be.

Hill, kadar, denholm, mccord, doris and wallace i would all say r possibilities to leave. Would like us to sign McGuigan, we should have gone for him in January instead of spence & Donnelly

He signed a new deal at Stenny a few weeks back

No way is McGuigan a Championship player:lol:

Based on?

Trouten seems to have coped fine and this season I've liked McGuigan a lot more this season than I liked Trouten last.

Hope Wallace stays but should just get this season out the road first before talking about who should or shouldn't stay. Everyone in the squad has played a part this year, our best season in forever

ETA: McGuigan won't sign so it's immaterial anyway

No way is McGuigan a Championship player:lol:

I was saying to a few mates a few weeks ago I wouldn’t mind signing McGuigan.

He’ll only have signed a new contract so Stenny get a bit of cash in the summer.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I was saying to a few mates a few weeks ago I wouldn’t mind signing McGuigan.

He’ll only have signed a new contract so Stenny get a bit of cash in the summer.

I like McGuigan too, but anyone paying hard cash in a transfer fee for him is fucking mental.

I like McGuigan too, but anyone paying hard cash in a transfer fee for him is fucking mental.

We've paid money for quite a few players the last couple of year. On the whole it's worked out really well, Donnelly transfer still a wee bit baffling at the moment though.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We've paid money for quite a few players the last couple of year. On the whole it's worked out really well, Donnelly transfer still a wee bit baffling at the moment though.

If you've money to burn then fair enough but it wouldn't be for me.  Players at this level can be brilliant at one side and hopeless at another. Given that the vast majority are on 1 year deals and available for f**k all every summer too, it's bonkers to me.

If you've money to burn then fair enough but it wouldn't be for me.  Players at this level can be brilliant at one side and hopeless at another. Given that the vast majority are on 1 year deals and available for f**k all every summer too, it's bonkers to me.

Swankie, Wallace and McKenna all been good. Swankie was always coming here but we signed McKenna and Wallace in January... if there contracts had run out at the end of the season then in the summer we'd have had a whole lot more competition for the 2 of them. Hardly bonkers

Also think 2 year deals are becoming way more common now

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Based on?

Trouten seems to have coped fine and this season I've liked McGuigan a lot more this season than I liked Trouten last.

Hope Wallace stays but should just get this season out the road first before talking about who should or shouldn't stay. Everyone in the squad has played a part this year, our best season in forever

ETA: McGuigan won't sign so it's immaterial anyway

Probably based on  Stranraer releasing him a couple of seasons ago for not scoring enough in League 1,but to be fair he had an in and out season due to injuries etc.His 4 performances against the blues this season have resulted in zero goals,he scored quite a lot before the new year but hasn't been that clever recently,would take Ryan Wallace any day of the week and have watched both in a Stranraer jersey,but obviously imo