The Arbroath Thread

Who was in charge when we won our 1st ever championship? Oh yes...Paul Sheerin. Not done badly with Aberdeen u-20's.

Nah he done a shite job, shite manager for us, got us relegated... Then left to take a full time job on a much bigger wage with one of the biggest clubs in the country, awful. Edited by 1320Lichtie

Sheerin's final season was a disaster. With the squad we had there was no way we should have been relegated. That's all down to him. And then he jumped ship.

How can't you see the difference between having a bad season and doing great work overall for the club, like I said? Are you deliberately being obtuse? The fans had seen what Sheerin could do, yes we were poor that season but I'll take that one poor season after 3 great ones including our first ever league win and those 2 great games against Celtic. Everyone was behind him and trusted him to take us forward. He had a squad full of players that were our own, there wasn't near enough 8/9 loan signings coming in each season. That's a totally different situation to the one we've found ourselves in in the last 2 year. Edited by 1320Lichtie

We would've been playing highland league if he stayed on. Lol. You say he jumped ship 23, but you obviously wouldn't have wanted him to stay on by the sound of it.

I'm not saying I wasn't a great admirer of Paul and I'm obviously grateful he was able to deliver our 1st championship but I feel if he had left during the season we would have had a better chance of staying up. The board backed him and he left for an under 20s job. I felt that was a kick in the teeth to the support.

I would imagine most lichties would love to see the free flowing attacking football we got under Sheerin than this turgid trash we are subjected to now. I was disappointed as any lichtie when he left but the opportunity to be involved full time with Aberdeen was a route most part time managers would take .

What's this about hislop not taking criticism well??? I no for a fact he has messaged someone over private mail when he posted a comment about tactics and went on to blame linn and Ramsey for not sticking to instructions,

Always got an excuse, other week the boys has Watson on there mind, then yesterday was a fluke goal, time for them to come out and admit the mistakes they have made and signings that haven't worked and no doubt at a cost

Hay Grehan Coult Victoria Clarke all signed and where are they now?

Wilson Shouldn't be near starting in any defensive position

Loan signings after loan signings not good enough, Ramsey just and Watson makinf pass marks

I think the board do a decent job for the club and at end of day if they didn't do it who would, but it was a mistake giving a 2 year deal and not 1 fan could come out and say it was the right choice at start of season and even the ones who were willing to give him a chance have seen enough

Let's be honest, nobody would like to read criticism about themselves, but when you're in football, and you're in a job where the fans are paying your wages, then you've got to know that they're allowed to have opinions on things.

As long as it's in regards to the football and isn't personal stuff!!!

If he can't take it then he should stop reading social media and forums, messaging people and having a go at them when he's an assistant manager of a senior football club is totally ridiculous.

Especially on game day, when it's an hour and a half away from kick off!! Last thing anyone needs when things are the way they are is the assistant manager getting annoyed at you because you've dared to criticise him.

Unless I'm missing someone, would I be right in saying our second and third top goalscorers (including cup games) are Martin Grehan and Andy Ryan?squad is just so unbalanced and despite Greg being a decent player he doesn't score nearly enough for my liking (3? Since he signed in October).

Sheerin's final season was a disaster. With the squad we had there was no way we should have been relegated. That's all down to him. And then he jumped ship.

Sheerin didnt jump ship. He had preseason planned. Had signed a few players and had lined up a few more. Even had an interview with the papers on the wednesday.

Then out of the blue Aberdeen asked him to take over the u20 team and be part of the coaching team.

Lets remember this is a FULL TIME club that he had played a number of years with, and it was on offer too good to turn down. Its not like he left us in the lurch with no signings to join a rival.

Sheerin didnt jump ship. He had preseason planned. Had signed a few players and had lined up a few more. Even had an interview with the papers on the wednesday.

Then out of the blue Aberdeen asked him to take over the u20 team and be part of the coaching team.

Lets remember this is a FULL TIME club that he had played a number of years with, and it was on offer too good to turn down. Its not like he left us in the lurch with no signings to join a rival.

you are correct, the pre season was all planned.

Murray

McManus

Little

Linn

Nicholl

Whatley

Travis

Lindsay

Morrison

IIRC, that was before we played Aberdeen, who were playing us as preparation for there first Euro qualifying round in early July! Moore had 5 weeks atleast to build on that solid base of players.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Thank God someone has the true story of Paul Sheerins departure on here RedLichtie86. Paul had signed Murray from the juniors who was an outstanding success for us , just as is Whatley is still in my opinion, and I still feel his best position is at right back. People have a very short memory that's for sure, but again I suppose that's football for you, as they say , " your only as good as your last game". The PS & SP seasons ( excluding the last half of our relegation season) produced some of the most exciting and attacking football that I've seen since the mid 70's with; Bone, Penman, Fletcher, Sellars , Yule, PIrie etc etc. The match where it all suddenly clicked at home to Montrose in The New Year game will live long in my memory as we played them off the park and they couldn't touch the ball for the last 30 minutes.

If the comments I read above are correct then there is a serious issue as I am sure that the Arbroath Board would not condone such behaviour, and they too have always acted I a very professional manner and shown respect to our managers/players of the past . Basic managerial experience tells you that you should ;

Never respond to comments on social media - ever

Never discipline a player in public ( let alone on the pitch) - ever

Never publicly name/shame a player in the media - ever

Never blame things you have no control over like; fluke goals, weather conditions, player mistakes, red cards, etc ( you may feel there these had a major impact in a result, however let others voice it)

Time for these two people who in my opinion ( and that's only my opinion) to respect Arbroath FC and resign. I was dubious about the appointment in the first place, even if the calibre of applications was poor, as he was part of the management team that ultimately decided to try to manage by fear. There is no doubt that he is a very different and more analytical character than Allan Moore was , and fans made reference to Moore having a foul mouthed argument with our Captain NIcoll from the touch line. I believe that Ramsay became involved in back chat to the bench a few weeks ago , and this should/would also have to dealt with in the dressing room and not pitch side.

We need a change and now when someone has 10 games in charge and not at the end of March ( just because perhaps East Stirling may be cut adrift). If we are not careful it will be us who are cut adrift and panic will set in for the last 5 games. We are a great club run by fantastic people who give their time and devote themselves to making sure that the club are in the right place in future years, please let this not be in the HIghland League.

Edited by dubai lichtie

Hadn't really realised this until I seen it tiday but if Clyde win tonight then we are 10 adrift of the playoffs and 8 clear of the bottom... Surely that would realistically be season over? Can't see us clawing back so many points.

Eta: it's tomorrow night actually

Edited by 1320Lichtie