The Arbroath Thread

Tbf it's no Hester's fault people seem to love the fact he's a local laddie.

Guy showed a lot of promise and in another time when our team wasn't as good as it is just now he would've been playing a lot more regularly. Good luck to him at Elgin he will do well.

On the face of it though it's Hester and Smith out, being replaced by Donnelly and Spence. Think that's pretty good to be honest.

Ryan Wallace
Greig Spence
Like Donnelly
Steven Doris

As your 4 striking options is as good as you'll get, that's not even counting Mikey McKenna who can play upfront.

Been looking forward to the Facebook comments on Kane's departure announcement on Facebook for months now to be honest. :lol: It also really confuses me when people favour Kane as he's a local laddie etc....... he lives in Montrose and moved there from Swansea :blink: The same people would profess to hate Montrose etc. as they're our main rivals :lol:

Kane is obviously a really nice guy and everyone would have loved him to be a success at the club, but ultimately he isn't good enough for the level we're at. Players like Ryan Wallace, Greig Spence, Steven Doris etc. are several levels above him and he'd struggle to get in any team in League 1, let alone our team right now. If we were in the piss poor state we were in 3 years ago in League 2 then I'd be calling for him to be given a run in the team myself, but we're miles above where we were then.

I wish him all the best at Elgin, a great guy with a great attitude who I believe can develop into a player who can do a job around the bottom tier of the SPFL. Hopefully at Elgin he can get some proper game time, develop as a player and prove himself.

Now he's left the club I'm happy mentioning that on Saturday just after Wallace's 2nd goal Kane was warming up and asked about the finish, (did he dink it or place it as he couldn't see from the sideline) and after being told he dinked it replied 'Nice.......that keepers fuckin shite though, eh?!' with a big grin on his face. :D

Been looking forward to the Facebook comments on Kane's departure announcement on Facebook for months now to be honest. :lol: It also really confuses me when people favour Kane as he's a local laddie etc....... he lives in Montrose and moved there from Swansea :blink: The same people would profess to hate Montrose etc. as they're our main rivals :lol:
Kane is obviously a really nice guy and everyone would have loved him to be a success at the club, but ultimately he isn't good enough for the level we're at. Players like Ryan Wallace, Greig Spence, Steven Doris etc. are several levels above him and he'd struggle to get in any team in League 1, let alone our team right now. If we were in the piss poor state we were in 3 years ago in League 2 then I'd be calling for him to be given a run in the team myself, but we're miles above where we were then.
I wish him all the best at Elgin, a great guy with a great attitude who I believe can develop into a player who can do a job around the bottom tier of the SPFL. Hopefully at Elgin he can get some proper game time, develop as a player and prove himself.
Now he's left the club I'm happy mentioning that on Saturday just after Wallace's 2nd goal Kane was warming up and asked about the finish, (did he dink it or place it as he couldn't see from the sideline) and after being told he dinked it replied 'Nice.......that keepers fuckin shite though, eh?!' with a big grin on his face. [emoji3]

The curse word must have been down to his Tourette’s

13 hours ago, scillybirder said:

Hope things work for Kane. I do believe he is a player and leaves with much of the home support still backing him. He also leaves with one of the best goals per minute of any Lichtie ever.

Spot on that man

Kane Hester is our most "natural" goalscorer and as has been said i think you will find it hard to come up with another AFC player to beat his goals per minute ratio, the only problem was he seemed to be your perfect sub striker and his "not so good games" seemed to be when he started them (and that is not having a go at him) but it is a fact, but at his age sitting on the bench every week was not good for him and the quality type forwards we have it was always going to be hard for Kane to get a start.

I would have preferred the club putting him out on loan to Elgin City to the end of the season as i do think he will get better and would have been good to have had an option to keep him or sell him next season after him having a run of games at a decent level.

All the best to him though as he is a decent lad with a great attitude and i am glad he is not in the same league as us.   

Greig Spence

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce the signing of prolific striker Greig Spence.

Greig moves to Gayfield from Alloa Athletic and the 26 year-old has agreed a 18 month contract.

Greig has been involved in football from a very young age and played for the Rangers Youth Team before moving to Alloa Athletic where he broke into the first team at the age of 16. 

A move to Celtic in 2009 for a six figure fee was disrupted by injury before a move to Hamilton Academical on loan allowed Greig to get back on the goal trail and first team action.

After leaving Celtic in 2012 Greig has enjoyed 2 spells with Raith Rovers, a prolific season with Cowdenbeath and another 3 spells with Alloa Athletic.

In total Greig has scored 106 goals in 303 appearances and we look forward to him adding to his tally at Gayfield!

Come along to Saturday’s friendly at Gayfield against a Celtic XI which is now free entry to all to see Greig make his Arbroath debut.

Welcome Greig!

Greig Spence-sm.jpg