The Arbroath Thread

Wonder how long the job is for.

Be until at least 2017 I'd imagine if Iain is coming in too?

I'm over the moon with that, sort of feels the same as when Scotland punted Levein for Gordon Strachan! :lol:

An experienced guy that's been successful at this level finally taking over!! Obviously the 1st aim is to stay up, then i think we could have an interesting summer ahead. :)

Be until at least 2017 I'd imagine if Iain is coming in too?

I'm over the moon with that, sort of feels the same as when Scotland punted Levein for Gordon Strachan! :lol:

An experienced guy that's been successful at this level finally taking over!! Obviously the 1st aim is to stay up, then i think we could have an interesting summer ahead. :)

He will hopefully see that an U19/20 is the first thing he should get the board setting up then sign a few more local guys from Angus, Dundee, Perth and fife for next season.

He will hopefully see that an U19/20 is the first thing he should get the board setting up then sign a few more local guys from Angus, Dundee, Perth and fife for next season.

No chance he'll do the former, every chance he'll do the latter (but as his entourage).

Was probably inevitable that Bunnet would take the first Angus job, glad it wasn't us.

Probably gets you safe, however it will be f**k-ugly football of the highest order.

Roll on the derby....

No chance he'll do the former, every chance he'll do the latter (but as his entourage).

That'll be up to the club more than him, he's first team manager. Forfars youth set up was/is superb and he has been there for 7 years so...

Aye hopefully that includes Foxy/Travis/Nicoll. ;)

Probably gets you safe, however it will be f**k-ugly football of the highest order.

As opposed to Montroses and other teams free flowing Samba football? :lol:

I have never thought that, the only reason people have said that about his teams is because they're usually solid and hard to beat so when you're on the opposition you notice that more.

I'm sure Forfar fans wouldn't have been complaining when he has got them up/into playoffs etc. With boys like Kader/Denholm/Swankie and Hilson taking teams apart.

Was probably inevitable that Bunnet would take the first Angus job, glad it wasn't us.

Roll on the derby....

Aye Montrose FC know all about f**k-ugly football, it has been your standard for 20 years+ now...

Roll on the derby indeed...

Edited by lichtie36nilhello

That'll be up to the club more than him, he's first team manager. Forfars youth set up was/is superb and he has been there for 7 years so...

Forfar's development team is indeed of a very high order - had nothing to do with Cambell though. Not particularly a criticism of him though, as you say he'll be in at Arbroath to keep the first team up then advance them.

As for style of play, was a mixed bag, sometimes it was brutal other times was very good (when playing with wingers) it was usually, until this season, pretty effective whichever.

Forfar's development team is indeed of a very high order - had nothing to do with Cambell though. Not particularly a criticism of him though, as you say he'll be in at Arbroath to keep the first team up then advance them.

As for style of play, was a mixed bag, sometimes it was brutal other times was very good (when playing with wingers) it was usually, until this season, pretty effective whichever.

I know that Dick was the guy who got rid of the Brechin youth sides. Don't think he is a fan of clubs having youth teams

This is literally the last thing Dick Campbell would ever do.

I am happy with the appointment, as things stand it is the correct thing to do out of the options available to us. If we had sacked Todd/ Hissy at the end of the season, I think the chances of us appointing Dick would have been absolutely zero.

Personally, I am not a fan of Dick or Ian Campbell for a variety of reasons. However, I believe they will keep us up this season, and I would expect them to have us challenging at the right end next season. They will also be able to attract better players to the club, and I would expect them to be far more enticing than Todd and Hissy were.

As opposed to Montroses and other teams free flowing Samba football? :lol:

I have never thought that, the only reason people have said that about his teams is because they're usually solid and hard to beat so when you're on the opposition you notice that more.

I'm sure Forfar fans wouldn't have been complaining when he has got them up/into playoffs etc. With boys like Kader/Denholm/Swankie and Hilson taking teams apart.

Couldn't help myself ;)

We've been frustrating to watch at times this year but usually go down swinging, and I'd much rather watch that than send a team out 4-5-1 praying for a 0-0 in Methill, anyroad. It's a philosophical argument, probably with no right answer, but hey that's what forums are for....

Bunnet-ball will be effective enough in this league (sadly ;))

Edited by Scorge

Couldn't help myself ;)

We've been frustrating to watch at times this year but usually go down swinging, and I'd much rather watch that than send a team out 4-5-1 praying for a 0-0 in Methill, anyroad. It's a philosophical argument, probably with no right answer, but hey that's what forums are for....

Bunnet-ball will be effective enough in this league (sadly ;))

Have you ever seen one of his teams? Like I've said they are solid but they always have exciting players going forward in them!! Pace out wide and a striking duo up top. The fact he's capable of setting up in such a way from time to time to get results is a plus. On the whole though it's no different from any other team, total myth like the Forfar fan on here has said!

http://m.arbroathherald.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dick-campbell-thrilled-to-take-manager-s-post-at-arbroath-1-4052048

What Dick has to say^^^

Have you ever seen one of his teams? Like I've said they are solid but they always have exciting players going forward in them!! Pace out wide and a striking duo up top. The fact he's capable of setting up in such a way from time to time to get results is a plus. On the whole though it's no different from any other team, total myth like the Forfar fan on here has said!

http://m.arbroathherald.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dick-campbell-thrilled-to-take-manager-s-post-at-arbroath-1-4052048

What Dick has to say^^^

Campbell is a very good appointment for you guys . This season was pretty much the only total disaster I can remember him having for us . It was an enjoyable 6 years with him in charge but it was time for him to go. Some of the football we played at home last season was brilliant but on the other hand some of it was pure guff . Expect a few Forfar players to be heading gayfield way .

This is the correct appointment for Arbroath at this stage. Dick took over us at an almost identical state to what Arbroath seem to be in. He will stabilise the team and keep you safe and although there are no guarantees he should get you promotion next year, the main reason down to attracting players. He gets the best out of players and also seems to be well liked (e.g., the mass exodus when he left)

His team last season was the best brand of football I had seen in over 40 years from a Forfar side, pace out wide, a solid back 4 and keeper and two front men playing up front, no strange formations or negative football, just what needed to be done at part time level in Scottish football. He also managed to attract some good experienced pro's, Derek Lilley, Marc Mcculloch, Andy Tod, Stevie Crawford, Darren Dods, Rab Douglas who all played their part on the pitch but would also be good guys in the dressing room.

Also brought in some decent players from the lower leagues, Kader and Denholm being good examples.

The youth set up we have is refreshing and he gave some chances to 3 or 4 players but whilst some of our fans were strangely upset at this I think clubs like us and Arbroath in an ideal world would love to have a bunch of local lads coming through the ranks into the first team, but its a model that takes a lot of money and time.

I felt his only negatives were he would sometimes tinker with the team unnecessarily, I turned up at Station Park sometimes to see 4 or 5 changes in the team and couldn't see why certain players were left out. On the flip side there were some players he just wouldn't drop no matter how poor they were.

All in all, a safe appointment, put it this way you could've been stuck with Gary Bollan.