The Arbroath Thread

Both awards thoroughly deserved [emoji4]
Look forward to still hearing someone call Wallace a useless c**t and demand the introduction of Kane 10 minutes into the game tomorrow [emoji3]

Surprised if Wallace starts tomorrow......the useless diving c**t

We made hard work of that. Annan must recruit their players from the Land of the Giants, but we stuck to our tactics of high balls into a defence that were much bigger than any Lichtie player, bypassing our midfield where McCord used the ball well when he had the chance.

But the problem with playing three at the back was obvious with huge gaps in the defence that better opposition would have taken advantage of.

I keep hoping for more from Hester and would really like him do well, but he looked a little out of his depth at times today. However a win is a win, without putting our strongest team on the park. Just hope we get a Scottish team in the next round.

Absolutely miles ahead of Annan, Agree they just play for set pieces, they all scream in unison for any sort of contact, 

McCord was superb in middle of park and playing in a 3 suits him better, Little and ToB cruised it and McKenna done his usual, everyone comfortably getting pass marks apart from Hester, nothing worked for him today,  Agree everyone wants to see him do well but When Doris is fit l fully expect him to be loaned out.

o

9 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

Hester was okay, not great but a few moves he started and came good second half, get off his back, young laddie, he cost the club not much, Dick loves him, trying to get the best out of him, he will come good.

The thing is, I don't feel like anyone is on his back whatsoever. Kane had a poor game yesterday, over the piece I'm fairly certain the vast majority agree on that. Every player has poor games, Ryan Wallace won player of the month for August but had a poorish game last week, Bobby Linn had several absolute stinkers last season, ToB had a shocker away to Alloa last year in the cup. It happens.

I like Kane, I feel there is a place for him in our squad but I've seen every single minute he's played for us this season, 4 starts and 5 sub appearances, and in every game he's started I don't feel he has offered close to what Mikey McKenna and Ryan Wallace offer us up top. Has Kane improved in the last 12 months? Absolutely without a doubt; which is exactly why he's had more game time this season, and we're only 2 months into it, than he had in any previous seasons despite them being at a lower level. He has proved he is able to learn and improve, and I agree there's a good chance he can continue to do so.

However, our aim for the season as a football club is to win this division. To do that, we need to play our best team, play to our strengths and try to win 3 points every week. Mikey McKenna and Ryan Wallace are quite clearly far superior football players at this time, and therefore in the league if they are fully fit both of them will always, quite rightly, start ahead of Kane. Is Kane Hester a top end League 1 player? No chance. Three years ago when we were bottom end League 2 if Kane had been at the level he is now he could well have been a regularish starter in that team, but we're at a level way above that now.

Finally I feel that as Kane is 23 years old now, he's not a kid anymore. Callum Smith is 18 years old, he's a young laddie. 23 is mid 20s for me. He's a man playing a man's game; it's almost condescending that a lot of people still refer to him as a kid..... he's older than a lot of players at this level, and I feel he should be treated accordingly. Finn Graham is 22 years old but I haven't seen any of our fans ever refer to him as a young guy who should get his chance, still learning etc. where as you hear and see it with Kane every week.

Thought Pongo had a very decent game yesterday. His vision and passing make such a difference, really think Wallace would profit from having McCord supplying him. Rather than having to chase punts into the channel, McCord could actually supply balls which allow Wallace to play between the posts.

Thought Pongo had a very decent game yesterday. His vision and passing make such a difference, really think Wallace would profit from having McCord supplying him. Rather than having to chase punts into the channel, McCord could actually supply balls which allow Wallace to play between the posts.

Problem is unless you play a 3 in midfield you have to pick between Swankie and Pongo imo. It's not a bad problem to have though as both are quality players.

Eta If you look at the 6 replacements yesterday most of them could argue for a starting place. Also Doris on the bench.