The Arbroath Thread

Andy Ryan would be a great signing, miles better than somebody like Spence who has also been mentioned.

Wont be Andy Ryan I don't think... Spence has scored over 100 career goals at 26, cant be many strikers who have done that. Mcallister is only one I can think of off the top of my head, think he's on 150 odd but he's 32 too.

28 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Wont be Andy Ryan I don't think... Spence has scored over 100 career goals at 26, cant be many strikers who have done that. Mcallister is only one I can think of off the top of my head, think he's on 150 odd but he's 32 too.

There was a time in his first spell where Spence looked like he could develop into a very good Championship/lower level Premier League striker. Pretty sure it was just after Brian Graham left us. 

Unfortunately, he went backwards from that point and never developed the way we’d all hoped. When we got him back last year I thought with the goals scored elsewhere we’d be getting an improved more mature player. Despite a drop in division from his last spell, all the same flaws were still there.

Wouldn’t take him back at the Rovers and he’s clearly not good enough for the Championship. However, as you say his record with part time teams in this league is good so he’s probably worth a punt. In his defence, it can’t have been much fun playing as a striker in our team last year.

Edited by R.R.FC

There was a time in his first spell where Spence looked like he could develop into a very good Championship/lower level Premier League striker. Pretty sure it was just after Brian Graham left us. 
Unfortunately, he went backwards from that point and never developed the way we’d all hoped. When we got him back last year I thought with the goals scored elsewhere we’d be getting an improved more mature player. Despite a drop in division from his last spell, all the same flaws were still there.
Wouldn’t take him back at the Rovers and he’s clearly not good enough for the Championship. However, as you say his record with part time teams in this league is good so he’s probably worth a punt. In his defence, it can’t have been much fun playing as a striker in our team last year.

Heard all this when linked with him at start of the season, also got told Thomson was done and he's been amazing.

That’s Callum Smith away back to Dunfermline. Don’t think he had the chance to properly prove himself but when he did he was poor

Correct decision IMO. He showed nothing in the opportunities he was given. He is probably happy to be away as well

1 hour ago, smokie29 said:

That’s Callum Smith away back to Dunfermline. Don’t think he had the chance to properly prove himself but when he did he was poor

Shame to hear this. He made a huge impact at 16/17 year old for us at the start of last season. Sounds like he going backwards in his development since he's been given a couple loan moves.

Let's move on from all the transfer chat and get down to the nitty gritty. Are we going to have a vegan sausage roll option at Gayfield?

If we do, I might have to ask myself, is Gayfield the kind of place I wish to frequent

Evening Tele today said that we are after a striker and a defender, but will probably not be announced till next week.

Definitely the two priority areas. Once suspensions kick in and possible injury one more good quality defender is essential. But even though our current bunch are fairly versatile, anyone joining also needs to be able to fit in anywhere along the back line.

The striker is maybe a bit more of an optional item but, even during games, the opportunity to change things around a bit off the bench might be welcome, especially since Smith is gone

I'll bring my boots on Saturday just in case I'm needed.

Well funny you should say that, I cleaned mine, not saying there old, but does anyone know where I can get screw in studs

Agree a good defender and another striker if we are signing 2 players.

We have a great squad but on the small side if anything, the only problem is trying to get top notch players who are not guaranteed a starting place.

At the moment i would say Jamieson, Thomson, TOB, Little,  Hammy, Swanks, McKenna and Linn are probably guaranteed starters with Gold, Whatley, Kader, Wallace and Doris fighting out the other 3 starting positions and McCord and Denholm waiting to get their chance, with Hill the sub keeper and Hester filling the subs bench and Smith now away back to the Pars we really do not have a big squad but 95% of the squad would start for most teams in this league.

I thought McCord was excellent when he came on last week, controlling the ball and trying to keep the ball on the deck and passing to feet, same with Denholm we know what he can do, he has not became a bad player overnight but like McCord and Whatley at the moment when he gets his chance he has to take it.

My only worry is if we get hit with injuries and suspensions (which is going to happen) we might struggle if we do not bolster the squad, imaging if TOB/Little/Swanks/McKenna were all out at the same time we would have to put 2 midfielders into the defence.

The AFC Board have been great and DC usually comes  up trumps with his signings so should be an interesting couple of days coming up.