The Arbroath Thread

When did the reserve games get moved to a Monday nights, I remember reserve games were reverse fixtures of the first team games, played on a Saturday afternoons
I'm not sure. All I remember was that it was regional and for some reason I think we played some players from the local junior sides ASC and Vics from time to time although that may be inaccurate!

7 hours ago, Hammerafc said:
9 hours ago, ecto said:

When did the reserve games get moved to a Monday nights, I remember reserve games were reverse fixtures of the first team games, played on a Saturday afternoons

I'm not sure. All I remember was that it was regional and for some reason I think we played some players from the local junior sides ASC and Vics from time to time although that may be inaccurate!

I remember in the early 70's when we were in the top division playing against your opposition on a Saturday afternoon in the reserve fixture like the O/F and Edinburgh teams and the Dundee teams and Aberdeen etc with big crowds then it changed to the East of Scotland League in the mid 70's and 80's on a Monday night then in the late 80's/90's it changed to a Tayside Reserve League including friendlies against local junior clubs and that is where we signed players like Davie Burnside from a Perth junior team (i think Jeanfield Swifts) and Grant Dewar and Davie Scott from Forfar West End and a few from the Vics and the ASC etc, i also remember sitting in the stand and the cushions were kept in a box beside the doors at the top of the stand. 

13 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Before the emergence of floodlights it was really the only option from september till april each year

According to various club histories, our original lights were installed in 1955/56.

However, when Aberdeen upgraded their lights in 1970, we acquired their old set. I believe that the 6 remaing floodlight pylons (not the one on the stand) were installed at that time. Obviously the lights themselves have been upgraded on many occasions since. 

According to various club histories, our original lights were installed in 1955/56.

However, when Aberdeen upgraded their lights in 1970, we acquired their old set. I believe that the 6 remaing floodlight pylons (not the one on the stand) were installed at that time. Obviously the lights themselves have been upgraded on many occasions since. 

I remember when the 1970 floodlights were installed. Didn’t we have a friendly (or Forfarshire Cup?) match against Dundee United to inaugurate them?

Talking of floodlights, is the small floodlight at the Harbour End of the ground lighting the grassed area outside the ground ever in use. The team used to train here midweek but since they’ve move to Perth, I assume no need now?

As a kid, I occasionally spent a few minutes watching them train, also their warmup sessions on Sat mornings behind the Seaforth Hotel

Talking of floodlights, is the small floodlight at the Harbour End of the ground lighting the grassed area outside the ground ever in use. The team used to train here midweek but since they’ve move to Perth, I assume no need now?

As a kid, I occasionally spent a few minutes watching them train, also their warmup sessions on Sat mornings behind the Seaforth Hotel

Aye saw them on last week

I was speaking to your former player Finn Graham this week about his move to Kelty Hearts. How'd it not work out with you guys? Was it just too many good options ahead of him?

He seemed to do really well at Brechin and had a lot of potential when he was with Dunfermline as a youngster, but was let go when AJ originally joined. 

He praises your manager a lot for helping him secure his release early - I think that says a lot about your club and the people running it. 

All the Best for the rest of the season. :)

I was speaking to your former player Finn Graham this week about his move to Kelty Hearts. How'd it not work out with you guys? Was it just too many good options ahead of him?
He seemed to do really well at Brechin and had a lot of potential when he was with Dunfermline as a youngster, but was let go when AJ originally joined. 
He praises your manager a lot for helping him secure his release early - I think that says a lot about your club and the people running it. 
All the Best for the rest of the season. [emoji4]

To be honest he was poor. I liked the signing when we made it but he showed nothing and deservedly didn’t get in our side. He played the cup game against Edinburgh and was the worst player on the park.

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

To be honest he was poor. I liked the signing when we made it but he showed nothing and deservedly didn’t get in our side. He played the cup game against Edinburgh and was the worst player on the park.

Thanks for that. Sounds like the right decision for both parties to mutually part ways, then. 

He was saying you guys have a few injuries at the moment so it says a lot about the squad you've got in place and the strength available to the management team, if you can afford to let a squad player leave when you're already short on bodies. 

How's Callum Smith getting on?

Thanks for that. Sounds like the right decision for both parties to mutually part ways, then. 
He was saying you guys have a few injuries at the moment so it says a lot about the squad you've got in place and the strength available to the management team, if you can afford to let a squad player leave when you're already short on bodies. 
How's Callum Smith getting on?

He was about 5th choice CM so he was just taking up a wage.
Smith has been out since October with a broken wrist. Didn’t impress me in his time on the park and I feel we have better options up front and on the wing. I’m not sure if his loan will be extended or not

Just the quality of the other central midfielders we have in that same position meant he is behind Mark Whatley and David Gold in terms of being our battling midfielder and then for our creative midfielder it would be Gavin Swankie or Ryan McCord.

Everyone who played in the Edinburgh City match had a stinker but he came on as a substitute in our opening game of the season against Montrose and his introduction changed the pace of the game.  He won a penalty for us minutes after coming on then chipped in with an assist for our 3rd goal.  The form of everyone else has meant that he was down the pecking order for league games.

I'm sure he will do for Kelty from now until the end of the season.

30 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

All the Best for the rest of the season. :)

Edited by Smokie_Bacon_crisps