Cuppa or Cuppy

longjohn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mum says "cuppy", but she's from Dundee.Is "cuppa" not just an English thing?

Quite commonly used in the Borders I've found. My family say 'brew', but with my Scottish accent I can't quite pull it off.

I use the word 'steep' to refer to the time when the tea bag is in the cup. Initially thought that was the universal term but when I went to Uni nobody knew what I meant so I started to think I made it up. Turns out my girlfriend's family use it too so I'm guessing it's a regional thing.

I'm thinking it's not 'cuppy' but a 'cup ae', slang of 'cup of' of course. No-one, literally no-one, in their right mind would call it a cuppy.

The correct answer's a 'cup of tea' though. What do I win?

Edit- here's another one up for debate: Rapist or raper?

(the correct answer is rapist, but my friend from Perth says raper and I can't help but laugh)

I'm thinking it's not 'cuppy' but a 'cup ae', slang of 'cup of' of course. No-one, literally no-one, in their right mind would call it a cuppy.

The correct answer's a 'cup of tea' though. What do I win?

Edit- here's another one up for debate: Rapist or raper?

(the correct answer is rapist, but my friend from Perth says raper and I can't help but laugh)

Cup eh tea eh?

I use the word 'steep' to refer to the time when the tea bag is in the cup. Initially thought that was the universal term but when I went to Uni nobody knew what I meant so I started to think I made it up. Turns out my girlfriend's family use it too so I'm guessing it's a regional thing.

. My gran used to let the tea mast or mast the pot and growing up in Dundee a cuppy was an ice cream cone.

I use the word 'steep' to refer to the time when the tea bag is in the cup.

Steep to me is when you can't be f***ed scrubbing a pan after dinner and it makes a convenient excuse to fill it with water and just put it off until the next day (or the day after that :ph34r:)

Eta: I can see the similarities though and I may adopt it for teabags now.

Steep to me is when you can't be f***ed scrubbing a pan after dinner and it makes a convenient excuse to fill it with water and just put it off until the next day (or the day after that :ph34r:)

Eta: I can see the similarities though and I may adopt it for teabags now.

Steep or steeping is an early part of the process of producing malted barley for beer or whisky.

World Cup is the game with only one keeper and every man for themselves.

Two teck is a similar game with one keeper yet many teams of two players shooting in to one goal, neither are called cuppy.

Nobody has ever called an ice cream a cuppy.

Cuppy is the correct term for a mug of tea.

"A coffee" is a mug of coffee.

Dundee rools ya bas.

This. C***$ who call it eggy bread don't deserve to eat French Toast. And it's a cup eh tea.

You might have missed the red-hot debate on this topic, but I refer the honorable gentleman to exhibit 9 here:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/208435-lets-settle-this-for-good/

:lol::lol::lol:

You might have missed the red-hot debate on this topic, but I refer the honorable gentleman to exhibit 9 here:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/208435-lets-settle-this-for-good/

:lol::lol::lol:

just read that for the first time there. Glad that most posters are right thinking French Toast eaters, but half of the E*** B**** posters had to be at the wind up surely. Never thought that what people called a certain food would aggravate me so much, but it really does boil my pish when you hear them call it "that". Calling a piece a sandwich is forgivable in time, as is calling square sausage sliced sausage, but anyone who calls French Toast E*** B**** deserves to catch salmonella. C****

Navy types also go for a 'wet' which can be tea or coffee, 'NATO standard' is 2 sugars, 'Julie Andrews' is white nun (none) and a 'whoopi' is black nun.

I know a couple of ex-matelots who both use brew rather than wet.

Archived