The Arbroath Thread

Being selected is the highlight of my playing career. I'll need someone else to take the goal kicks however as I'm unlikely to clear the penalty area. I'm sure this will be okay.

We want to play it short and keep the ball on the ground. It's all about good possession football for us

I'm overweight, slow and useless and could grow a pretty convincing handlebar moustache before the game kicks off. On these grounds alone, I think I've got a pretty convincing case to fill the CF role if we go for a traditional 2-3-5 formation.

Excellent - it's good to have different types of players/ options to come off the bench.

#thearbroathway

If last season is anything to go by, I'd hope we avoid playing #thearbroathway as the aim is to win. I have decided we shall allow you to play a role for us, as if/ when things go wrong we will be able to blame it on yourself, a Montrose fan, and avoid taking any sort of blame ourselves.

The Arbroath way I take about is 2 up front and at least one out and out winger giving proper width and not having to worry about defending cause the full back behind him isn't really that great.

The Arbroath way is to get the ball down and try and play football and out score the visitors to Gayfield.

I'll just leave these here, just incase anyone is unsure of what #thearbroathway actually is.

Having thought about it - I think we should abandon my 4-6-0 idea and go with the classic 4-4-2 (or 4-3-2 with Lichtie78 doing the David Gold in the middle of the park) and install RobertoLichtie as our visionary gaffer to get us playing #thearbroathway.

Boy I know Josh Thomson is training with you lot, was just released from cowden. Centre back, not the tallest but fucking rapid. Seen him in Mcdees with his Arbroath gear on

Got wads of boys at training I've heard. Sunday's friendly will be interesting.

T-zero, on 27 Jun 2016 - 01:04, said:

Slagging you for asking a question? Get a grip

The intent behind the question , is what has lead me to believe your question is more than an honest enquiry , just an attempt  to get a reaction ?   I have never questioned the SHITE  YOU POST  ,

The intent behind the question , is what has lead me to believe your question is more than an honest enquiry , just an attempt to get a reaction ? I have never questioned the SHITE YOU POST ,

It's worked then hasn't it, stop bubbling get over it! Wasn't ment to cause a mental breakdown 😂

We still need another 4/5 players to have a proper squad; a GK, DC, DR, DL, winger and SC all being positions we're got no depth in. I'd expect we'll sign two more defenders with one of them being able to cover the left sided full back position also.

Over the past month, we've missed out on a quite a number signings who've chosen to go to other clubs, and after some initial very promising activity everything has calmed right down. It has been mentioned that there are a good few players training with the club currently, but anyone training as opposed to sign at this time is very likely going to be squad filler as opposed to a first team regular.

While there is still plenty of time to get the squad together, most teams in the division have caught up/ past us in terms of squad numbers and a good few of them have added some quality (at this level) in the past month. Considering the players we've been going for, there must be a decent amount left on the budget and I do think/ hope we'll get in 1/2 more quality players and the rest will be filler whether that be through trialists or loan players in a month or two.

We still need another 4/5 players to have a proper squad; a GK, DC, DR, DL, winger and SC all being positions we're got no depth in. I'd expect we'll sign two more defenders with one of them being able to cover the left sided full back position also.

Over the past month, we've missed out on a quite a number signings who've chosen to go to other clubs, and after some initial very promising activity everything has calmed right down. It has been mentioned that there are a good few players training with the club currently, but anyone training as opposed to sign at this time is very likely going to be squad filler as opposed to a first team regular.

While there is still plenty of time to get the squad together, most teams in the division have caught up/ past us in terms of squad numbers and a good few of them have added some quality (at this level) in the past month. Considering the players we've been going for, there must be a decent amount left on the budget and I do think/ hope we'll get in 1/2 more quality players and the rest will be filler whether that be through trialists or loan players in a month or two.

If we had got McGurn/Woods and Hill I think we'd be looking absolutely fantastic. But like you say everything's calmed down a bit now. The good thing about all this is DC seems to try and get the best he can.

Still a lot of players out there. I hope we can as you say get another 2/3 good players in and then maybe fill the rest up with squad filler types.

Hopefully we get a few gems through loans too.

Some fixture updates;

BetFred Cup Round 1 - Will now take place on Saturday 30th July with a 3pm kick off, and the Irn Bru Cup Round 1 will take place on Tuesday 2nd August with a 7.4pm kick off.

Betfred Cup - Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Arbroath - Saturday 30th July - 3pm

Irn Bru Cup - Inverness Caledonian Thistle U20s vs Arbroath - Tuesday 2nd August - 7.45pm

Edited by Gayfield

I would imagine the players that have been on trial during pre season, they will need to have a look at them in a game situation before offering them a deal unless they showed up unbelievably well in training. Should get more news next week.

Betfred Cup & Friendly prices

Tickets for the Betfred Cup match v Dundee United on Friday the 15th of July will go on sale later this week from Gayfield.

Prices are £15 adults, £10 concessions and £5 for under 12s.

Season ticket holders and shareholders will have preferential rights to buy on Thursday and Friday from 9.30am until 1pm and the remaining tickets will then go on sale prior to the Motherwell friendly on Sunday and then on weekday mornings from 9.30am to 1pm. Please note that only tickets for the Arbroath support will be available from Gayfield. 

Admission prices for the preseason friendlies will be as follows;

Sunday July 3rd v Motherwell, 3pm, £10 adult, £5 concessions, £12 adult + child

Tuesday July 5th v Turriff United, 7.45pm, £6 adult, £3 child, £8 adult + child

Saturday 9th July v Raith Rovers, 2pm, £8 adult, £4 concessions, £10 adult + child

Saturday 23rd July v Aberdeen, 3pm, £10 adult, £5 concessions, £12 adult + child.

Season Tickets are vaild for all friendly matches.

The Hospitality Lounge will open as a bar prior to the match against Motherwell from 2pm on Sunday, from 6.30pm prior to the match against Turriff United on Tuesday and from 1pm next Saturday prior to the match against Raith Rovers.