The Arbroath Thread

Great to watch tonight, I’m still buzzing

Everyone played their part and to think our best two players didn’t feature at all is very pleasing. McKenna was absolutely different class and I think we are seeing a huge improvement with Kane, his pace, his finishing and his all round confidence is there to see. 

Great game, some terrific performances, wouldn't like to pick a man of the match but McKenna was super and Little immense at the back, but the whole team were great tonight.

Worried a little when they scored but once McKenna equalised from the penalty we never gave up and got the result we deserved. And what about Hester's goal, running at and past the defence and thumping it past Fox, looking forward to seeing it on the highlights.

Ross County put out a strong team but they will have to do much better than they did tonight if they want to get back into the Premier league. They resorted to the physical tactics that teams with little class do when things go against them, and ended up with a red card that effectively ended any chance they had of getting back into the game.

What a great result for you guys well done .

If you want to see the other end of the scale cry up too The Glebe we are fucking awful . Absolutely nothing to offer . I'm dreading the derbies now . Good to see Kane Hester scoring a few I know him he's a good lad . 

What a great result for you guys well done .
If you want to see the other end of the scale cry up too The Glebe we are fucking awful . Absolutely nothing to offer . I'm dreading the derbies now . Good to see Kane Hester scoring a few I know him he's a good lad . 

Difficult tonight for you boys playing a decent championship side and being down to 10. Both United and County were rotten.

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Difficult tonight for you boys playing a decent championship side and being down to 10. Both United and County were rotten.

Could ve been 8 or 9 down at halftime the defending s comical as you ll see if the highlights are shown . 

Sending off was horrendous desicion  but had no impact on the score we were always losing heavily. 

At least with Dick in charge you ve always got a chance of winning no matter the opposition . Good old fashioned manager he has his moments but good times outweigh the bad times usually . 

I think that’s probably our best all round performance of the calendar year; we were absolutely superb at times all over the park. Both McKenna and Wallace were outstanding upfront, and Kane also excellent when he came on. The running McKenna puts in is incredible at times, and the hold-up play from Wallace was superb all night; he was very unlucky not to get a goal himself and added two assists from set pieces as well as winning the penalty and hitting the outside of the post. I’d hope anyone watching last night can see just how much he can offer us. They’re beginning to form a really good partnership, and with Kane coming off the bench and getting goals we’re looking good with Doris to also come back and potentially a loan signing also. I totally agree with Dick post match that we can’t send Kane out on loan now, he’s played his way into contention and when he comes off the bench against a tired defence he has shown he certainly can do damage.

One small disappointment was the ridiculous dive from Mikey McKenna – we all know if Ryan Wallace did that he’d have been absolutely slaughtered so I assume all the fans who would abuse Wallace for that will be doing the same with McKenna; surely no-one would have double standards when it comes to our players, right?! :rolleyes: Kane also had a fairly horrific dive at Alloa, so lets not give one of our strikers shit for something that all 3 of them have done, and McKenna/ Kane’s diving efforts have been this season, where as Wallace has been staying on his feet far more this campaign so far. Hopefully that puts that side of things to bed, as anyone blaming Wallace for diving but ignore McKenna/ Kane doing it would look rather silly in my opinion….

We’re definitely in a far better position squad wise than we were this time last year, and after strengthening in January we’ve strengthened again this pre-season. Jason Thomson and Darren Jamieson both look excellent additions to me. As others have said, it speaks volumes that we can put in that kind of performance while ToB is in the stand and Bobby Linn is on the bench.

Finally a big shout out to Dick who never fails to amaze/ amuse, with his post-match interview starting with him making the point that the Alloa game last week wasn’t a 4-1 game and he didn’t think last night was a 4-1 game either with both being closer than the scoreline suggested. I totally agree; I felt the Alloa game was more of a 4-2……. :D Hopefully we continue our good form and can match Inverness when we play them in the league in a few weeks time ;)

Great performance from the team. I am always looking at where we can improve though.

Denholm seems to be a weak player when positioned in the left wing back position but when changed to a 4-4-2 he plays better as a winger. I hope he keeps improving as I still to not think he has gotten back to his best since his injury.

