The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

What a difference hospitality makes to the 50 50 draw. Only £71 last night

Said the crowd was only 600odd, that can’t have helped, although I thought there looked more.

Also big shout out to our head stewerd coming into the male toilets and demanding to search peoples pockets for alcohol, seems an odd choice off places for patting another male down, 

13 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Said the crowd was only 600odd, that can’t have helped, although I thought there looked more.

Also big shout out to our head stewerd coming into the male toilets and demanding to search peoples pockets for alcohol, seems an odd choice off places for patting another male down, 

I was in the toilet at the time and I heard the steward saying that to an Arbroath fan. I thought it was strange at the time.

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

I was in the toilet at the time and I heard the steward saying that to an Arbroath fan. I thought it was strange at the time.

Yeh very weird, Do it at the gate if you got suspicions, don’t come into the gents and start rubbish like that, 

Was just thinking what a great squad we have at the club, has to be up there if not better than Sheerin's league winning squad, i like the look of McKenna and the lad Martin from Hibs is a great player, to think that one of the best players i have seen at Gayfield in years Pongo McCord is struggling to get in the starting XI just shows you the quality of player we have at the club.

Well done the Management team and the AFC Board in doing this.

1 hour ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Was just thinking what a great squad we have at the club, has to be up there if not better than Sheerin's league winning squad, i like the look of McKenna and the lad Martin from Hibs is a great player, to think that one of the best players i have seen at Gayfield in years Pongo McCord is struggling to get in the starting XI just shows you the quality of player we have at the club.

Well done the Management team and the AFC Board in doing this.

Yes I agree we have a good squad and yes I would like to see McCord playing but I do think Sheerins squad was better . Only a bad refereeing decision at Dumbarton stopped us going further in the play-offs and Dumbarton are still in the championship to this day.

Yes I agree we have a good squad and yes I would like to see McCord playing but I do think Sheerins squad was better . Only a bad refereeing decision at Dumbarton stopped us going further in the play-offs and Dumbarton are still in the championship to this day.

There weren’t any full time teams in the division then though were there? Certainly not any teams as good as Raith or Ayr in the division. I think this squad is much better, standout players in the last squad really helped us (Falkingham/Sheerin/Swanks/Doris) push on but the squad and squad filler not as strong as now in my opinion.

The comparison between Paul Sheerin and Dick Campbell's squad is unfair in a sense..... Both have assembled very good 11s and our squad now is probably slightly better in terms of positional cover than the gaffer's was, but if you were Robin Hood you'd only ever be taking from Dick's squad and putting into his Paul Sheerin's, or any of the other managers teams we've had over the years.

I think as mentioned above Paul Sheerin's team had 3/4 (including himself) players who were absolutely superb, proper football players who had it where as Dick has a squad of a dozen or so who are all at a similar high-ish end level for this division but  slightly below the technical ability Sheerin and a couple of our team that year had. Both teams have some very good players in them and made the seasons we had/ have watching them very enjoyable usually. They both have exciting, creative players and when allowed to play really make the entrance fee worthwhile.

17 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

That’s been a great 7 days for us. 3 games in horrendous conditions and we take 7 points from a possible 9. 10 points clear now of 5th as well

Completely agree with this; performance against Albion was distinctly average in easier conditions than the other two but we got the job done professionally (can't turn in superb performances week in week out, will simply never happen) and the performances against Forfar and Ayr were both excellent considering the conditions.

Hopefully we can get some decent weather to allow us to to play a bit more football over the next few weeks, very little entertainment value at all on Saturday but difficult conditions,  3 games in a week and as I said above simple fact at our level a team will never put in high level performances every week.

Check out McCords goals per games record, absolute superb return for a midfielder, 23 goals in 53 games (8 sub). 

If i was told you could only keep 11 of the current squad Pongo would be in my 11, he is one player i would persevere with to try and get fitter, he is a total class player and a total different type of midfielder than the others we have at  the club.

Unfortunately come July there's more chance of me being a tee-total, non smoking fitness fanatic than there is Pongo being part of our squad. [emoji20]

I see quite a few changes if we get promoted but less if we stay in league one. Sadly Pongo likely to go either way unless he has a change of heart/stomach.