The Arbroath Thread

The Stranraer reply if we needed one will probably be the following Saturday meaning a postponement of the Forfar game

We have Stenny at home before Forfar.

If we see off Stranraer I’d like the easiest draw possible. A Rangers or Celtic would obviously be great for the coffers but I really just want to take the league campaign one game at a time, and perhaps having a game like that on the horizon wouldn’t help.

We have Stenny at home before Forfar.

If we see off Stranraer I’d like the easiest draw possible. A Rangers or Celtic would obviously be great for the coffers but I really just want to take the league campaign one game at a time, and perhaps having a game like that on the horizon wouldn’t help.

As much as I despise the ugly sisters, the only real money in our game is, getting a tie against them and the sky money that may go with it

it wasn’t the fact that we paid money for swanks it was the gentleman’s agreement that pissed of a lot of lichtie fans

I didn’t like the ‘agreement’ at all, just so happened we got away with it. There were some gripes aboot the £8k, some boy on here added on the VAT to illustrate his point

There was a lack of clarity around this which was a shame. A rare misjudgement so I wouldn’t be too tough on anyone.

We were told at a Q&A in December with Pink that if fit Gav would play against Forfar. That wasn’t a lack of clarity, it was dishonesty

Must be our best start to a league campaign in history this?

Update to a post I did a couple of weeks ago.
As far as I can see our previous best unbeaten start to a season was 1989/90 when we went 9 games unbeaten from the start. So we’ve destroyed that.
Our best run in the league without defeat is 15 games. We did that in 2000/01.
We also went 15 games without defeat in 1952/53 then lost 7 of our next 8 games!

In 1967/68 we won 9 games in a row and had the equivalent of 41 pts from the first 17 games.

As stated above, my main issue surrounding Gav's signing was the lying to the fans about the agreement with Forfar about him not playing against them that season. That was, and still is, unacceptable in my opinion. Ultimately the club basically tried to deny/ ignore/ deflect from the deal we had done, and I have no idea why we do so. We were still denying it/ claiming Gav would play v Forfar if fit months after it was common knowledge what the deal was, and at that point it became utterly bizarre. I can only think the club felt the fans would be pissed off with the agreement initially so mislead us, but then once it was found out they lied about it and denied it's existence which was ridiculous and very ill judged in my opinion. We should have been upfront about it right from the start and announced the signing properly, stating the terms of the agreement with Forfar and this whole thing wouldn't have been an issue. I'd like to think and hope the club have learnt from this fiasco and this sort of nonsense wouldn't happen again.

I did think it was an average at best signing and wasn't overly happy with it at the time. Gav's performances in the first few months definitely justified some criticism, but in the bigger picture he was obviously lacking match fitness after his pre season training with the Vics and not playing games, and Dick playing him on the wing certainly didn't help as he's never been a winger in his life. While in the first full season he was fairly average, it's safe to say in the calendar year 2018 he has been absolutely sensational. His performances are some of the best I've seen from him in his entire career, and certainly people like myself with lingering doubts over his ability to fit into the team have been shut up completely.

When he signed I was worried about his attitude and where he would fit into the team. As far as I can see/ am aware, his attitude has been absolutely spot on since he came back to the club, and after the first year of not entirely fitting into any one position, he's now one of our most important players running the show in central midfield. We all know he's a naturally talented football player and I don't think anyone has ever doubted that, but his work rate, desire, attitude, application etc. are all things that have been questioned in the past and I'm more than happy to have had any moans/ worries about him shut down by his performances this year. :)

It's not Gav Swankie's fault we paid a fee for him. It's not his fault the 'gentleman's agreement' was handled so badly by the club. It's not his fault he was lacking match fitness when he arrived at the club, and I'm fairly certain it wouldn't have been his idea to be played as a winger for a period of time in his first few months at the club. All of these things were factors as to why people were at points a bit pissed off, but none of them were things Gav could do anything about. The things he has been able to influence longer term he has had an excellent impact on, and he's now one of our most important players every single week.

Edited by SimonLichtie

Understand the irk about IC saying what he did but ultimately I'm not sure as to whether it was his place to comment.... as I had heard that Dick had come very close to just scrapping it a few times. As it is I think he took some kind of guilty pleasure from buying Gav away... and then horsing them 10-1 over 4 wins in 4 different games with Gav not even stripped.

We have absolutely blown away our fellow Angus clubs since DC has been here and the above is taking the piss even more. Personally a big fan of it

It had absolutely no relevance whatsoever as we beat them without Gavin. We ballsed it up a bit from a PR point of view, with Dick, pink and the board saying different things so they maybe should’ve got their house in order but is this really still getting brought up??flying high at the top of the league with Gavin being our top performer. It’s happy days. 

It had absolutely no relevance whatsoever as we beat them without Gavin. We ballsed it up a bit from a PR point of view, with Dick, pink and the board saying different things so they maybe should’ve got their house in order but is this really still getting brought up??flying high at the top of the league with Gavin being our top performer. It’s happy days. 
Some people just ain't happy unless they have something to whinge about. Happy days indeed.

4 hours ago, keptie said:
6 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Some people just ain't happy unless they have something to whinge about. Happy days indeed.

Are you saying that you can overlook and simply dismiss these things because the results on the pitch are good?

Edited by HeraldSchumacher