Wallace was better tonight but he really needs to improve on his set pieces. He either crosses it too short or too far but blames other players for not getting into the positions where eh puts the ball. If he improves there and cuts out his falling about and constant moaning at the refs then his overall game will improve I hope.

There were not really any other weaknesses which is superb. Hopefully we will continue this form into the league.

53 minutes ago, superlichtie87 said:

Great performance from the team. I am always looking at where we can improve though.

Denholm seems to be a weak player when positioned in the left wing back position but when changed to a 4-4-2 he plays better as a winger. I hope he keeps improving as I still to not think he has gotten back to his best since his injury.

Wallace was better tonight but he really needs to improve on his set pieces. He either crosses it too short or too far but blames other players for not getting into the positions where eh puts the ball. If he improves there and cuts out his falling about and constant moaning at the refs then his overall game will improve I hope.

There were not really any other weaknesses which is superb. Hopefully we will continue this form into the league.

Totally agree regarding Denholm being a winger not a wing back. He's said the same himself. Considering he's been fully fit for the last 7 months, I think his dip in form is mainly down to our formation change and decision to play him as a wing back which really negates his game.

In terms of Wallace set pieces - we scored two goals from them last night!  Everyone entitled to their opinion obviously, but of all the games to moan about his set pieces, the day after we've got 2 goals off them is probably not the best time for it!!

I do however totally agree with always looking at where we can improve, it's exactly how I view it also. If you stand still, other teams will improve and jump above you. Even when you're putting in good performances, winning games etc. you need to be looking at how to improve things. People may view it as negative though ;)

Edited by SimonLichtie

I think there's quite a contrast between Wallace's inswingers compared to his outswingers, when he's on inswingers his delivery is generally excellent whereas his outswingers are more hit and miss. Look much more of a set peice threat this season, 4 corners goal in 2 games.

Wallace corner for the third one virtually got the goal, the second one was actually a bit of a duff unless he was going for Denholm at front post. Same with Hamilton’s goal on Saturday, that just needed the tiniest of touches thanks to a well worked corner.

Think the some are too long and some are too short applies to every corner taker in football.

I would like a left footer inswinger and a right footer inswinger on corners though. Wallace one side and DD other side for me.

Got McKenna, Thomson, Little, Hammy, ToB to hit in there now. Decent

Wallace corner for the third one virtually got the goal, the second one was actually a bit of a duff unless he was going for Denholm at front post. Same with Hamilton’s goal on Saturday, that just needed the tiniest of touches thanks to a well worked corner.

Think the some are too long and some are too short applies to every corner taker in football.

I would like a left footer inswinger and a right footer inswinger on corners though. Wallace one side and DD other side for me.

Got McKenna, Thomson, Little, Hammy, ToB to hit in there now. Decent

Penalties and corners. We’ve turned into England.

Wallace was superb last night, scored 2 goals from his corners against a full time team, his delivery is fantastic for this level of football, 

I get the feeling opposing teams will hate playing against him, he looks like an absolute pain in ass to play against, if we get behind him and he gets a bit of confidence I full expect him to get 15+ goals this season, 

Hopefully we start the season 4-4-2, seems to be working well at minute, however that leaves McCord Swankie Whatley Graham and Gold all fighting for 2 positions and you could probably add McKenna into that when Doris returns, 

Hopefully a winger and striker on loan and perhaps a left sided defender and we will be strong with lots of options

Wallace was superb last night, scored 2 goals from his corners against a full time team, his delivery is fantastic for this level of football, 
I get the feeling opposing teams will hate playing against him, he looks like an absolute pain in ass to play against, if we get behind him and he gets a bit of confidence I full expect him to get 15+ goals this season, 
Hopefully we start the season 4-4-2, seems to be working well at minute, however that leaves McCord Swankie Whatley Graham and Gold all fighting for 2 positions and you could probably add McKenna into that when Doris returns, 
Hopefully a winger and striker on loan and perhaps a left sided defender and we will be strong with lots of options

Pain in the arse just watching him at times too, you can see the niggly wee foul or the backing into boys from a mile away, sometimes all you can do as a wee guy getting smashed by big centre half’s, gets away with it and wins free kicks then it’s all good for us and part of the game, see Stevie Naismith. [emoji6]