Euro 2016 qualifiers

Mr Bairn

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A rugby playing country's footballing side puts Scotland's talent to shame. Let's face it we are pish and will be for years!

Not quite. They have been exceptionally lucky to have two great players and a decent side. Wales have always produced top talent, John Toshask, Ian Rush, Neville Southall, Ryan Giggs. Even 'lesser' players like Craig Bellamy, John Hartson, Mark Hughes, Dean Saunders and Gary Speed were all exceptionally talented and would have walked into most Scotland sides of their respective eras.

The difference always has been and to an extent still is, that huge gap in quality between the very top players in their squad and the rest.

Scotland at least have always had players of similar quality in our squads through the decades and that's why we've been at more championships in our history than the Welsh.

Wales have possibly the 3rd best player in the world, another very good midfielder, and 9 players who are generally at the level of Scotland or Ireland (better defenders than us though). They seem very well organised these days too which obviously makes a huge difference.

There have been plenty of international sides in the past who have had one outstanding player, but in terms of that one player single-handedly earning them results and points I can't remember another like Wales with Bale at the moment.

Wales have possibly the 3rd best player in the world, another very good midfielder, and 9 players who are generally at the level of Scotland or Ireland (better defenders than us though). They seem very well organised these days too which obviously makes a huge difference.

There have been plenty of international sides in the past who have had one outstanding player, but in terms of that one player single-handedly earning them results and points I can't remember another like Wales with Bale at the moment.

Probably back to the likes of Hagi or Stoichkov.

A rugby playing country's footballing side puts Scotland's talent to shame. Let's face it we are pish and will be for years!

If only there was some kind of measure whereby we could compare ourselves to this Wales team, like, oh I dunno, finishing above them in a recent qualifying campaign :1eye

And they stuffed us twice!

And yet we still finished above them in the group. On that line of thought, presumably you think Burnley should be entitled to Champions League football next season as they have a better head to head record in matches with Man City - if not, why not?

Ach you know what I mean. He was never considered one of the best in the world certainly not to the levels of Giggs, Rush or Bale but was an exceptional talent.[/quote

Neither was Toshack, a hugely over rated player in my opinion, but Hughes was a far better player than the mob you lumped him in with. Hughes was, arguably, a better all round player than Rush.

Archived