The Arbroath Thread

Why was Wallace subbed first.? He was playing really well while Stevie D Was looking more like he needed to come off. Wallace ad McKenna was working well earlier this season .
I think his daft booking in the first half may have played a part. There was a couple of times where he was close to giving a foul away chasing down the ball.

I think his daft booking in the first half may have played a part. There was a couple of times where he was close to giving a foul away chasing down the ball.

Both he and McKenna put in high energy performances. By getting between the defenders and the ball they caused all sorts of problems. On another day it would have been enough for the points.

I was also surprised at Dick’s comments on time wasting. I can’t say I noticed that.

A very frustrated man in that interview. I’ve seen a lot of ridiculous time wasting from teams this season but yesterday wasn’t one of them and i dont agree that forfar were playing for a draw either. As soon as linn doris and wallace came off we had nothing really

47 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

A very frustrated man in that interview. I’ve seen a lot of ridiculous time wasting from teams this season but yesterday wasn’t one of them and i dont agree that forfar were playing for a draw either. As soon as linn doris and wallace came off we had nothing really

Dick mentioned time wasting at Stranraer as well, Arbroath never do it:whistle wait till he plays Montrose he'll take a fit.

I think his team is nervous because he’s shitting it! I don’t know why. Arbroath WILL win the league. No question.

Can’t really see where the next win is coming from tbh. The only player who looks capable of scoring is bobby and he could potentially be out for the season.

Can’t really see where the next win is coming from tbh. The only player who looks capable of scoring is bobby and he could potentially be out for the season.
If you recall the start to the second half. Doris header just past. Whately shot just past. Boabskin free kick hits the keeper and rebounds back out. McKenna shot just past. We made some really good chances but didn't put them away. On another day we win that 3 or 4-2. Saturday is a big game, win and we are nearly there. Let's do it. Lichties

At the end of the day, we left Gayfield 10 points behind and im sure everyone at Arbroath would have gladly accepted that to still be the case at this stage. Essentially, the predicted sticky spell has happened in the second half of the season and you are no worse off. 

If you recall the start to the second half. Doris header just past. Whately shot just past. Boabskin free kick hits the keeper and rebounds back out. McKenna shot just past. We made some really good chances but didn't put them away. On another day we win that 3 or 4-2. Saturday is a big game, win and we are nearly there. Let's do it. Lichties

Wouldn’t really call them chances, Doris does very well to get his header anywhere near the target, Whatley’s is a shot from outside the box which happened to be close but still isn’t a chance you’d expect him to score, if he blazes it well over the bar you wouldn’t be mentioning it and bobby’s free kick isn’t what you’d call a chance either, if it goes in then it’s a very good goal but wouldn’t class it as a chance even tho by bobby’s standards it probably is. Overall we had a couple of chances, a few half chances and a few final passes which weren’t quite right which probably could’ve led to goals, agree on another day we could’ve won the game tho.

I would have every faith in us to win 2/3 of our last 5 games if we played our strongest team on the pitch, and left them alone to play the full game. However, based on the past 8/10 weeks, I have no faith in us to play the correct team and even if we do I have no faith in us not to piss about with it and make subs that change the game  to our detriment. This being the case I'm becoming more and more worried as the weeks go on in all honesty. We are joint bottom of the form table for the division right now.

The most frustrating part of the above is that I feel there were loads of positives from the game against Forfar, but the majority of them revolved around us starting our best two striking options upfront and I simply don't trust Dick to do the right thing and play Doris/ Wallace together every week from here on in. For the first 70 minutes, I felt Saturday was the most dangerous we've looked in a game since Stenhousemuir away right back in January and I feel if we hadn't made the daft subs we did we'd have got a point at least out of the game. 

This tough spell might actually benefit Arbroath long term. They are still going to win the league comfortably but the recent struggles will have shone a light on the deficiencies in the team and squad ahead of next season.

If they had continued their early season form Dick might have thought less changes were required in the summer. However, he’ll be under no illusions now and will have plenty time to bring in what is needed to make you competitive in the Championship.

This tough spell might actually benefit Arbroath long term. They are still going to win the league comfortably but the recent struggles will have shone a light on the deficiencies in the team and squad ahead of next season.
If they had continued their early season form Dick might have thought less changes were required in the summer. However, he’ll be under no illusions now and will have plenty time to bring in what is needed to make you competitive in the Championship.

I like your optimism but i feel like all momentum going into the championship will be lost as things stand

I know it’s all a bit doom and gloom lads but let’s remember we could win the league on Saturday. It’s s bit of a long shot but there is still a possibility

There’s two things fundamentally wrong with this sentiment.

First, there’s not even a bit of doom and gloom - or shouldn’t be. Saturday’s result was disappointing and to lose a late goal always a bit of a kick in the teeth but the team played reasonably well, good attitude and application so the performance deserved more. Have we become so spoiled this season that we can’t take a setback?

Second, looking a bit too far ahead at precisely the wrong time. Tougher game this Saturday than usual, and none are easy. So, like management and players from whom the message has been consistent, maybe the fans need to focus entirely on the immediate task in hand. And perhaps offer a bit more vocal encouragement.

Let’s just get a grip here and enjoy the derby without looking beyond that. Plenty of time later for anything else. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

No team have taken advantage of our blip and like a previous post said we would always have a sticky spell, injuries, loss of form, poor selections have all contributed to this.

Everytime a real question has been asked of this team they have came up with an answer. Raith away and then Airdire at home were games that if we’d lost we would’ve faced a potential title race. Same applies to this week, hope the players find a way to grind out 3 points and that will see us just about there.