Euro 2016 qualifiers

Mr Bairn

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Isle of Man have a team. However, they've no chance of joining UEFA and/or FIFA any time soon. Both organisations changed the rules so that only nations which are independent members of the UN can join.

Gibraltar were able to get in by claiming, successfully, that they got their application in before the rule change.

No new teams look likely to be admitted unless Kosovo gain UN membership which seems unlikely with Serbia's ally Russia having veto powers.

The Isle of Man have a team. However, they've no chance of joining UEFA and/or FIFA any time soon. Both organisations changed the rules so that only nations which are independent members of the UN can join.

Gibraltar were able to get in by claiming, successfully, that they got their application in before the rule change.

No new teams look likely to be admitted unless Kosovo gain UN membership which seems unlikely with Serbia's ally Russia having veto powers.

In practice it makes no difference in Europe as the Faroes and Gibraltar are the only selfgoverning territories and both have obtained access... Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man fall under the FA with Matt le Tissier and Graham le Saux playing for England. Guernsey FC have climbed a good way up the English pyramid, and all 3 are represented in the Inter-League Cup, often doing well. Club sides from IoM have also played in the FA Cup, IIRC.

What areas remain without representation are wannabe states: disputed territories such as Kosovo (who can now play friendlies), or Northern Cyprus. Of course there are a couple of sovereign states which have not joined - obviously the Vatican City isn't really practical, but on paper Monaco has the status and facilities to have a team.

EDIT: In connection with my comment about the Faroes and Gibraltar - I suppose the 'British Possessions in Cyprus' fall into something of the same category, but clearly they are a special case, with no indigenous population wishing to be regarded as other than Cypriot or British... I'd imagine any footballing ambitions in Greenland would look towards CONCACAF.

It's strange that Monaco have never went for UEFA/FIFA membership. The Rainiers are well known sports fans, and AS Monaco should be safe in the French league, considering that Liechtenstein, Andorra and San Marino are all able to have teams in their larger neighbours league system.

It's strange that Monaco have never went for UEFA/FIFA membership. The Rainiers are well known sports fans, and AS Monaco should be safe in the French league, considering that Liechtenstein, Andorra and San Marino are all able to have teams in their larger neighbours league system.

I didn't know that.

What teams are there in these countries and what leagues are they in?

I didn't know that.

What teams are there in these countries and what leagues are they in?

San Marino Calcio play in the 3rd tier of Italian football and Andorra CF play in the Spanish 4th tier. All Liechtenstein teams play in the Swiss system, with Vaduz currently playing in the top tier.

What about Sealand?

Where would they get their players from?

I would love to see a Vatican City international team. A Father Franco Sensini hat-trick against Gibraltar would be a sight to behold.

Even better than that; apparently the Vatican City has the highest crime rate per head of population in the world. Also, the age of consent is currently 12.

Pretty sure Div's forbidden that from being posted in the BRALT to avoid server meltdown.

Doesn't Greenland belong to Denmark?

Yes. It has the same status as the Faroe Islands as a Constituent of the Kingdom of Denmark. I know the odd Danish footballer has orginated from there or had parents or similar connections which could make them eligible if they had a FIFA side. Jesper Gronkjaer is the most famous case, born in Nuk. There may be others.

As regards Monaco, you do wonder why they don't go for it when all the other micro-states already have. They have the stadium, clear wealth to support a squad, and already run an unofficial national team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco_national_football_team

Contrary to popular belief there is domestic football in Monaco. It appears to be played on similar arrangements to San Marino, with clubs put in various parallel pools before a knockout stage to decide the overall champion. There seem to be 20 clubs in this season's top level set-up:

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesm/monaco2014.html

Torben Joneleit, the centrehalf was came to Hibs few seasons ago, was born in Monaco and actually capped for Germany at youth level.

Archived