The Arbroath Thread

gutted that saturdays game will be my last this season. due to work commitments going to foreign shores for 6-9 months. going to miss the banter disagreements with fellow lichties. totally confident that we will get promoted and hopefully can pick up bbc alba to watch the raith game.

3 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

The week before Stenny vs Airdrie is on at 5.15 on the Saturday, why couldn’t they have put our game at the same time?Must be something good on BBC Alba emoji849.pngemoji849.png

Said the same earlier, wouldn’t of minded that at all and wouldn’t ruin hospitality 

Did the club get a choice in this decision or are we being controlled by the gaelic speaking community(hope theres subtitles)

Pretty sure Alba paid x amount and have their choice over what games they want on, SPFL has no choice nevermind us

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Don't think so, think Alba paid a pretty small sum to the league and its included within league payments

Could be wrong though but when I've heard Championship club fans moan about it sure that's what gets said

99% sure this is correct - the TV money made from the deal is split between all clubs in the lower divisions and Alba get to pick X amount of games per season (I can't remember how many they have rights for). It's a shitter for us, especially as it'll cost us money due to smaller attendance/  hospitality takings, but every club knows there is potential for this to happen at the outset and unfortunately we're the club that it affects this time.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I quite like spending time with my family

Am sure they wouldn't mind it's only one Easter sunday, in 12 months time an other one rocks up

It's been a week of mourning for Arbroath as they remained 12 points clear of full time Raith Rovers. It's time to raise a smile and try and support the team in their hour of desperate need.

My thoughts are with you this weekend my precious ones.

Although it's pretty churlish to complain about Arbroath's season given how supremely well the team have played over the first three-quarters of the season, I can understand why supporters might have concerns about their recent form.

They've taken on two of the poorest sides in the division in Dumbarton and Stenhousemuir and been comfortably turned over in both fixtures, without scoring a goal. If they lose to East Fife on Saturday and Raith Rovers beat Forfar Athletic, the gap between the sides becomes nine points, something that doesn't look as insurmountable as a single-digit figure.

Of course, any time Arbroath have slipped up, so too have the Rovers, and they cannot be counted on to put together a convincing series of results. But with standards at Arbroath having been so high for the best part of the season, this recent dip is a little worrisome.

Our form true hasn't been the greatest, but I think to say Dumbarton and Stenhousemuir are two of the poorest sides is really unfair to both sides.  

Whilst ultimately your league position is what you are judged on, Dumbarton, Forfar and Stenny are the three form teams in the league. 

Dumbarton have 14 points out of their last 18 and Stenhousemuir have only suffered one defeat since their cup match against Aberdeen, which was to Forfar who are also on an incredible run of form.    Stenhousemuir were only a whisker away from matching Dumbarton's points form until East Fife scored in the 93rd minute.  

We had our first real injury crisis against Dumbarton with only 2 defenders fit and last week if Bobby had scored his penalty then it would have been a different game, but these things work themselves out over the season.

We do need a win but with every single team playing for something in this league there is not one easy game.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Although it's pretty churlish to complain about Arbroath's season given how supremely well the team have played over the first three-quarters of the season, I can understand why supporters might have concerns about their recent form.

They've taken on two of the poorest sides in the division in Dumbarton and Stenhousemuir and been comfortably turned over in both fixtures, without scoring a goal. If they lose to East Fife on Saturday and Raith Rovers beat Forfar Athletic, the gap between the sides becomes nine points, something that doesn't look as insurmountable as a single-digit figure.

Of course, any time Arbroath have slipped up, so too have the Rovers, and they cannot be counted on to put together a convincing series of results. But with standards at Arbroath having been so high for the best part of the season, this recent dip is a little worrisome.

Since Xmas we have been unsettled by a combination of injuries, suspensions and the attempts to accommodate new signings. Both Dumbarton and Stenny are bang in form and would test any team in the league. It could also be argued they had more to play for.
Today’s match will surely be a fairer test of our championship potential.